Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:18 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times

Advertisements

I don't really get it. You have implied that the current governor seems to favor Huntsville over Birmingham, while TN2HSV points out that Birmingham has struggled to attract new operations since before Bentley was the governor. What about his post is so out of line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 01:24 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I don't really get it. You have implied that the current governor seems to favor Huntsville over Birmingham, while TN2HSV points out that Birmingham has struggled to attract new operations since before Bentley was the governor. What about his post is so out of line?
No. She first implied that I was blaming all of B'ham's woes on Bentley. That's false and too childish a remark for me to respond to. Her follow up post is even worse. I have been very specific on what I blame and accuse Bentley of.

Of course you don't really get it, Steve.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No. She first implied that I was blaming all of B'ham's woes on Bentley. That's false and too childish a remark for me to respond to. Her follow up post is even worse. I have been very specific on what I blame and accuse Bentley of.

Of course you don't really get it, Steve.
Then why don't you just respond to what was obviously meant by the post instead of grandstanding?

Nobody thinks TN2HSV meant "all of Birmingham's woes" literally meant all of Birmingham's woes. She quite obviously was discussing the topic at hand which was the ability to attract companies and jobs. You've been quite clear that you believe Bentley has had it in for Birmingham on this front while favoring Huntsville (though I haven't really read why you think Bentley would be doing this).

So why was Birmingham struggling (relatively speaking) for decades prior to Bentley's reign?

I agree with TN2HSV; From my perspective, it looks like sour grapes. Really, really, childish sour grapes. But you have the opportunity to enlighten us, so go for it.

Last edited by steveklein; 12-09-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,571 times
Twisted thinking.

Over the past two decades Birmingham metro has acquired about fifteen thousand new jobs in the adjacent counties and in Jefferson. These are excellent paying jobs, and some are even better. Some of these are in the MSA and others are in the CMSA.
Twisted minds like to argue those jobs don't belong to Birmingham in spite of the fact that most employees ended buying houses in Jefferson and of course doing most of their business there.

The most recent large announcements in Madison have actually been for Limestone and yet no one questions 'where' these jobs are.
I do understand that many people on the forum are not very well versed in geopolitical issues, which explains part of this double standard. On the other hand most of it seems to come from people who somehow just can't except the fact that one city is the center of a real urban area and the other is a conglomeration of suburbs. It really is a silly argument, on a multitude of levels.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:37 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Twisted thinking.

Over the past two decades Birmingham metro has acquired about fifteen thousand new jobs in the adjacent counties and in Jefferson. These are excellent paying jobs, and some are even better. Some of these are in the MSA and others are in the CMSA.
Twisted minds like to argue those jobs don't belong to Birmingham in spite of the fact that most employees ended buying houses in Jefferson and of course doing most of their business there.

The most recent large announcements in Madison have actually been for Limestone and yet no one questions 'where' these jobs are.
I do understand that many people on the forum are not very well versed in geopolitical issues, which explains part of this double standard. On the other hand most of it seems to come from people who somehow just can't except the fact that one city is the center of a real urban area and the other is a conglomeration of suburbs. It really is a silly argument, on a multitude of levels.
Polaris and Remington are both in the city of HSV. HSV has been annexing land in Limestone Co. (The city of Madison is basically land-locked at this point.) So now we have both Madison city limits and Huntsville city limits both straddling the Limestone county/Madison county line.

So yes, these jobs ARE in Huntsville, whether good, bad or indifferent. Maybe you need to brush up on your North AL geography before you start throwing shade.

Yes, B'ham is a real URBAN area. That wasn't even being argued. You can have that title, since you think it's so important. HSV isn't striving to be like B'ham.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:54 PM

So in 20 years, the area has attracted 15,000 new jobs? Am I the only person that thinks that is really, really, really poor job growth? That's one new job for every 70 people in the metro area over that timeframe?

I'd love to see how Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, et. al. have fared over that same time.

EDIT: Just looked up Raleigh because it was easy to find. Since 2001, depending on the source, they have added between 150,000 and 200,000 jobs.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:10 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,128 times
How can the area only create 15,000 new jobs in 20 years? The metro grew by 200,000 since then.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That's great, but what makes Huntsville your "favorite" and why? Reminding you of Tennessee is it?

It is much like Tennessee. Many of the residential and shopping areas even feel the same. Outside of that, I like Huntsville because the people are nice and welcoming. The growth, energy, and pro business environment is also very attractive when considering places to live or even visit. I like newer vibrant areas, in that sense, Huntsville definitely feels different from other cities such as Birmingham and Montgomery, I don't mean that to sound negative toward those cities, just an observation.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Then why don't you just respond to what was obviously meant by the post instead of grandstanding?

Nobody thinks TN2HSV meant "all of Birmingham's woes" literally meant all of Birmingham's woes. She quite obviously was discussing the topic at hand which was the ability to attract companies and jobs. You've been quite clear that you believe Bentley has had it in for Birmingham on this front while favoring Huntsville (though I haven't really read why you think Bentley would be doing this).

So why was Birmingham struggling (relatively speaking) for decades prior to Bentley's reign?

I agree with TN2HSV; From my perspective, it looks like sour grapes. Really, really, childish sour grapes. But you have the opportunity to enlighten us, so go for it.
I don't do mind reading. So if someone needs to twist and be obtuse to try to argue because they can't do it straight up and straight forward they aren't worth my time. I said what i said. Go back and read it. Then read it again. Then get someone else to read it to you.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

It is much like Tennessee. Many of the residential and shopping areas even feel the same. Outside of that, I like Huntsville because the people are nice and welcoming. The growth, energy, and pro business environment is also very attractive when considering places to live or even visit. I like newer vibrant areas, in that sense, Huntsville definitely feels different from other cities such as Birmingham and Montgomery, I don't mean that to sound negative toward those cities, just an observation.
Huntsville does not have the lock on "new vibrant areas" nor "nice and welcoming people." It sounds to me like it could easily fit in as a nondescript Nashville suburb full of strip centers.

But thanks for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area