Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 10:38 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times

Advertisements

These lists are always a little twisted in some ways, but taking fifty percent of a list like this is nice when there are so many that don't really know the metro area, or even feel challenged to get to know it.

These Are The 10 Best Places In Alabama - Movoto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 11:13 AM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
I'm sorry but this list is so bogus it's not even funny. As a resident of Pelham, I can say that yes there is probably very little crime because there's a police car on every corner and they're ready to pull you over at the drop of a hat. So fear is rampant. As far as the income, the income is earned in other parts of the city, so big deal. They can't afford a house in Hoover or Vestavia so they move to Pelham, but they work in Hoover or downtown B'ham. A low unemployment rate. Sure. But again, they're working elsewhere. Just so bogus.

What really get's me on that chart is the weather rank. Pelham has a weather rank of 34 but Hoover has a rank of 68.5? Uh, they are right beside each other. Did a tornado go through Hoover last year or something?

In the metro area Pelham is number one and I'm sorry but that is so false.

I'd like to see the writer of this story try to walk to Pelham High School or ride a bike down highway 261. They will be hit by a car within 20 minutes.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
As a resident of Pelham, I can say that yes there is probably very little crime because there's a police car on every corner and they're ready to pull you over at the drop of a hat. So fear is rampant.
Come on...this is way over the top hyperbole.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:29 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but this list is so bogus it's not even funny. As a resident of Pelham, I can say that yes there is probably very little crime because there's a police car on every corner and they're ready to pull you over at the drop of a hat. So fear is rampant. As far as the income, the income is earned in other parts of the city, so big deal. They can't afford a house in Hoover or Vestavia so they move to Pelham, but they work in Hoover or downtown B'ham. A low unemployment rate. Sure. But again, they're working elsewhere. Just so bogus.

What really get's me on that chart is the weather rank. Pelham has a weather rank of 34 but Hoover has a rank of 68.5? Uh, they are right beside each other. Did a tornado go through Hoover last year or something?

I'd like to see the writer of this story try to walk to Pelham High School or ride a bike down highway 261. They will be hit by a car within 20 minutes.
I agree in a lot of ways. I don't know about police on every corner or anything like that... But it's hard to imagine Pelham being top of the list. However, these results are usually pulled from data and not real life experience. Data can make a fool out of people if not paired with real life experience.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:

LOL, all the places in the metro area with the exception of Mountain Brook are all in Shelby County too.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:11 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Come on...this is way over the top hyperbole.
Yea, your probably right.

But my comment still stands about this list being ridiculus.

Another thing I forget to mention is home prices in Pelham have not rebounded since 2009. If I'm not mistaken, many other areas have. Conclusion.....nobody is moving to Pelham. I guess they're not reviewing these studies.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:42 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Yea, your probably right.

But my comment still stands about this list being ridiculus.

Another thing I forget to mention is home prices in Pelham have not rebounded since 2009. If I'm not mistaken, many other areas have. Conclusion.....nobody is moving to Pelham. I guess they're not reviewing these studies.
Haha. That's ok. Many of use that type of language. "I just ate a thousand chips." "It's freezing outside. (45 degrees)" "There's a police car on every corner." I knew what you meant.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:15 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Haha. That's ok. Many of use that type of language. "I just ate a thousand chips." "It's freezing outside. (45 degrees)" "There's a police car on every corner." I knew what you meant.
Well yeah but it was the "fear is rampant" part that was like...

Now...if you were riding through MB with an expired plate in a candy coated donk or a civic with an unpainted body kit and a fart cannon with the music up too loud....

Yeah. You'll get lit up immediately.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well yeah but it was the "fear is rampant" part that was like...

Now...if you were riding through MB with an expired plate in a candy coated donk or a civic with an unpainted body kit and a fart cannon with the music up too loud....

Yeah. You'll get lit up immediately.
Unless you have gardening implements sticking out the trunk. Then you get an automatic pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area