Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The lunatic must have gotten a day pass at the asylum.

Zounds! The sun came up this morning! I had lunch at Glory Bound today and people were still going about their day as usual. They weren't rolling up the streets or packing up downtown at all.

I guess we'll just keep on moving forward after all.
If we are moving forward at a slower rate than our peer cities, are we actually moving forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:12 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Yeah I'm really curious where all these fights amongst city council members, mayors, county officials, etc are going on at. Some of you say it is commonplace. Please link me to all the bloodied up mayors and city council members of Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Memphis, Charlotte, Chicago, San Francisco, Denver, Houston, Raleigh, Orlando, Kansas City, Des Moines, Boise, Seattle, Boston, Indianapolis, and Cleveland.

It's super common, right? Happens all the time, right? Surely you can find examples of fighting like this occurring in at least 4 or 5 of those cities in the last decade, right?

Or is it maybe not common at all and it really was an embarrasment for the city? And evidently the cause of it was our mayor threatening a councilman at his "real" job.

And preguntas... lol at you lumping me in with everyone who registers a new account every time they post in here. I'm not a hater... I can merely see a

I swear if some of you lived in Baltimore, you would act like the Freddie Gray event was a nonissue. If some of you lived in Ferguson, you would act like the Michael Brown situation wasn't a big deal.

Does this event rise to those levels in terms of negative national exposure? No, of course not. But in other ways, it is worse. In the last couple months, we've had this and let's not also forget Austin's DUI... in the midst of being one of the largest cities in the country without ridesharing services no less.

These are the leaders of our city. For some of you to call it anything less than an embarrassment is an embarrassment in and of itself.
Now after seeing the embolden, I know you are reaching. Those situations are apples and oranges to this, apples and oranges. If you ACTUALLY followed the social history and issues of Baltimore and Greater St. Louis then you wouldn't even dared to try that weak comparison...

Old 12-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
If we are moving forward at a slower rate than our peer cities, are we actually moving forward?
Actually, Birmingham is moving forward at the same pace as Memphis, Louisville, Richmond, and Norfolk, whom are shocking peers in size (of metropolitan area) and economically...

Old 12-16-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Actually, Birmingham is moving forward at the same pace as Memphis, Louisville, Richmond, and Norfolk, whom are shocking peers in size (of metropolitan area) and economically...
Metro Richmond, since 2000, has grown by about 18%. The figures are similar for Louisville. Since 1950, Jefferson County, KY has gone from 484k to 750k+, compared to Jefferson County, AL which has gone from about 550k to 650k and has been virtually unchanged since the 1970s. When you look at just the last 20 years, JeffCo AL is about unchanged while JeffCO KY has added close to 20%. Metro Norfolk is about 40% bigger than metro Birmingham so you might as well compare Birmingham to Nashville if you are going to compare Birmingham to Norfolk.

Since 2000, Metro Birmingham has grown by about 7%. Memphis is probably the closest thing to a true peer of Birmingham, and guess what? It's largely regarded as a backwards city and a city who has been left in the dust by its once former peers.

Birmingham will always have peers, of course. But when you repeatedly have to change its peers from Atlanta to Charlotte to Nashville to Louisville to... ? then it kinda makes sense when you say Birmingham is moving forward slower than its peers, ya know?

Old 12-16-2015, 03:13 PM

508 posts, read 615,977 times
Lead by example.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
The biggest 'blip' this will get is your post.

You are a piece of work. No, things will be fine here, you just keep stirring this strange need to denigrate.
Unfairly? Not sure about that. If Battle or any other city leaders here did that, I'd be mad as hell. And I would understand any other criticism of the city and its officials, even from those who don't live here.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Metro Richmond, since 2000, has grown by about 18%. The figures are similar for Louisville. Since 1950, Jefferson County, KY has gone from 484k to 750k+, compared to Jefferson County, AL which has gone from about 550k to 650k and has been virtually unchanged since the 1970s. When you look at just the last 20 years, JeffCo AL is about unchanged while JeffCO KY has added close to 20%. Metro Norfolk is about 40% bigger than metro Birmingham so you might as well compare Birmingham to Nashville if you are going to compare Birmingham to Norfolk.

Since 2000, Metro Birmingham has grown by about 7%. Memphis is probably the closest thing to a true peer of Birmingham, and guess what? It's largely regarded as a backwards city and a city who has been left in the dust by its once former peers.

Birmingham will always have peers, of course. But when you repeatedly have to change its peers from Atlanta to Charlotte to Nashville to Louisville to... ? then it kinda makes sense when you say Birmingham is moving forward slower than its peers, ya know?
You still looking and trying to say something of a rebuttal but still haven't said much other than what I said is true. Anyways, my point still stands. Birmingham was never growing as fast as Atlanta and Charlotte, so it is what it is. Oh yeah, Nashville and Norfolk have always been peers, so...

Whatever...

Old 12-17-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The lunatic must have gotten a day pass at the asylum.

Zounds! The sun came up this morning! I had lunch at Glory Bound today and people were still going about their day as usual. They weren't rolling up the streets or packing up downtown at all.

I guess we'll just keep on moving forward after all.
It's funny how sockpuppets do always register or suddenly posting again just in time to say the same negative thing at the same time. Also this very accounts are always dominant otherwise...

Old 12-17-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You still looking and trying to say something of a rebuttal but still haven't said much other than what I said is true. Anyways, my point still stands. Birmingham was never growing as fast as Atlanta and Charlotte, so it is what it is. Oh yeah, Nashville and Norfolk have always been peers, so...

Whatever...

What are you talking about? Everything I said tore apart your claim that all those cities are growing at the same rate as Birmingham. And are you really saying Nashville and Birmingham are peer cities in 2015? In 1990, sure. But just 25 years later they aren't even close.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? Everything I said tore apart your claim that all those cities are growing at the same rate as Birmingham. And are you really saying Nashville and Birmingham are peer cities in 2015? In 1990, sure. But just 25 years later they aren't even close.
No, you didn't...you just proved that all of those places are peer cities of Birmingham. You wasted time talking about Jefferson County, KY population like that is relevant (which it is not). Birmingham has always been peers with Richmond, Louisville, Richmond, Norfolk, Nashville, and Memphis, and it's growing so it will continue to be those cities peers, i.e., 2nd tier Southern city. Nice try, but you really aren't worth going back and forth with because your responses tend to lack nuance and purpose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area