Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major league sport shows up in the Ham first?
NBA Action is Fantastic 27 29.67%
NFL Real Football 9 9.89%
Baseball 8 8.79%
Futbol 19 20.88%
Who cares?!!! Roll Blaze Damn Eagles!!! 5 5.49%
RAWR None! I'm gonna create more C/D acounts to vote NO over and over again! 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 AM

187 posts, read 212,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Birmingham is a small market and the NBA thrives as a small market sport. I think Birmingham could definitely work for NBA. Birmingham is 3 spots behind San Antonio and bigger than NO, Memphis, and OKC.
How can you say Bham is bigger than NO, Memphis, and OKC. The thing about NO is it has stigma and character that people are attracted to and will travel there. It's a very different culture despite the crime. OKC is an awesome and clean city.

I just don't see Bham having an appeal. There's very little interesting there.
Attached Thumbnails
Major League-city-size.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,737,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
How can you say Bham is bigger than NO, Memphis, and OKC. The thing about NO is it has stigma and character that people are attracted to and will travel there. It's a very different culture despite the crime. OKC is an awesome and clean city.

I just don't see Bham having an appeal. There's very little interesting there.
Probably referencing MSA or TV market size which is a better indicator than merely city population. Does anyone think of Fresno as bigger than Atlanta?

With that being said, Birmingham would struggle to attract free agents to play in the city. While the most important things in deciding where to play might be the best sports situation for a player (and of course amount of money offered), other things factor in and Birmingham would come in near the very bottom in those X factors. Nobody is going to think building their brand is better in Birmingham than New York or Los Angeles. Nobody is going to think Birmingham has a more exciting nightlife scene than Miami or Dallas. The two things Birmingham would have going for it is a lower cost of living than most places and generally good weather... but that wouldn't be enough to get players on the fence to come to Birmingham.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Probably referencing MSA or TV market size which is a better indicator than merely city population. Does anyone think of Fresno as bigger than Atlanta?

With that being said, Birmingham would struggle to attract free agents to play in the city. While the most important things in deciding where to play might be the best sports situation for a player (and of course amount of money offered), other things factor in and Birmingham would come in near the very bottom in those X factors. ... and generally good weather... but that wouldn't be enough to get players on the fence to come to Birmingham.
Agree. I could see them coming here for the future sports opportunity and/or money. They would probably keep a sweet loft in Buckhead for the weekends and for their families.

I have to disagree with you on the good weather thing. I'll take almost any weather over humidity. Things start to get dryer the further west you go past the Louisiana border.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The reason Nashville can support so much more is because it has flare, something desirable and pizazz that bham does not have. Not to mention, it has tons more money!

Who would own the team in bham? Every other team (correct me if I'm wrong) is owned by a local/semi-local Billionaire. Bham doesn't have one of those.

The same argument could be made about, why doesn't the Summit or Galleria have valet parking? No demand. Why isnt there a Mortons our Houstons steakhouse? No demand. Why aren't there high rise penthouses for sale around the million dollar mark? No demand. Other cities have all this and desire more.
The Green Bay Packers are publicly owned. Also, Marguerite Harbert is worth about $2 billion.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,670,076 times
You guys are so grasping at straws it is pathetic. Please tell me what is so picturesque and lovely about playing in Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, Green Bay, Oakland or any of a dozen other cities I could come up with that have as bad or worse crime, bad weather or any of the other lame excuses you can come up with.

All the report says is that we can support a team, not that we are going to get a team.

Players play for money. That's it. And if you offer them enough money they will go play in a place like Buffalo or OKC where there is nothing particularly nice or trendy or beautiful. There are only so many spots on a team, they can't all play for New York or Miami.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You guys are so grasping at straws it is pathetic. Please tell me what is so picturesque and lovely about playing in Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, Green Bay, Oakland or any of a dozen other cities I could come up with that have as bad or worse crime, bad weather or any of the other lame excuses you can come up with.

All the report says is that we can support a team, not that we are going to get a team.

Players play for money. That's it. And if you offer them enough money they will go play in a place like Buffalo or OKC where there is nothing particularly nice or trendy or beautiful. There are only so many spots on a team, they can't all play for New York or Miami.
It is different sport to sport. For football, I agree that Birmingham wouldn't really be at a significant disadvantage because there are so many roster spots and a hard salary cap. Basketball, not so much. Superstars run that league and they want to play in big markets. Not too many top level free agents in that league sign with teams in small to mid-size markets unless they are right at the cusp of winning a championship. It is much easier to attract players to Boston or Houston than Birmingham. Though Baltimore, Detroit, and Cleveland have their fair share of problems... they all offer far more than Birmingham in terms of entertainment options for the young and rich. And Oakland is part of the San Francisco area...

Yes, if you offer them enough money, players will go play there. But if you don't think Memphis, Oklahoma City, and Charlotte are at a disadvantage in attracting free agents to play there compared to Chicago, Dallas, and Philadelphia, then you are kidding yourself. Especially in the NBA.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers are publicly owned. Also, Marguerite Harbert is worth about $2 billion.
marguerite harbert died back in March and I'm not sure her heirs even live in Bham anymore. I'm pretty sure I would have known them around the Mtn Brook scene.

I would hate to see our city own a team. End of story.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I would hate to see our city own a team. End of story.
Don't you live in California? What does it matter to you except to bring abstract negativity to this thread?
You haven't provided a single salient, valid or even coherent reason as to why Birmingham can't support a team and it is obvious you are just here to throw shade. "No valet parking at the Summit...means no team." Ha ha ha.. They offer valet parking in front of Fleming's. They valet in front of the major hotels. They valet down at Highland's. What an inane thing to bring up.

But, you did say "end of story" so I hope that's a promise.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It is different sport to sport. For football, I agree that Birmingham wouldn't really be at a significant disadvantage because there are so many roster spots and a hard salary cap. Basketball, not so much. Superstars run that league and they want to play in big markets. Not too many top level free agents in that league sign with teams in small to mid-size markets unless they are right at the cusp of winning a championship. It is much easier to attract players to Boston or Houston than Birmingham. Though Baltimore, Detroit, and Cleveland have their fair share of problems... they all offer far more than Birmingham in terms of entertainment options for the young and rich. And Oakland is part of the San Francisco area...
All that when you could have just said, "Yes, you are right." And every year the teams with the poorest records get the top draft picks.

Quote:
Yes, if you offer them enough money, players will go play there. But if you don't think Memphis, Oklahoma City, and Charlotte are at a disadvantage in attracting free agents to play there compared to Chicago, Dallas, and Philadelphia, then you are kidding yourself. Especially in the NBA.
Another strawman. I neither said nor implied such a thing. I just responded to a ludicrous absolute "point" that Birmingham would not be able to get talented free agents to play for them. So now the goal post as been moved to "it would be tough" or it would be "at a disadvantage" to bigger, trendier cities. Right, because that is all that is in play, and that is all that matters. Not coaches, trainers, strategies, staff, nothing.. Which city is the prettiest and the cleanest and wins the most threads on C-D wins. Because every year New York or Miami or San Francisco wins the championship in all the major sports...

Oh wait.

It is difficult and requires an ongoing effort to field a pro team no matter what city you are in.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 AM

I don't live in CA. I work there some. You didn't address the other valid points I made. Furthermore, most cities have valet parking even just to walk into their malls. At every entrance. I'm not talking about the one off steakhouses. I'm just make a very general observation. It's not that the city sucks, I'm just saying there's not a demand for top-tier things or amenities that other make other cities awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area