Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 03:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times

Advertisements

Some new life for the Liberty National building. Looks like they want to save the old girl.
Liberty National building to be revamped as part of 20 Midtown development | AL.com

Quote:
The purchase of the Liberty National Building brings a new feel to the 20 Midtown development. At 16 stories, it's far taller than the other pieces, and the only historic building. But they're keeping mum on what the plans are for the building for now, and say they expect to announce uses for the building in late spring or early summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM

902 posts, read 829,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Some new life for the Liberty National building. Looks like they want to save the old girl.
Liberty National building to be revamped as part of 20 Midtown development | AL.com
I'm just speechless! Downtown is booming, and just imagine what's going to happen when/if the historic tax credits are reinstated in this upcoming legislative session.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
I'm just speechless! Downtown is booming, and just imagine what's going to happen when/if the historic tax credits are reinstated in this upcoming legislative session.
That's what I was thinking. To have this kind of demand, to push them to make a move on this building with plans to renovate it...even without the HTC in place...it speaks volumes to the potential of 20 Midtown and its success and the revival in general. Or maybe they know the law is coming back and what to have the property in inventory before someone else gets it. Either way, good times.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:53 PM

Now we can scratch another really large building off the vacant list. Hopefully, Brown Marx will be next.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Now we can scratch another really large building off the vacant list. Hopefully, Brown Marx will be next.
I was thinking the same thing...or at least scratch it off the derelict-with-no-purpose-owned-by-a-holding-company list. I have a lot less doubt that the 20 Midtown developers will get something going soon.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:57 PM

401 posts, read 535,842 times
That's awesome. But I wonder -- that thing even salvageable? I'm glad it's already been changed into capable hands, but methinks that building's a bit further gone than they realize. Pure speculation. Hope it all pans out. It's sort of this monolithic eyesore when unused, but could take on new life with the right idea.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:19 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
That's awesome. But I wonder -- that thing even salvageable? I'm glad it's already been changed into capable hands, but methinks that building's a bit further gone than they realize. Pure speculation. Hope it all pans out. It's sort of this monolithic eyesore when unused, but could take on new life with the right idea.
I have read that it isn't salvageable in terms of modern office space... but in terms of converting it into residential units... I do not know.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 PM

508 posts, read 615,454 times
If they decide to tear down the two buildings, it would be a nice spot to put two unique 20 story condos with more green space, if possible.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
If they decide to tear down the two buildings, it would be a nice spot to put two unique 20 story condos with more green space, if possible.
The condition of the buildings may be so bad that demolition becomes the only path forward. A different developer wanted to demolish it and build a 12 story office building back around 2010. I won't be mad at all if they knock it down and replace it with a 20+ story office building.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:21 PM

401 posts, read 535,842 times
Quote:
The condition of the buildings may be so bad that demolition becomes the only path forward. A different developer wanted to demolish it and build a 12 story office building back around 2010. I won't be mad at all if they knock it down and replace it with a 20+ story office building.
If that is the fate of the Liberty National Building, I'm not sure how I or we -- knowing how most of us on the board are about development tastes -- would like it. Would we prefer green space over having a building? Would we like a more modern 8-10 story building vs what's already there? Sure the LNB isn't attractive by any stretch, but it does provide good height and density for that block, and with the right facelift, could take on a new light. But if it's knocked down, it's almost certain that a 5-8 floor condo-ish development would go up in its place. The odds that anyone would want to put up another building with similar size as the LNB is virtually nil. So would we want to sacrifice height for modernity? Density for aesthetics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area