U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:35 PM

268 posts, read 455,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.grent View Post
Looked at MB and Vestavia but the property taxes are just too high and the overall value of the homes is high. I have no problem going outside the city as you get more value of your money. Since I have no office to drive to travel time is really not to concerning but max driving time I am willing to do is 1 hour in traffic. I currently drive about 30-40 minutes to work in traffic (15 miles)
You want to be INSIDE the city of Birmingham. Crestwood, Avondale, Forest Park, Highland Park. All of those neighborhoods have lots of homes with garages, reasonably sized lots, and you will greatly enjoy not sitting in traffic for 45 minutes everywhere you go. These are neighborhoods with walkability, local restaurants and bars, and loads of great architecture and style. And you are less than 20 minutes from almost anywhere you would ever go. The only drawback is the schools which you said are not an issue. Look at Zillow for these zip codes - 35222, 35205, parts of 35212. It will tell you they are very hot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 07:33 PM

9 posts, read 5,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
PROPERTY TAXES:

I must be missing something because according to my information the property taxes in Vestavia Hills is .645 and in Alabaster is .509. Is this really enough for someone to choose Alabaster over Vestavia. This is a very small difference. Is the value and cost of the home more, yes, but the property tax percentage in itself is very small.

I'm posting this because people are always pointing this out but I don't see it. Where am I going wrong?

Vestavia Hills 2015 Millage in Jefferson:
State: 6.5
COUNTY: 13.5
School: 15.1
SPC School1: 8.2
MUNICIPALITY: 49.3 <--- this is the killer
Total: 92.6

Vestavia Hills 2015 Millage in Shelby:
COUNTY: 7.5
School: 16
School district 2: 0
MUNICIPALITY: 49.3 <--- this is the killer
Total: 79.3

Alabaster in Shelby
COUNTY: 7.5
School: 16
District School: 14
MUNICIPALITY: 10
Total: 54.0

Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 AM

707 posts, read 444,127 times
Thanks for the information. But I'm still a bit confused. None of this says property taxes. Or is millage property taxes?

Also can you give an example. if the property tax is $1000 in Alabaster, what is it in Vestavia? $1.468? That still is not enough to warrant not moving somewhere.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 2,687,719 times
Yes, millage is essentially property tax. Most of Vestavia Hills is in Jefferson County so if it was $1,000 in Alabaster, it would be $1,715 in Vestavia.

Also, keep in mind the same 3/2 home that is $150,000 in Alabaster might be $250,000 or $300,000 in Vestavia Hills so for "equal homes" you might be paying more like 3x as much in property tax in Vestavia.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 5,999 times
More to do with Market value on the home as mentioned. There is an older home (1987) that I was looking at because of the price that is 4 bedrooms (3300 sq. ft. per county record) and because it is 1987 needs reno and is priced under $300k in Vestavia Hills on the Jefferson side. The assessed value is $399k so the property taxes are $3700. That turned me off unless I am going to sale it in a few years as the homes in and around the area as per zillow range form $340k to $380k for the same size home.

In Alabaster you can get something new or for comparing to above, a home 3100sq. ft. (also per county record) built in 2001, selling for $320k and assessed at $298k tax is $1600.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:29 PM

109 posts, read 109,004 times
Sorry but in my opinion there is no comparison between Vestavia and Alabaster. I don't want to offend anyone but personally don't particularly like Alabaster. I would recommend having a look at Highland Lakes 35242. It is very pretty, lots of green space and lakes as well as being gated. I would think you would be able to find a nice house for 350 ish and being in the county they have low taxes.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,730 times
I think because your options are wide open most anything in Birmingham could do. Alabaster is a great town but less activity so to speak. They are building a new high school and property values have been on the rise and good homes go fast with multiple contracts on them. All that aside. It does not have tons of options of dinning and entertainment (outside of basic box places) something closer in to Birmingham would. All in all a nice size town with good community feel.

My question would be when you are at home, What are your interest. Is it important to quickly get to live music venues or Baseball games or is it ok to drive 15/20 minutes to those and enjoy mountain bike on some trails or a new home with little upkeep. Are you ok with closer neighbors or prefer space between homes. Avondale and those areas have been on the rise and in the thick of happening things in downtown Birmingham. Vestavia is a good area right in between downtown Birmingham and the southern portions. Hoover maybe should be considered...it spans a large area but with easy access to 459/65 and some hoover areas are in Shelby County thus reducing taxes.

Hope this helped some.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 966,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.grent View Post
Thanks. Home needs a garage and yes not in bad part of town. As for home price I am flexible but would like to keep it below $300k as when you jump higher might as well go to the $400-500k because you get a huge jump in value.
Not so down here, unless you are looking in the best suburbs in Birmingham. Move north of south of the city and you will find 2,500 sq ft home selling for 200K, and in many nice areas in Birmingham, you need not look more than 300 - 350k, as much higher, they are estates and harder to sell.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:39 AM

Default Very Good Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyww View Post
I think because your options are wide open most anything in Birmingham could do. Alabaster is a great town but less activity so to speak. They are building a new high school and property values have been on the rise and good homes go fast with multiple contracts on them. All that aside. It does not have tons of options of dinning and entertainment (outside of basic box places) something closer in to Birmingham would. All in all a nice size town with good community feel.

My question would be when you are at home, What are your interest. Is it important to quickly get to live music venues or Baseball games or is it ok to drive 15/20 minutes to those and enjoy mountain bike on some trails or a new home with little upkeep. Are you ok with closer neighbors or prefer space between homes. Avondale and those areas have been on the rise and in the thick of happening things in downtown Birmingham. Vestavia is a good area right in between downtown Birmingham and the southern portions. Hoover maybe should be considered...it spans a large area but with easy access to 459/65 and some hoover areas are in Shelby County thus reducing taxes.

Hope this helped some.
And your comment about houses so close together is such a valid point for virtually all of Hoover Shelby County area. It doesn't matter whether it's Hoover, Pelham, Alabaster, Hwy 280 from 459 8 miles south. It's either you pay $150-$300,000 for a home 20 feet from your neighbor, or you practically have to pay $350 + to have any property.

That's the thing that gets overlooked when people say you can get a nice big house for $300,000 in Shelby County. When you pull up you will notice it's setting beside a train track or sitting within 20 feet of the neighbors house. I've had this happen several times. Maybe I'm just unlucky. This has been my experience and why I continue to stay put where I am.

Before I bought my current house (20 feet from my neighbors), I looked at an older house right off of Caldwell Mill road that set on at least 1 acre and had plenty of space. I passed it over due to the fact it would need many updates. But I regret it ever since. I'm constantly driving by when I'm in that area now, hoping it might go back up for sell. Maybe the current owner updated it. Ha Ha. Yes, I know, $50,000 more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or