Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 02:59 PM

401 posts, read 535,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Heh. I thought about posting that here.

I miss the electronic board too but depending on what UAB does with it, maybe I won't any more. I would most certainly like to see a big HD board go up....but I'll be okay if the only one that does ends up hanging over a new arena floor.
Imagine what an HD board could do for the aesthetics of downtown / the skyline. Ads, info, greetings, animation . . . it'd be a nice little addition. "Who pays for it?" and light nuisance takes that off the table pretty quickly I'd imagine.

I'm thrilled that UAB is doing something with it, that Pepsi sign just clashed terribly with the surroundings. Dark green (presumed) / white will look 1000x better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:03 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,520 times
Well, I and one of my friends here were the most vigorous in our condemnation of this sign. And again, we are.

Just as we started fighting against billboards along highways decades ago, there should be no signs on the tops of buildings that advertise 'ANYTHING'. It is tasteless and detracts from all the architecture around it.

Some vintage buildings had raised roof signs (Peabody), which is perfectly in character. Anything else is an horrendous move in the wrong directions. So what if six or seven other owners want to top their buildings. Where is this going?

As to UAB; love 'em, but I don't want to see that sick green every single place that it can be sloshed.

Perhaps one day the city will be growing and progressing so much more that this space will lose the attention of idiots that think they just have to stick their favorite cause up there.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 AM

522 posts, read 846,183 times
Tattersall Park

RBY Retail now has a working website, and it seems that Tattersall Park is still a go!?! Here are the proposed site plan and leasing details.

I spoke with a lady from Costco the other day, and she mentioned to me that 280 is one of several locations, that they are scouring for their 2nd location...others being Trussville, Leeds, and Gardendale. I guess we shall see see.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:41 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,520 times
EBSCO is certainly a major player and to be respected. Richard Yeilding, I am not so sure he has what it takes to develop this land.
The location is astronomical and I hope it won't be wasted piecemeal.

The information on the RBY site was a jumble from the original project and updated projections that were disheartening at best. A grocery store and a large sporting goods store as the two main anchors? Do we need more of that in the one mile area; certainly not, unless both were exceptional. In fact this was most likely just an exercise for a jobless draftsman.

If they get serious, perhaps it will have some of the grandeur of the original design. Otherwise this website shows a glorified big box center. (it took thirty years to fill Brook Highland with mediocre stores in a high income area.)

If EBSCO lends a spokes person to this possible project then it would gain a huge amount of credibility.

It failed to get off the ground before because of infrastructure and economic fluctuation. This certainly seems like the right time for the right project as the metro area has little available retail space in the right areas. But more big box on US280 is not the right project. We will see I suppose.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:34 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Well that didn't take long...

Economic Development Partnership of Alabama moving downtown | AL.com

Quote:
With EDPA moving in, Baker's Row is now 100 percent leased.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Tattersall Park

RBY Retail now has a working website, and it seems that Tattersall Park is still a go!?! Here are the proposed site plan and leasing details.

I spoke with a lady from Costco the other day, and she mentioned to me that 280 is one of several locations, that they are scouring for their 2nd location...others being Trussville, Leeds, and Gardendale. I guess we shall see see.
Since they seem to not be able to buy off those holdouts where at the 459/59 corner I could see them going out to Leeds at Grand River or somewhere down 280.

A generic big box center at Tattersall would be a big let down. It needed to be high end boutique style shopping. Inverness Corners, Lee Branch, and Brook Highland and the other five or six strip centers have the generic stuff covered.

But we'll see.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:05 PM

Excellent news. Parkside is on the launching pad. I give it 24 moths before it's every bit a distinct entertainment district as the others.

This is a smaller tidbit, but the StarDome comedy club has announced a major renovation starting in mid-March. The reno should be completed by April

IMO, the club is a huge and largely unsung entertainment asset for our metro. It has a tremendous reputation amongst comedians, and is hands-down one the premier comedy houses in the South. Seinfeld, Rock, Louis CK, Chappelle, Cedric the Entertainer, Kevin Hart . . . just a few of the names that have played the StarDome over the years. It was the stage upon which Steve Harvey's career was launched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAIsdGzhJBM

It's Hoover location is less-than-ideal for Bham in 2016, but the fact that it has maintained steady business for nearly 30 years speaks to the level of talent that consistently passes through, as well as 'Hamian's insatiable desire for good comedy. Here's hoping for another 30 great years.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:21 PM

Yeah it was neat for them to have a by invitation only event for Kevin Hart recently. I am glad that it has survived so long being tucked away in a corner of Hoover like it is.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:08 PM

I'm sorry to clutter this thread, but though it worth mentioning the recent Kevin Hart night @ the StarDome was filmed for an upcoming Comedy Central special. Always love when celebrities choose B'ham as their showcase venue (Wilder, USWNT, Hart).

Old 03-10-2016, 06:54 PM

522 posts, read 846,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Excellent news. Parkside is on the launching pad. I give it 24 moths before it's every bit a distinct entertainment district as the others.

This is a smaller tidbit, but the StarDome comedy club has announced a major renovation starting in mid-March. The reno should be completed by April

IMO, the club is a huge and largely unsung entertainment asset for our metro. It has a tremendous reputation amongst comedians, and is hands-down one the premier comedy houses in the South. Seinfeld, Rock, Louis CK, Chappelle, Cedric the Entertainer, Kevin Hart . . . just a few of the names that have played the StarDome over the years. It was the stage upon which Steve Harvey's career was launched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAIsdGzhJBM

It's Hoover location is less-than-ideal for Bham in 2016, but the fact that it has maintained steady business for nearly 30 years speaks to the level of talent that consistently passes through, as well as 'Hamian's insatiable desire for good comedy. Here's hoping for another 30 great years.
Before it is all said and done, I am sure there will be a comedy club come to the central city area...whether it's Parkside, Uptown,the Theater District, Five Points South, or Lakeview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area