Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:07 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Thank's your opinion, but I cannot disagree more...
The second part is certainly a reasonable disagreement because most cities that are "overrated" are thought of as some of the best while underrated are cities with a bad stigma (whether deserved or not) or just simply overlooked...

...However, buzzfeed is nothing but click bait and taking any of their lists without a heaping of salt is not advisable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 PM

106 posts, read 162,022 times
Steve, I don't know how else to say this, so I'm just going to say it.

I hate you.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:31 AM

103 posts, read 252,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
buzzfeed is nothing but click bait and taking any of their lists without a heaping of salt is not advisable.
You are spot on. The reality is most "news" organizations today have an agenda and you have to filter what you read.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:56 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The second part is certainly a reasonable disagreement because most cities that are "overrated" are thought of as some of the best while underrated are cities with a bad stigma (whether deserved or not) or just simply overlooked...

...However, buzzfeed is nothing but click bait and taking any of their lists without a heaping of salt is not advisable.
That argument would hold weight if Buzzfeed was so trite and trifling as Gawker Media-owned outlet which are gossip websites masquerading as news organizations, but actually Buzzfeed has delivered quite a number of articles that has broken stories on credibility evidence about major news and nuanced social critiques of contemporary issues particularly racial bias, homophobia, etc. Thus, that is the reason why I disagree with your entire assessment of that organization.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,156 times
It's hard to argue with Steve's point when Buzzfeed produces articles like this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/miriamberger...-ruler-are-you

Most of their "articles" are just lists with quotes from other sources. They aren't a legitimate news site or anything of the sort.

However, they are just following suit of other websites that have named Birmingham as an up and coming city... So their posting this doesn't negate the fact that the city has a lot of momentum right now. But a standalone article from Buzzfeed wouldn't hold much water if any at all.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Every news outlet has fluff pieces, especially the online ones.

If you are going to attack something, attack the validity of the article itself, not just the site it came from, especially since a site or news organization employs different people.

Also, it would help the "validity" of an argument against it to go through and explain why none or a significant portion of the choices are underrated and desirable as opposed to just calling the whole thing bunk because Birmingham is on there.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:35 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Every news outlet has fluff pieces, especially the online ones.

If you are going to attack something, attack the validity of the article itself, not just the site it came from, especially since a site or news organization employs different people.

Also, it would help the "validity" of an argument against it to go through and explain why none or a significant portion of the choices are underrated and desirable as opposed to just calling the whole thing bunk because Birmingham is on there.
Well, I'm not calling it bunk because Birmingham is on there... Unless you are responding to someone else's post. I think it's pretty clear that I'm an advocate of the growth of Birmingham.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 PM

103 posts, read 252,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Thank's your opinion, but I cannot disagree more...
I am just glad to see Birmingham recognized in a positive light... even if it is buzzfeed.

I think we all can agree the city is moving in the right direction. Improving crime rates will not happen overnight and dropping to #25 on the most dangerous cities list is encouraging. My only worry is that most violent crime seems to be migrating to Bessemer.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I think it's pretty clear that I'm an advocate of the growth of Birmingham.
I am quite aware of that. There have been more then one detractors of this link and this thread (some deleted) that have attacked the source and the inclusion of this city.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:50 AM

187 posts, read 214,424 times
I think national attention that's NOT in a negative light is great. Even if the list is debatably bunk. I would like to know how they come up with that kinda stuff though.

Whether there's validity to the list doesn't really matter. What matters is getting positive attention. To me the list contained great cities and crapppppyyyyy cities alike.

I was glad to see Greenville, SC on the list. I love that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area