U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,068 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience using the ROKU and Sling TV service. We are wanting cut the cable, but I was wondering if the internet speed in the Birmingham area is fast enough for streaming quality TV. Any advice is welcomed.

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,676,249 times
A friend of ours uses Hulu and Charter cable without the Charter TV service and then switched to UVerse internet only. We haven't watched enough TV at her place to get a handle on it, but she doesn't complain. I have Charter and watch Netflix on it all the time with no problems.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM

18,596 posts, read 55,510,434 times
Just watch a longer YouTube video on your computer. If you can watch without it buffering, you should be fine.
You can also use Speedtest.net to verify your connection speed.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:38 PM

779 posts, read 787,548 times
I think it depends on who your provider is. The speed should be okay but some drop more than others. I have an Apple TV with Brighthouse at my place downtown. The speed is fine when it's working but the internet may cut out 5 times while I'm watching a show. When you're marathon watching, this can be especially annoying. I never noticed it too much on my computer. It would cut out but I would just wait a few seconds for it to come back and keep working. When you're using an Apple TV, you have to back all the way out, find the show again, and then press play. It all takes about a minute or two for everything to "boot back up." I know this is Brighthouse and not just my router because my office internet does the same thing.

At my other place, I have UVerse and don't have the same problem at all. In fact, it almost never cuts out. (I realize how "my other place" sounds but it isn't what you think.)

Old 07-11-2015, 01:05 PM

73 posts, read 68,407 times
The thing that has kept me from cutting the cord is that all the ESPN channels would go away. The Watch ESPN app is great, but you have to have a service provider to get that. Sling tv gives you the option of having the tv online or on a roku, for like $20 a month. and HBO is like $15 extra. not as many channels of the other stuff, but you get all espn's product.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:32 PM

934 posts, read 606,833 times
once sling tv was introduced, cutting cable was a no brainer. i had pretty much held onto it for live sports alone. i have uverse and use netflix, hulu plus, and sling tv (along with a digital antenna for live HD basic cable) and haven't missed it at all. monthly cable bill with brighthouse used to be $110. the services i listed above come to under $40 (plus the one time purchase of the digital antenna).

Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 PM

7 posts, read 6,214 times
Roku box all the way.

I use it to dump all my movies on and watch them in the Living room.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,026,282 times
Just dumped Directv, and picked up a ROKU. then I added on the sling service. No complaints at all, except that only one user can be on Sling service at a time, unless you have multiple accounts. No worry though. We do have netflix, and my kids prefer to watch that over anything else, including the directv we just cancelled.

I'd like to say we've cut the cord, but until someone figures out how to stop the cable internet providers from jacking up prices (don't worry, it's coming), no one is going to have truly cut the cord. Unless you're sitting in the Panera parking lot stealing their wifi! Hahaha!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,068 times
We have officially cut the cable cord. Got all the channels we normally watched on sling for $35 a month. We also get the local digital channels. Still have to pay for internet, but we would have it anyway. My only compliant is the volume variance between channels.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:13 PM

5,447 posts, read 4,279,072 times
Roku........

We paid $40 for a lifetime subscription to Play-on including their dvr service. You set up a PC as your "server" and we have literally just about every channel we had with DTV. We also watch ESPN and the other channels via VIPBOX2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or