U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM

349 posts, read 189,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I can see Montgomery and Tuscaloosa using Shuttlesworth Int'l. more often in the future. The only way I see Huntsville doing that if Shuttlesworth Int'l. were to get at more daily non-stop direct flights that were cheaper than Nashville Int'l. If Interim BAA CEO, Miguel Southwell is doing what I think he is doing then more non-stop direct flights may in fact come to fruition with Shuttlesworth Int'l.
I agree with your logic on this point, it is pretty much a toss up as far as travel time to Nashville or Birmingham from Huntsville and a bigger selection of cities would be compelling when making the choice of where to fly from. That being said I like the move from Southwell in bringing in more direct flights with this low cost carrier to improve our flight options and I agree that he seems to know his business and should definitely be considered for the permanent position if he continues to perform at this level. I am optimistic about our chances at gaining more daily non stop direct flights at some point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM

1,366 posts, read 871,446 times
also, these prices are introductory. not sure where they'll end up, but they won't always be this cheap.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Status: "2021. Like 2020, but can legally drink." (set 17 days ago)

7,847 posts, read 3,638,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
also, these prices are introductory. not sure where they'll end up, but they won't always be this cheap.
No, they won't. But they will serve a secondary purpose of driving Southwest's fares lower.

Southwest's fares out of Birmingham have crept up there over the years while still trying to pass themselves off as the low-cost provider. I've actually found that other airlines routinely beat SW on fares, while they've coasted for a while on their brand reputation.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:58 PM

2,580 posts, read 1,859,645 times
Lawmakers pass bill on statewide rules for Uber, Lyft | AL.com

It looks like a statewide ridesharing bill will becoming law soon. One more positive step for the state to allow things to prosper.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM
_OT

2,163 posts, read 1,801,789 times
What are they filming downtown?

Old 02-27-2018, 05:10 PM

1,075 posts, read 840,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
What are they filming downtown?
John Travotta filming another movie called "Moose" directed by Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit fame. 90% of the movie will be filmed in birmingham.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:33 PM

462 posts, read 420,084 times
Word on set (I'm in Los Angeles) is that Birmingham is slated for one or two production studios. Nashville is also slated for one.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Word on set (I'm in Los Angeles) is that Birmingham is slated for one or two production studios. Nashville is also slated for one.
That would be excellent news! Birmingham is a great location for a production studio or two. Also sound stages considering the number of underutilized industrial areas across the region that could be retrofitted becoming these type of uses.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Status: "2021. Like 2020, but can legally drink." (set 17 days ago)

7,847 posts, read 3,638,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
That makes sense, given that a couple of productions are underway here already.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:06 PM

The 27-acre former Trinity Steele site is turning into a bid for something. I've heard this for about a month now that a tech company is trying to locate at this site. Now it looks like the Jeffco government and the City of Birmingham are now working together to move forward with this. The only catch is the Greater Birmingham Humane Society is trying to redevelop the site into a campus.

Quote:
Local officials say an undisclosed technology company is considering purchasing the 27-acre Titusville property for a project.

While local officials have said the company itself is looking to hire at least 80 highly paid employees, the sheer size of the site – as well as its proximity to Innovation Depot and the University of Alabama at Birmingham – suggests it could be transformed into a larger high-tech campus that would add to the area’s growing innovation and technology scene.
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...-eyed-for.html
Trinity Park

My bet is that Birmingham officials will push for this tech development since it is more conforming to the Trinity Park site redevelopment. I think the GBHS officials should push to get the old Trinity Medical Center site instead which would be have adequate space to accommodate the Auburn University and Tuskegee University satellite campuses and to host conference meeting space. It would be a win-win for all parties with the redevelopment of both sites in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area