Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:26 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times

Advertisements

My vote is Fultondale and other areas northwest to northeast for the downslide. They are teetering on the edge. Essentially all of northern Jeffco. For the up, Mountain Brook and Vestavia will obviously stay strong. I would guess Hoover, bigger houses going in everywhere, plus new developments like Whole Foods.

I actually think Bessemer is making a comeback. Or, south Bessemer.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 07:58 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,520 times
I suppose that I shouldn't even respond to this thread since it reveals that you don't know much about the subject you brought up.

The northern arc of Jefferson county is just reaching its point of opportunity for growth and progress. (I-22 and I-65, along with I-422 as its sections open) You should also notice that both Blount and Cullman counties are very prosperous places just beyond the northern suburbs. (this does and will continue to have an impact on the north side of town.) The southern arc will continue to evolve and build on what they have. You should notice the same thing is happening in the city itself.

So essentially the prosperous are rising and those that are not prosperous will stagnate if they don't make new choices. It is not about suburbs, it is about people who do the same thing over and over expecting different results. (remember that at the polls) The suburbs are all fairly healthy except on the west side of town; both they and the outlying inner city neighborhoods need to embrace progress instead of a vigilant status quo.

Look up houses on real estate sites for Morris. These are not the neighborhoods of an area headed down. The older parts of Gardendale and Fultondale will gentrify quickly; they are just too well located. I hope this brings some sense to what you think is going on.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
I suppose that I shouldn't even respond to this thread since it reveals that you don't know much about the subject you brought up.

The northern arc of Jefferson county is just reaching its point of opportunity for growth and progress. (I-22 and I-65, along with I-422 as its sections open) You should also notice that both Blount and Cullman counties are very prosperous places just beyond the northern suburbs. (this does and will continue to have an impact on the north side of town.) The southern arc will continue to evolve and build on what they have. You should notice the same thing is happening in the city itself.

So essentially the prosperous are rising and those that are not prosperous will stagnate if they don't make new choices. It is not about suburbs, it is about people who do the same thing over and over expecting different results. (remember that at the polls) The suburbs are all fairly healthy except on the west side of town; both they and the outlying inner city neighborhoods need to embrace progress instead of a vigilant status quo.

Look up houses on real estate sites for Morris. These are not the neighborhoods of an area headed down. The older parts of Gardendale and Fultondale will gentrify quickly; they are just too well located. I hope this brings some sense to what you think is going on.
I may not know what I'm talking about, which is why I asked this question. I'm just looking at decades of white flight and things like that and figure it will continue. Maybe it has halted and I hope it has. I do think eventually people will simply get tired of driving forever as a commute. I know downtown is seeing an influx, so will that take away from certain suburbs? Who knows.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:12 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
I think Fultondale and Gardendale and Cullman will start to grow. To me they have been content to be sleepy bedroom communities despite the fact that 1 major interstate runs right through the middle of them and now with the added benefit of 22 and the coming of 422 like Preguntas has said. Gardendale will finally develop Fieldstown Rd, more jobs are coming to 79 corridor which will help bring along Pinson, Morris, Kimberly etc.

The areas I see with no particular upside will continue to be the west: Fairfield, Midfield, Hueytown, Pleasant Grove - nothing is particularly happening out that way while Bessemer continues to hold on to all the cards so to speak with what is out there in the form of both commercial and industrial. Jasper, Adamsville, Graysville will all benefit from 22.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:36 PM

902 posts, read 829,873 times
Here is my list

Will fail:
Fairfield, Brighton, Lipscomb, Tarrant, Center Point

Will continue to lose luster:
Hueytown, Pleasant Grove, Irondale

Will continue to prosper:
Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Homewood

Will be just fine:
Bessemer, Trussville, Gardendale, Fultondale, Pelham

Will gain residents and become prosperous:
Birmingham

Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Here is my list

Will fail:
Fairfield, Brighton, Lipscomb, Tarrant, Center Point

Will continue to lose luster:
Hueytown, Pleasant Grove, Irondale

Will continue to prosper:
Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Homewood

Will be just fine:
Bessemer, Trussville, Gardendale, Fultondale, Pelham

Will gain residents and become prosperous:
Birmingham

It is your list, but I suggest that Trussville should be in the prosper category. It, Leeds and Moody have the biggest potential in the east, and Trussville is already booming with both commercial and residential.
Also, did you leave out Alabaster. Its growth has been dynamic. It was once a mobile home community and now there are hundreds of homes approaching millions of dollars. I believe its success will pull Pelham along with it. (being wedged between Hoover and Alabaster, how can it not have a strong future)

Old 10-22-2016, 12:16 AM

902 posts, read 829,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
It is your list, but I suggest that Trussville should be in the prosper category. It, Leeds and Moody have the biggest potential in the east, and Trussville is already booming with both commercial and residential.
Also, did you leave out Alabaster. Its growth has been dynamic. It was once a mobile home community and now there are hundreds of homes approaching millions of dollars. I believe its success will pull Pelham along with it. (being wedged between Hoover and Alabaster, how can it not have a strong future)

Yeah, there are just too many little cities to list. Lol! Oh, and Trussville is one of those cities that are not underachieving or overachieving. Its just Trussville. It's a really nice community. I agree with you about Leeds, Moody, and the eastern cities.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:59 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
I think Trussville is still striving to be the Hoover of the east. They have the (growing) numbers and the interstate frontage to pull it off. Hwy 11 is already a mess but they are still trying to develop and add more. Before Fresh Market's new owners put the brakes on they were set to get another strip center with FM as the anchor. There's also plans to develop Deerfoot Parkway with some sort of shopping development. Costco wants/wanted to put a store there with an attached development but I think that might fall on the Birmingham side of the 459/59 interchange. 422 will eventually get to them too.

Last edited by Tourian; 10-22-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 04:06 PM

841 posts, read 824,408 times
Fultondale has such a great location, it really could take off at some point. Gardendale and Fultondale are kind of insular places, with many long term residents. A lot of the younger people grew up there. I don't know if I would want to move to either place as a transplant coming into the Birmingham area, but down the road things could change.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:39 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
I do think Leeds will continue to explode as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area