Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:43 AM

410 posts, read 360,991 times

Advertisements

There aren't a whole lot of places I would feel completely safe in metro birmingham. Most of mountain brook for sure and large parts of vestavia. Large parts of homewood and Hoover I wouldn't feel safe in, and I'm not just talking about north of valley Or west of green springs either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:22 PM

109 posts, read 144,598 times
Tacosman I'm not familiar with Hoover nowadays and this statement comes as a surprise. Which areas in Hoover do you feel aren't safe?

Old 03-22-2015, 05:34 PM

410 posts, read 360,991 times
Lots of the streets off Lorna road area for starters

Old 03-23-2015, 02:33 AM

I didn't realize that, years ago it was a safe good area. We will be moving to Bham at some stage in the next year or so and will be looking at the Hoover, Bluff Park, Riverchase area amongst others so this is good to know, thank you.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,916 times
It doesn't matter what area of town you are on. I go everywhere. From Smithfield to Mountian Brook to Talladega. Shot houses in woods to The Club, the rules apply in all areas:

1. Be aware of your surroundings.

2. Don't talk to strangers. Any stranger. Male or female. Black or white. Old or young. MIND YOUR BUSINESS and don't tell them anything about yours.

3. Don't be too friendly. If you see someone who needs help or appears to be in distress don't jump in and be Superman. It could be a trap. Get to a safe location & call 911.

4. If you are somewhere (Walmart, hospital, park, mall) and it looks like "something" is about to pop off...I suggest you don't hang around a watch. Haul azz ASAP.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miv View Post
It doesn't matter what area of town you are on. I go everywhere. From Smithfield to Mountian Brook to Talladega. Shot houses in woods to The Club, the rules apply in all areas:

1. Be aware of your surroundings.

2. Don't talk to strangers. Any stranger. Male or female. Black or white. Old or young. MIND YOUR BUSINESS and don't tell them anything about yours.

3. Don't be too friendly. If you see someone who needs help or appears to be in distress don't jump in and be Superman. It could be a trap. Get to a safe location & call 911.

4. If you are somewhere (Walmart, hospital, park, mall) and it looks like "something" is about to pop off...I suggest you don't hang around a watch. Haul azz ASAP.
That is quite a sad read Miv. That is one thing that appeals to us about Bham, the friendliness of the locals. Being away for many years I am taken back by it. Love the fact that everyone seems to just start talking to you for example while standing in line at a store or waiting for a table in a restaurant and of course all the pleasantries and smiley faces wherever you go.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSim View Post
That is quite a sad read Miv. That is one thing that appeals to us about Bham, the friendliness of the locals. Being away for many years I am taken back by it. Love the fact that everyone seems to just start talking to you for example while standing in line at a store or waiting for a table in a restaurant and of course all the pleasantries and smiley faces wherever you go.

One of the things that can be least trusted in Birmingham or any other city, is the internet. There is little truth shared on forums. Most is twisted opinion and some people actually try to be misleading in a harmful way.

Life in Birmingham is quite pleasant and as safe as anywhere else, no actually safer than many places.

A good example of what I have written is the comments about Lorna Road. What has changed is that it has become an urban street. That does bring some need for urban savvy, but on the other hand it is a street full of restaurants shopping and one of the city's botanical gardens. Hardly what was described above.

Hopefully anyone that feels the need to have safety guidance will seek it out from official sources. But actually Birmingham is a pretty typical American city, no reason for exceptional caution.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.mhernandez View Post
Don't listen to the people who say crime is only in certain areas...much of the crime happens right in downtown Birmingham. I was robbed at gunpoint right in the middle of the supposedly safe entertainment district 5 Points and this was at only 7:45 on a Saturday. We also had 3 armed security guards at my old workplace due to robberies and that was on 7th Ave South in Bham..right near UAB.

Interesting, I lived in 3 places all within the City Center (Glen Iris, Five Points South, and what is now known as the Park District) over a period of 7 years. I never had any encounters of feeling unsafe or being robbed at all. As a matter of fact, I used to walk around Downtown and the Southside alone at night quite often.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
One of the things that can be least trusted in Birmingham or any other city, is the internet. There is little truth shared on forums. Most is twisted opinion and some people actually try to be misleading in a harmful way.

Life in Birmingham is quite pleasant and as safe as anywhere else, no actually safer than many places.

A good example of what I have written is the comments about Lorna Road. What has changed is that it has become an urban street. That does bring some need for urban savvy, but on the other hand it is a street full of restaurants shopping and one of the city's botanical gardens. Hardly what was described above.

Hopefully anyone that feels the need to have safety guidance will seek it out from official sources. But actually Birmingham is a pretty typical American city, no reason for exceptional caution.
Perguntas, that just goes to show how long I've been away, I have never heard of the botanical gardens near Lorna Road! In the past it was a good(ish) area but had strip malls and the like that weren't the most attractive but it was still quite safe so surprised to hear it is urban. Will have to visit the area when I arrive in May.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Aldridge Gardens is a very nice spot to walk, relax and enjoy the nice scenery. Families, couples, wedding receptions etc... very clean, very well kept and very safe.

The worst of the apartment complexes was torn down and the majority of it replaced with a Wal-Mart neighborhood market. And in general, the days of 30-40 Mexican day laborers standing around at the Chevron are over. I think this was the source of why some people think of Lorna as a bad area but the only area in question was the block or two between Patton Chapel and 459. Now, its pretty much just standard suburbia, from beginning to end. You will still see a higher quotient of Mexicans around there, so if that sort of thing bothers you or makes you automatically feel as if your life is in danger - you won't be comfortable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area