U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 PM
_OT

2,150 posts, read 1,547,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Um, I think if 15 years from now Southside looked like The Gulch today or Buckhead 15 years ago, everyone here would be talking about it as a huge success story (and rightfully so).
Considering the region where Birmingham is located, I wouldn't be surprised lol; but personally speaking, the Southside isn't the Gulch, nor is it Buckhead, that's not what Southside should be shooting for honestly. What I was referring to was basically just going off of what that other poster said. Southside has some great architecture, great views, the awesome hils, just an overall neighborhood feel. Not to mention Southside has density, diversity, an underrated walkability. The Southside doesn't need the type of people areas like the Gulch or Buckhead attracts if I were to be quite honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 AM

374 posts, read 263,442 times
I guess I'm just surprised after all these years that Southside hasn't become a hotter commodity. I thought it was such a cool place to live back in 1988-1989, and here we are almost 30 years later and it's still pretty much the same. I lived in the Mountainside apartment complex and had an incredible view of the city for less than $300 per month.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM

871 posts, read 559,275 times
the gulch and buckhead are relatively new areas where highrises have sprung up on what used to be either warehouses (the gulch) or lower density / suburban development (buckhead).

southside / 5 points is already an established, walkable, dense neighborhood... I don't think anyone would want to see gleaming office and condo towers come in and replace that.

I'd rather see that happen somewhere like the western downtown area (currently warehouses, car dealerships and old motels) or around parkside.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM

374 posts, read 263,442 times
Maybe I spoke too soon. I checked out some real estate prices in the Southside area (west of Five Points and south of the UAB campus), and they are actually fairly high.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,459,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
the gulch and buckhead are relatively new areas where highrises have sprung up on what used to be either warehouses (the gulch) or lower density / suburban development (buckhead).

southside / 5 points is already an established, walkable, dense neighborhood... I don't think anyone would want to see gleaming office and condo towers come in and replace that.

I'd rather see that happen somewhere like the western downtown area (currently warehouses, car dealerships and old motels) or around parkside.

Well said. No need or desire to have to trade an established neighborhood for something like that. If there is a lawsuit holding up the Vesta because of line of sight issues, I imagine the same thing would happen there even amongst the mostly rental properties.

Honda is investing more into their plant in Lincoln.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...-with-85m.html

Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM

476 posts, read 341,218 times
As the city center growth and excitement continues to build, this looks like a cool way to move pedestrians around the popular areas downtown.

Birmingham OKs low-speed cabs, Joyride to launch by early May | AL.com

Old 03-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Usually it is the other way around for our homegrown brands, but not this time...

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...nta-based.html

Quote:
The Birmingham-based Revelator Coffee Company is acquiring the Atlanta-based coffee staple Octane Coffee. Revelator opened in Birmingham in 2014. Since then, it's gone on to open a roastery in Birmingham and has expanded across the Southeast with nine more locations in Birmingham, New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Charleston.
The acquisition effectively doubles Revelator's footprint.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:14 PM

382 posts, read 362,801 times
Record crowd on hand @ UAB spring game. Can't slay the southside dragons

Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Any interesting look at the recent history of the city and downtown's resurgence from the perspective of a principle of a commercial real estate firm. The end of the column has a nice nugget.

'Damn Yankee' pioneer of Birmingham downtown revival shares how city overcame race fears to rebound | AL.com

Quote:
On the positive, Lauriello says Birmingham's rep in national business circles has turned a corner. "We're getting looks," he says, referring to companies that previously might have never considered moving here. "There's no product in Atlanta left, so they come here and are amazed."
He wouldn't name any names but said a few companies are "ready" to sign leases and added, "people are giving us a second look on the manufacturing end."
That's why the damn Yankee remains damn excited about the city that once wished he would just go back where he came from.
"In the not-too-distant future, we'll see projects that will blow people away," Lauriello says. "In five or six years, we won't recognize who we are."

Old 04-03-2017, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 15,295 times
Again people want more urban growth an jobs in birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or