Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:39 PM

3,482 posts, read 723,232 times

Advertisements

well all I know is " if you`re not in Huntsville , you`re just in '' >> no wait !! I think someone else was using that line >. HA !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,726,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't do mind reading. So if someone needs to twist and be obtuse to try to argue because they can't do it straight up and straight forward they aren't worth my time. I said what i said. Go back and read it. Then read it again. Then get someone else to read it to you.
Everyone is reading your posts and thinking... hmmm... that Tourian guy sure doesn't seem to have much of an answer for why Birmingham has struggled to attract businesses in the pre-Bentley days. Just letting you know.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:59 PM

779 posts, read 1,002,088 times
I've just had to laugh at so many of the ludicrous things that have been said on this thread. I seriously doubt that Huntsville's population will surpass Birmingham in that amount of time if ever. There are a few reasons why. The "evidence" might make one think that a city like Huntsville is cool and what millenials want due to population growth. However, the tide has changed quite drastically in the past decade and maybe even more recent leading this age group and even older to look for cities with more walkability, better urban transit, a good stock of historic buildings, and other things found in a more established urban area like Birmingham.

Huntsville would have to make some serious infrastructure changes to its city center (if you can really call it that) to jump in on that "tide" and it would have to be done very quickly. Not going to happen. With that being said, it's still an attractive city for many but not for the group of people that is really leading the charge in the renaissance of cities all over America.

One thing that Huntsville does have in its favor that Birmingham doesn't currently have is job growth. A great paying job with stability is attractive and will certainly lead to Huntsville to continue to grow. Let's say that Huntsville, by some miracle, does grow past Birmingham in population, does that really mean anything? That doesn't necessarily make Huntsville a happening city. Which is why I think this whole article is ridiculous.

I honestly think the Birmingham pop growth projections are a little too modest.... Since I moved to this city 4 years ago, I have seen new multi-family construction and renovation of once vacant apartment buildings. 29 Seven, University Flats, Parc at Grandview, communities along Lakeshore Parkway (can't remember their name but inside the city limits), and countless smaller projects. These alone account for a few thousand units that are all full. Of course, that growth would have to outpace the rate of people moving out of the city but I think it already has.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:32 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,257,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I've just had to laugh at so many of the ludicrous things that have been said on this thread. I seriously doubt that Huntsville's population will surpass Birmingham in that amount of time if ever. There are a few reasons why. The "evidence" might make one think that a city like Huntsville is cool and what millenials want due to population growth. However, the tide has changed quite drastically in the past decade and maybe even more recent leading this age group and even older to look for cities with more walkability, better urban transit, a good stock of historic buildings, and other things found in a more established urban area like Birmingham.

Huntsville would have to make some serious infrastructure changes to its city center (if you can really call it that) to jump in on that "tide" and it would have to be done very quickly. Not going to happen. With that being said, it's still an attractive city for many but not for the group of people that is really leading the charge in the renaissance of cities all over America.

One thing that Huntsville does have in its favor that Birmingham doesn't currently have is job growth. A great paying job with stability is attractive and will certainly lead to Huntsville to continue to grow. Let's say that Huntsville, by some miracle, does grow past Birmingham in population, does that really mean anything? That doesn't necessarily make Huntsville a happening city. Which is why I think this whole article is ridiculous.

I honestly think the Birmingham pop growth projections are a little too modest.... Since I moved to this city 4 years ago, I have seen new multi-family construction and renovation of once vacant apartment buildings. 29 Seven, University Flats, Parc at Grandview, communities along Lakeshore Parkway (can't remember their name but inside the city limits), and countless smaller projects. These alone account for a few thousand units that are all full. Of course, that growth would have to outpace the rate of people moving out of the city but I think it already has.
I agree. I always like the urban idea better than suburban. Even though where I am from, Mobile, is still adding to the suburban areas, the city has shifted focus to downtown. We ourselves have a bunch of projects going on downtown but need more housing. Mobile just does not have the number or units in stock to keep people moving downtown.

I think Bham is doing good building up its downtown housing stock and maybe back to 220,000 by 2020. I think Bham can do it. Maybe Birmingham could look at even lessening the cities square mileage so they use more resources on building Downtown Birmingham. An idea I also think Mobile should do.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:49 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,726,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post

Agree with all of this, though I wouldn't be surprised if Birmingham's population growth is pretty minimal at this point. Keep in mind that quite a few downtown living spaces went online last decade and the city leaked about 20,000 people.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:36 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,320,736 times
The people reading and responding on the thread seem illiterate.

I started to explain why I write that but decided not to as it will just keep the circular file going. I stand by my comments for those who have enough information to know what I was writing. The rest have no clue and I am not going to spell it out. If you post on this forum you should either have some knowledge of the subject or read first.
The thread is absurd on so many levels, and confirms that the subject is also.

(Noticing the author of threads can often help in understanding what kind of thread it will be. They usually never repost, which clarifies their original intent in duping all who follow.)

Last edited by preguntas; 12-10-2015 at 10:44 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,257,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
(Noticing the author of threads can often help in understanding what kind of thread it will be. They usually never repost, which clarifies their original intent in duping all who follow.)
I agree with you and I thought I was the only one who thought about this. The OP hasn't even engaged in this thread I don't think.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:46 AM

270 posts, read 528,344 times
The government of Alabama has despised Birmingham since before George Wallace. It is practically written into the constitution. Bob Riley was actually somewhat decent in his first term and he saw that there was no reason to bash Birmingham at every opportunity. Bentley decided to revert to the old form of diverting all tax dollars and resources away from Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area