Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:56 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
What good does being from one place and bashing another. You don't live, work or play in that city but yet feel the need to talk down on it. Everybody knows the difference between having a opinion and hate. Its funny how people discuss other cities as in present day and talk about bham as in the past..."the last time i was there"..."when I was living there"..."not the way it was when I last visited"...

Good point, but move on and forget them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I tend to whine about everything. Birmingham has it's drawbacks, but they are usually the same ones alabama as a whole has. It wouldn't matter where I live: I'm an angry SOB, and I have been for 10 years. Even before I came back here. I'm also a closeted racist. So, I've got some things I need to work on.

We noticed, a long time ago. (lol)

Old 08-29-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
CD states are listed in alphabetical order, so Alabama is the 1st state most people see when they log onto the C-D Forum. And some people will be more apt to look at Alabama forum if the thread looks interesting on the front page. I bet Alabama does have a higher percentage of posts from people who don't live there compared to most states. In fact I bet all the states that begin with the letter "A" get an abnormal amount of posts from people just browsing CD with no interest or connection in those states. Myself, I read Alabama and Arizona forums fairly frequently, mainly because they are the 1st states I see on CD. I have cousins in both states but no real connection to either state. But I will occasionally post something if I feel so compelled. I always try to be polite and respectful and never insulting to any person, city, or state.

Going alphabetically seems like mindless trolling, as opposed to some thoughtful time spent on the forum. Oh well.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
As a non-resident, I had an opportunity to visit Birmingham around 15 years ago and was impressed (and truthfully a little surprised) at how modern and progressive it seemed, yet retaining laid back Southern hospitality. My only regret is I didn't get to spend more time exploring it.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:11 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Jowel,

It's a pretty nice place. And growing in it's attractions. I feel a little limited, but I work in the entertainment business most of the time, and I would like to see a bit more business for me, even though the folks here in Bham, and north Alabama, keep me busy. I want to eventually move out of having to have a day job, so that I can dedicate full time to it. But Bham is alright. Better than the traffic nightmare of Atlanta, our next big neighbor.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:25 AM

270 posts, read 531,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
As a non-resident, I had an opportunity to visit Birmingham around 15 years ago and was impressed (and truthfully a little surprised) at how modern and progressive it seemed, yet retaining laid back Southern hospitality. My only regret is I didn't get to spend more time exploring it.
The city is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was 15 years ago in terms of culture. Jobs, not so much. But if you enjoyed visiting then, you would be thrilled now.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 AM

154 posts, read 158,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Schein View Post
For godssake, why would anyone really care much about who or what is posted on a free, public-access, internet forum concerning any particular city or topic? No poster or group of posters in a single city has a monopoly on opinions. This is the internet, nothing more. If somebody posts something you don't like, ignore them. This is not a private club, or some kind of purposeful organization! Relax, this stuff has no true, meaningful purpose. If you think it serves some grandiose purpose other than what it is, then you're the one in trouble or have a very real problem. Good grief.
LOL. Awesome post. Unfortunately with some of the Bham bullies here, the truth does not seem to matter!

regards

Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,167,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Schein View Post
For godssake, why would anyone really care much about who or what is posted on a free, public-access, internet forum concerning any particular city or topic? No poster or group of posters in a single city has a monopoly on opinions. This is the internet, nothing more. If somebody posts something you don't like, ignore them. This is not a private club, or some kind of purposeful organization! Relax, this stuff has no true, meaningful purpose. If you think it serves some grandiose purpose other than what it is, then you're the one in trouble or have a very real problem. Good grief.
Well you should have taken your own advice and not care to post since its not a big deal. Its not a big deal...it was just a statement that wasn't intent to be blown out of porportion and it hasn't up to this point.. There's no bham bullies or whatever slick term you wants to use on here. Yes people are free to comment on whatever they feel like they need to say, but when the shoe is on the other foot...then its a problem. You wants to defend your own turf but at the same time wants to tell other people to not take it serious. Its not about caring what people say, because it is just an opinion, but atleast be in the ballpark when saying something and stop making ish up....

Old 08-31-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCraig View Post
I'm just passing through here on this AL forum like many readers do, okay? but I will comment that your response shows poor writing skills, poor spelling skills and a strange brand of resentment. It's embarrassing for Birmingham. Maybe you need to spend less time worrying about who's posting comments about your city and spend more time on education. That's my take.
Personal attacks are not only uncalled for, but against forum rules. EVEN WHEN JUST 'PASSING' THROUGH.........................YEAH

Old 08-31-2016, 10:50 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCraig View Post
I'm just passing through here on this AL forum like many readers do, okay? but I will comment that your response shows poor writing skills, poor spelling skills and a strange brand of resentment. It's embarrassing for Birmingham. Maybe you need to spend less time worrying about who's posting comments about your city and spend more time on education. That's my take.
Wait, so you're going to criticize his writing skills, then hold that against him as if he's lacking some form of intellect or educational understanding; only then to generalize an entire city based off of your own personal response to a single individual, about something that's not even that serious?

LMAO, where do these guys come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area