Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
And I was suggesting we dont need to build more prisons their claiming "safer"to fool the public i have a family memeber in these so called "safe"prisons who is now traumize for life imagine all the sexual abuses his expierencing by prisoners who dont care.Why not build more halfway houses?Or send young non violent offenders to college.
How about your relative taking responsibility for his actions and blaming himself for his own trauma from being incarcerated for being a criminal?
It is a foreign concept to many to accept responsibility for their own choices and actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:37 AM

341 posts, read 263,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
What did your "family memeber" do to get into prison? And what has "traumized" him?
My family member was charged with entering auto,and possesion of crack cocaine,his never been in trouble before as to why he did it,he never explained to me.And what has caused him trauma,his been sexually assualted by the gangs because he wont join a gang.We have called the prison officials many times(but they dont care).And I know every time he calls us on the phone,he sounds different and explains to us what is going on in their.Can you imagine having 5 or 6 guys tie you up,and then physically force you to do stuff you might find uncomfortable?As a man its sickening to have another man degrade you and force you into God knows what they do in prison.As a person with a family member in prison,I now fear for his safety if he will make it alive.

Quote:
And who should pay for those additional halfway houses?
The tax payers of course!And if you know economics you would know that is CHEAPER to house offenders in halfway houses then prisons.People seem to against the idea of halfway houses but dont seem to mind building those exspensive prisons(who dont help offenders besides make them into worse criminals).

Quote:
And who should pay to send offenders to COLLEGE?
Which will cost us more housing them in a cage?or sending them off to college?

Do the math.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How about your relative taking responsibility for his actions and blaming himself for his own trauma from being incarcerated for being a criminal?
It is a foreign concept to many to accept responsibility for their own choices and actions.
Agree he needs to take responsibility for his stupid decisions,but here is a question many dont seem to understand is getting sexual assualted,beaten,or even totured in prison part of a offender's sentence?

Did the judge/court expect any rehabilitation in a cage?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:34 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,384,380 times
mcwali - I agree with you that prisons should be safe. I would add that if prison is a drug-free environment then it is a form of rehab.

However, as crowded as the prisons are, "entering auto, and possesion of crack cocaine" with no prior arrests doesn't usually result in prison time.

Not everyone is suited for college and one might argue that those who end up in prison probably have issues that result in them not being good college candidates. Some sort of education and training should be available to keep the prison population engaged with society as a whole.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 AM

15,972 posts, read 9,339,962 times
I'd rather not have to pay tuition myself and share a classroom with a bunch of criminals, but that's just me.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Agree he needs to take responsibility for his stupid decisions,but here is a question many dont seem to understand is getting sexual assualted,beaten,or even totured in prison part of a offender's sentence? Did the judge/court expect any rehabilitation in a cage?
Here is a question for you: After you quit defending his not taking responsibility for his stupid decisions what part of *when you go to prison you should expect to be sexually assaulted, beaten or even tortured while there* does one not understand about choosing to be a criminal?
Did/does the criminal/convict expect protection for being a criminal?

Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,733,017 times
This thread can probably be moved to a different forum now that it has veered well away from anything Birmingham or Alabama related.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Here is a question for you: After you quit defending his not taking responsibility for his stupid decisions what part of *when you go to prison you should expect to be sexually assaulted, beaten or even tortured while there* does one not understand about choosing to be a criminal?
Did/does the criminal/convict expect protection for being a criminal?
So your answer is that when a criminal is sentenced their no longer human and are subject to barbic actions like rape,fights,etc right?And oh yeah regardless of the situation correctional officers and the state ARE required not only by law but by the consitutional to protect inmates and maintain safety for both prison staff and inmates.But with your logic I'm getting the sense let them run all wild,rignt?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:26 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,323,385 times
Most got in by being barbaric. (this harks back to the olde laws; an eye for an eye) Which is why the whole world seems to have gone blind.

If you are looking for constitutionally supported coddling from the staff; good luck with that. Many of them end up in there too.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
So your answer is that when a criminal is sentenced their no longer human and are subject to barbic actions like rape,fights,etc right?And oh yeah regardless of the situation correctional officers and the state ARE required not only by law but by the consitutional to protect inmates and maintain safety for both prison staff and inmates.But with your logic I'm getting the sense let them run all wild,rignt?
No, your answer is that when a criminal is sentenced they are no longer human and are subject to barbaric actions like rape, fights, etc. <-------those are your words not mine.

My answer is the reality of making the choice to engage in criminal activity, getting caught, going to trial and being convicted.

If you can go and do the job of protecting criminals from criminals 24/7 in a prison you go right on over to your local prison and show them how it is done.
The reality of life in prison is that it does not happen. Accept it, deal with it or choose not to be a criminal.

Once again you are using your words and have no clue what *my logic* is:
But with your logic I'm getting the sense let them run all wild,rignt? <-------- cut and pasted from your post above which are your words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: