Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 AM

81 posts, read 70,441 times

Advertisements

A lot of these projects are similar looking / styled buildings in Parkside (besides Denham).

I really hope someone goes more vertical with one of the warehouse buildings near RR Park. I think a nice modern looking high rise would do well there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,206,560 times
yeah, most of these are indistinguishable. not necessarily a bad thing for an area to have a (somewhat) "cohesive" look... i just wonder how well this style will hold up over time.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 AM

141 posts, read 175,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
yeah, most of these are indistinguishable. not necessarily a bad thing for an area to have a (somewhat) "cohesive" look... i just wonder how well this style will hold up over time.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this earlier. My wife and I are up in B'ham often (UAB and family) and we love the city and it's vibrancy and growth. It would be sad to overburden the city core with the same basic design when one of the major appeals of a city is it's diversity in architectural design, function, space, etc. It is a great town and I can only imagine what the future holds. We are considering a move to Huntsville but only because we are older and it is a little more relaxed. It would be nice to see the two cities eventually grow together into one continuous urban/ suburban band much like what is happening in the ATL to Raleigh corridor.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:11 AM

^ most of huntsville's suburban growth is west, whereas most of birmingham's is south.

i don't see it happening. even cullman doesn't feel like it belongs to either (in my opinion), although i think technically it's part of the birmingham CSA.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this earlier. My wife and I are up in B'ham often (UAB and family) and we love the city and it's vibrancy and growth. It would be sad to overburden the city core with the same basic design when one of the major appeals of a city is it's diversity in architectural design, function, space, etc. It is a great town and I can only imagine what the future holds. We are considering a move to Huntsville but only because we are older and it is a little more relaxed. It would be nice to see the two cities eventually grow together into one continuous urban/ suburban band much like what is happening in the ATL to Raleigh corridor.

I definitely see the two as linked in a number of ways, and should have synergistic growth. I don't necessarily see the continuous development chiefly due to terrain. The valley and hill nature of the topography between Birmingham and the Tennessee River is an obstacle.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:04 AM

443 posts, read 329,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbirmingham View Post
Not even to mention the unannounced rumored projects at Sherman Industries and another location the BBJ hinted at yesterday. I am a little leery that all of these won't be filled, but clearly these companies like the financial projections they are looking at. That should make us feel more confident, imo.

I think this project is one of the better looking new builds, as well.
That's true. I just wonder when they're assessing the future market if they're just looking at population trends/anticipated UAB enrollment growth or if they're also factoring in the increased competition from other new developments.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:20 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,749,276 times
While it is true that many of the new buildings over the last 10-15 years have been 4-7 story mid-rise buildings of the same general style, it is important to remember there are many hundreds, if not thousands, of buildings in the core of the city. So don't fret about our city becoming an architectural bore just because a few dozen buildings built over the last 10-15 years have the same general style (and let's not forget, not all of them do... you've got new UAB buildings, Children's, the two taller developments in 5 points, Liv on Fifth, quite a few others...)

Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 AM

Tower crane is up for Ascend (the 17-story high rise formerly on the site of The Break in Five Points).

Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 PM

81 posts, read 70,441 times
Southtown Court demolition to begin in late summer 2020:

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/sout...mmer-2020.html

Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 AM

^ rendering that accompanied the meeting (note that this is purely conceptual):

*edit*
now that I look at it... isn't this rendering backwards?? that skyline view is what you see coming from the north, correct? maybe I'm crazy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area