Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major league sport shows up in the Ham first?
NBA Action is Fantastic 27 29.67%
NFL Real Football 9 9.89%
Baseball 8 8.79%
Futbol 19 20.88%
Who cares?!!! Roll Blaze Damn Eagles!!! 5 5.49%
RAWR None! I'm gonna create more C/D acounts to vote NO over and over again! 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,737,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Did you already forget the post I made that you quoted (and bolded) about a billionaire or a group of people buying an available franchise? "If you are Selma" obviously means someone or some group wanting to put a team in Selma. As if it needs to be explained to you that we aren't talking about putting a team in a place that isn't capitalized to support it, nor has a TV market big enough to make it relevant.

You honestly can't be this dense. It is just the same ole thing that happens everytime you vainly try to match your wits with mine. You get butthurt and start saying silly things. Probably best just to declare victory, claim the discussion is beneath you and bow out...again.
Everyone knows that Birmingham would be near the bottom if not the very bottom of a free agent destination in the pro sports world. I don't have to declare victory when everyone can see something so plainly obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Everyone knows that Birmingham would be near the bottom if not the very bottom of a free agent destination in the pro sports world. I don't have to declare victory when everyone can see something so plainly obvious.
You do not know the motivations or desires or values of every free agent. Everyone can see that you are deeply deluded in to believing you have some sort of inside track to what makes every athlete tick. Or that it is up to you to decide what place Birmingham is on such a "destination list." The above statement is so full of arrogance and self aggrandizement there's nothing of merit to counter.

LeBron chose to leave Miami to go back home to Cleveland.

And if that is a victory to you then so be it. It isn't even the point or even a major talking point of this thread. But that's how you roll.

Last edited by Tourian; 05-20-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
You do not know the motivations of every free agent. Everyone can see that you are deeply deluded in to believing you have some sort of inside track to what makes every athlete tick.

LeBron chose to leave Miami to go back home to Cleveland.
Yes, to go back home. To bring a championship to a city that hasn't had one in 5 decades after he already cemented his legacy by leaving Cleveland to go to a better, more desirable situation in Miami.

Why don't you go over the selling points of Birmingham over other cities.

Weather? Maybe. But probably not significantly.
No state income tax? Nope.
Huge market to build a worldwide brand? No.
Cosmopolitan, Hollywood vibe? Nope.
Rich tradition of championships? Nope.
Wide array of entertainment options for the rich? Not even close.

Birmingham isn't a bad place, but it would be at a BIG disadvantage in attracting free agents to play. The fact you won't just admit this shows how delusional or ignorant (take your pick) you are.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, to go back home.
That's what I said. You have trouble reading.

Quote:
Why don't you go over the selling points of Birmingham over other cities. The fact you won't just admit this shows how delusional or ignorant (take your pick) you are.

Dude, there's A LOT OF STUFF you say that I don't bother answering to. That's not a weakness on my part, that just shows how pointless I think most of the stuff you say is.

You and JDawson can go out and count the number of places that valet, the expensive steakhouses, the number of exotic cars around, million dollar residences, the dimes with fake boobs and Prada bags and see if Birmingham measures up. It doesn't matter.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 PM

106 posts, read 161,006 times
Quote:

Weather? Maybe. But probably not significantly.
No state income tax? Nope.
Huge market to build a worldwide brand? No.
Cosmopolitan, Hollywood vibe? Nope.
Rich tradition of championships? Nope.
Wide array of entertainment options for the rich? Not even close.
Hahaha this is how you argue?

Quote:

Weather? B'ham's weather is superior to every city north of Nashville. Retard..
No state income tax? In the words of Randy Moss, straight cash homie. Out of the 7 states that don't have state income tax in 2015, only 4 host professional sports. Retard.
Huge market to build a worldwide brand? Birmingham's TV market is larger than the following: Vegas, Albuquerque, OKC, Jacksonville, Louisville, Memphis, New Orleans, Austin, Buffalo, Green Bay. Retard.
Cosmopolitan, Hollywood vibe? Let's see, how many cities have a Hollywood vibe outside of Hollywood. Miami, Vegas, NYC maybe . . . and that concludes that list. Hilarious that you think that Salt Lake City, OKC, Memphis, Buffalo, and Green Bay are more 'cosmopolitain' cities than Birmingham. Retard.
Rich tradition of championships? Nope.Need a team here before you can start racking trophies. Retard.
Wide array of entertainment options for the rich? Not even close.See Memphis, OKC, Buffalo, Green Bay, Salt Lake City. Retard.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,324,679 times
Yet another of these threads. I knew the moment I saw JDawson posted. And then the usual toxic guy shows up. (they know who they are, or should for calling people names)

This is my one contribution because this is not constructive, and of course it was not meant to be.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:11 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,324,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
Hahaha this is how you argue?
Well, just one more post to acknowledge a reasonable poster who possesses pragmatism in the face of 'fanboi' logic.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 PM

187 posts, read 212,841 times
I don't know steveklein but I do agree with him on his selling points. Bham has very very few selling points unless you've never been anywhere else or if you're from Montgomery, Mobile, Huntsville, or anywhere in Mississippi.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That's what I said. You have trouble reading.

Dude, there's A LOT OF STUFF you say that I don't bother answering to. That's not a weakness on my part, that just shows how pointless I think most of the stuff you say is.

You and JDawson can go out and count the number of places that valet, the expensive steakhouses, the number of exotic cars around, million dollar residences, the dimes with fake boobs and Prada bags and see if Birmingham measures up. It doesn't matter.
It may not matter to you, but it points to significant economic activity. And it definitely matters to professional athletes looking to command 8 figure salaries.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
It may not matter to you, but it points to significant economic activity. And it definitely matters to professional athletes looking to command 8 figure salaries.
It is all about who is giving out these 8 figure salaries. Who is a starter and who rides the bench. Who gets traded and is a journeyman hired gun with no loyalty and who wants to be a franchise player and the face of an organization. Some guys rent, some guys buy. Most realize they can easily be traded or cut from a team at any given moment.

So there's no blanket summary judgment that can be placed by you or anybody looking to pigeonhole one city's ability to attract talent over another nor does that ability guarantee a championship.

I notice you have no rebuttal for Mick's post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area