U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:44 AM
MPC

692 posts, read 936,979 times

Advertisements

Does Birmingham have any other late 19th-early 20th century buildings going up for renovation? I like to see the restorations and Florentine looks great and even more so on the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 AM

106 posts, read 113,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
Does Birmingham have any other late 19th-early 20th century buildings going up for renovation? I like to see the restorations and Florentine looks great and even more so on the inside.
I think there are plans to do something with the Brown Marx bldg (heaviest corner). I think H2 owns / is heading up the redevelopment. Can anyone confirm?

AND, I think there are plans to do something cool with the tacky yet lovable Quinlain Castle

Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 AM

121 posts, read 121,209 times
What is the Height restriction for Downtown bham? An could a crown go on top the regions building?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:31 AM
MPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
I think there are plans to do something with the Brown Marx bldg (heaviest corner). I think H2 owns / is heading up the redevelopment. Can anyone confirm?

AND, I think there are plans to do something cool with the tacky yet lovable Quinlain Castle
The first one could be converted to housing. With some renovation it would look great IMO but for some reason I can see the castle becoming a hotel, IDK why but that's what I see

Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,657,440 times
Last I heard they were supposed to turn the Quinlan into a learning center...

SRI to invest $10M to renovate Quinlan Castle into education center - Birmingham Business Journal

If not that or a hotel, it looks like it could be one of theme restaurants where they put on a Medieval Rennaissance Fair and you can watch some dudes in armor joust and hit each other with morning stars while maidens with those tight corsets and bustiers serve you mutton and wine in goblets.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM

106 posts, read 113,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

SRI to invest $10M to renovate Quinlan Castle into education center - Birmingham Business Journal

If not that or a hotel, it looks like it could be one of theme restaurants where they put on a Medieval Rennaissance Fair and you can watch some dudes in armor joust and hit each other with morning stars while maidens with those tight corsets and bustiers serve you mutton and wine in goblets.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:12 AM
MPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

If for education, maybe law or charter? As far as fair idea, it could work, guess there's a market for everything haha

Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 PM

780 posts, read 732,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post

Yes, H2 owns the building and plans to turn the building into residential. They bought this building at a steal. As the city grows and land values go up, the people who bought properties like this, Thomas Jefferson, and Pizitz are going to be sitting pretty.

Not sure why H2 hasn't started yet. I know they have the resources. They are working on developing a lot of projects right now though.

I think I'm most excited about Pizitz. That building is stunning to me.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:11 PM

6,229 posts, read 8,379,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Memphis' metro has 1.3M, compared to your 1.1M. That's rather impressive for a metro with a small central city population. Memphis proper is about 650K. B'ham is about 210K. Add 400K and you all would be over 1.5.
What that illustrates is that Memphis city proper has MUCH more land than Birmingham AND that Birmingham is still losing people to its suburbs.

Memphis has 315 square miles of land at a density of 2,000 people per square mile, rather low.
Birmingham has 150 square miles of land at a density of 1,415 people per square mile, which is extremely low.

Being that they are southern cities they are more apt to expand through sprawl. Most of the metro in Memphis is due to its suburbs, the city grows, but slowly. Birmingham proper has been shrinking for over 50 years now. It won't reach 2 million for at LEAST another 50 years. You have to consider how slow the population of the state of Alabama has grown.

Alabama was 3.8 million people in 1980 in 2010 it was 4.8 million. It took 30 years for the entire state of Alabama to add 1 million people, and not all of those people moved to Birmingham. So no, Birmingham is at least 50 or more years away from 2 million, unless something seriously changes there.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,657,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Not sure why H2 hasn't started yet. I know they have the resources. They are working on developing a lot of projects right now though.
To me, that just says they may just want to flip it once the value gets to a certain level. I doubt it will still idle too long I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area