Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM

121 posts, read 163,064 times

Advertisements

All Birmingham needs is something like a jet engine manufacturer or something major that Mobile al landed an it will spark alot in Jeffco more that is going on now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,647,614 times
There is still the matter of the Kaiser property at the airport which would be perfect for something like that.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM

I heard awhile back about that facility being used if not mistaken for something dealing maybe with jets or etc manufacturing

Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,258,117 times
Birmingham should push for a engine manufacturer for Airbus. It'd be cool if Bham & Mobile was working together on something. I think engines are Tier 1, so I think you have to be within 100 miles from the plant but I'm sure Bham could put together a sweet deal. Those engines go for 10m so imagine all the jobs.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 PM

Yea that would be cool , i could see a plant in North jeffco

Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
On the subject of high-rise buildings: The era of the signature "corporate skyscraper" is pretty much over, so even if Birmingham were to land a new Fortune 500 HQ it's unlikely to change the city skyline much. The new NCR HQ in Atlanta, for example, will occupy several mid-rise buildings in the Technology Square section of Midtown. The new Mercedes-Benz HQ is going on a 12-acre campus in Sandy Springs.

With few exceptions, pretty much every new high-rise building under construction or proposed in Atlanta these days is residential -- some condos, but apartments mostly -- and they ain't cheap. Don't know if Birmingham's got the market yet for $1,000 studios or $2,000 1BRs stacked 30 stories high, but that's likely the city's best hope for getting a new high-rise in the near future. Surprised the Novare Group hasn't already thought of it.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM

4,984 posts, read 9,053,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
On the subject of high-rise buildings: The era of the signature "corporate skyscraper" is pretty much over, so even if Birmingham were to land a new Fortune 500 HQ it's unlikely to change the city skyline much. The new NCR HQ in Atlanta, for example, will occupy several mid-rise buildings in the Technology Square section of Midtown. The new Mercedes-Benz HQ is going on a 12-acre campus in Sandy Springs.

With few exceptions, pretty much every new high-rise building under construction or proposed in Atlanta these days is residential -- some condos, but apartments mostly -- and they ain't cheap. Don't know if Birmingham's got the market yet for $1,000 studios or $2,000 1BRs stacked 30 stories high, but that's likely the city's best hope for getting a new high-rise in the near future. Surprised the Novare Group hasn't already thought of it.
Wow I didn't know corporations were changing things up like that. I was crossing my fingers hoping that Airbus would build a 450-500 footer in Mobile smh.I guess my dream is dead.

B-ham may still have a chance especially with a little residentual. Mobile's RSA Battle House Tower is at 90-95 % leased and it houses several things. It is truely a mixed use building. The Battle House has a couple of residentual floors , law offices, it's Regions local Regional branch office, hotel rooms , and a restaraunt was suppose to come on board as well. So it's still possible to get a high rise with out it being all residentual.

I must admit that when and it's not an if but when B-ham get another tower I hope its shorter than the RSA LOL. Just kidding but Mobile had the state's tallest built and completed in the 60's and then Bham had a banking boom which resulted in a high rise boom in the 80's and they built the state's tallest in the 80's. Mobile started constructing the tallest in the early 2000' s. So it seems like there is a 20 year trend between the two cities I hope the time gap closes.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,647,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I must admit that when and it's not an if but when B-ham get another tower I hope its shorter than the RSA LOL.
We were discussing this in another thread and a couple of us figure we would not want a tall building like that sticking up and overshadowing the others, all by itself in midtown - because it could not go in the CBD due to the airport. It would destroy the symmetry of the skyline and no matter how good it looked would ruin things aesthetically. So for a few of us, that's a "record" that can stay in Mobile for the rest of our lives.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Wow I didn't know corporations were changing things up like that. I was crossing my fingers hoping that Airbus would build a 450-500 footer in Mobile smh.I guess my dream is dead.

B-ham may still have a chance especially with a little residentual. Mobile's RSA Battle House Tower is at 90-95 % leased and it houses several things. It is truely a mixed use building. The Battle House has a couple of residentual floors , law offices, it's Regions local Regional branch office, hotel rooms , and a restaraunt was suppose to come on board as well. So it's still possible to get a high rise with out it being all residentual.

I must admit that when and it's not an if but when B-ham get another tower I hope its shorter than the RSA LOL. Just kidding but Mobile had the state's tallest built and completed in the 60's and then Bham had a banking boom which resulted in a high rise boom in the 80's and they built the state's tallest in the 80's. Mobile started constructing the tallest in the early 2000' s. So it seems like there is a 20 year trend between the two cities I hope the time gap closes.
Isn't that new condo project on the beach supposed to be the tallest in the state when finished?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,258,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Isn't that new condo project on the beach supposed to be the tallest in the state when finished?
There is two and if both were completed, they would be 2nd and 4th at 469 and 449 respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
We were discussing this in another thread and a couple of us figure we would not want a tall building like that sticking up and overshadowing the others, all by itself in midtown - because it could not go in the CBD due to the airport. It would destroy the symmetry of the skyline and no matter how good it looked would ruin things aesthetically. So for a few of us, that's a "record" that can stay in Mobile for the rest of our lives.
In my opinion, I think it'd be ideal for Birmingham to just keep the focus on downtown as far as skyscrapers. Bham has density downtown but it'd be nice to see more density in terms of skyscrapers. I'd rather have five 400 footers than two 1000 footers. Look at our skyline in Mobile and see how the RSA tower sticks out. I'd rather have it cut in half and have two 375 footers. Having the title of the tallest is cool but not that important unless you have a bunch around the same height.

Last edited by MPC; 03-24-2015 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Update heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area