Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,900 times

Advertisements

Last year was a wild ride... and a very exciting one at that. There were so many new things announced or started. But, as I look around, there's obviously room for plenty more and the demand will be there once these projects are completed. I was at Railroad Park today admiring how beautiful the district is and what a great place it will be to live for those at LIV and Venue. However, there are still a lot of blank spaces. We've gotten a lot of what we hoped for. The grcoery store, the baseball stadium, more green space is coming and whatever amazing plans they have for Powell Steam Plant. In anticipation of the completion of all this stuff this year, what are we hoping for next?

My list:
1. UAB brings football back and announces a stadium where it was previously planned.
2. New Public Transit Option (At least an announcement of BRT or LRT)
3. Dome Stadium Announcement (this year. Obvious one.)
4. Shopping in downtown. (Is that too far away? I'm hoping for an extension of Uptown with some retail.)
5. More flights at the airport.
6. A new hotel. 4 star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Last year was a wild ride... and a very exciting one at that. There were so many new things announced or started. But, as I look around, there's obviously room for plenty more and the demand will be there once these projects are completed. I was at Railroad Park today admiring how beautiful the district is and what a great place it will be to live for those at LIV and Venue. However, there are still a lot of blank spaces. We've gotten a lot of what we hoped for. The grcoery store, the baseball stadium, more green space is coming and whatever amazing plans they have for Powell Steam Plant. In anticipation of the completion of all this stuff this year, what are we hoping for next?

My list:
1. UAB brings football back and announces a stadium where it was previously planned.
2. New Public Transit Option (At least an announcement of BRT or LRT)
3. Dome Stadium Announcement (this year. Obvious one.)
4. Shopping in downtown. (Is that too far away? I'm hoping for an extension of Uptown with some retail.)
5. More flights at the airport.
6. A new hotel. 4 star.
Pretty good list. I would add continuing to see an increase in population within the city limits. 220-230,00 by 2025 is a reasonable goal IMO.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
I don't know the rest of the story of your city, but as an observer of college football I would certainly say UAB got the shaft from the state. I feel for those young players and wouldn't blame them if they wanted the Tide to roll ... right into the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Entertainment.

Movie theatre, bowling, &.

More clubs. Not just hip hop or college alternative or jazz/blues but country.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

446 posts, read 678,058 times
what would the dome stadium do for the area ? would have any big events besides the Magic City Classic ?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
what would the dome stadium do for the area ? would have any big events besides the Magic City Classic ?
Birmingham already hosts an ESPN bowl game. There has been talk of doing an SEC kickoff classic game as well.

That's just football.

The main point of the facility is to host events that are outgrowing or have outgrown the BJCC. The "dome" will be a multi use facility. Football will be one of its many uses and not its main use.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:26 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Birmingham already hosts an ESPN bowl game. There has been talk of doing an SEC kickoff classic game as well.

That's just football.

The main point of the facility is to host events that are outgrowing or have outgrown the BJCC. The "dome" will be a multi use facility. Football will be one of its many uses and not its main use.

Give up Tourian, in twenty years people can't seem to get the details of this project. The facts have been published over and over and still questions like this arise. It seems like selective ingnorance.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Give up Tourian, in twenty years people can't seem to get the details of this project. The facts have been published over and over and still questions like this arise. It seems like selective ingnorance.
Believing the dome/multi use facility will be built after taking about it for 20 years is ignorance in itself.

Build a 35-40,000 seat multi purpose arena and a outdoor stadium to replace Legion Field near the UAB campus and end this dome stadium talk once and for all.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:27 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,823 times
Do you know how long it took to build the Brooklyn Bridge? So if you had been in charge it would be unfinished to this day.

Commitment is a virtue, not a weakness. Great achievement is hardly ever the by-product of compromise.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Do you know how long it took to build the Brooklyn Bridge? So if you had been in charge it would be unfinished to this day.

Commitment is a virtue, not a weakness. Great achievement is hardly ever the by-product of compromise.
It only took 11 years to build the Brooklyn bridge and that was in the late 1800's. People have been talking about this project since the late 80's/early 90's, almost 30 years and still nothing has been done, and were still pouring millions into Legion Field. Its been past time to give up on this idea of a domed facility. Build an new arena for the needed space at the BJCC and a outdoor stadium for football and other outdoor event near the UAB campus and Regions Field to replace Legion Field.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 02-07-2015 at 02:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area