Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM

902 posts, read 829,873 times

Advertisements

What's funny is, some Hoover residents act as if people who live in multi-family developments (apartments) are boogymen. They screem things like, "Those apartment people are ruining our schools.",or,"Those apartment people are bringing crime to our city". I just don't see a majority of Hoover residents being open to allowing a huge number of multi-family residential developments in the city. Again, I just don't see how the mayor will convince Hoover residents to accept something that most of them have been against for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
What's funny is, some Hoover residents act as if people who live in multi-family developments (apartments) are boogymen. They screem things like, "Those apartment people are ruining our schools.",or,"Those apartment people are bringing crime to our city". I just don't see a majority of Hoover residents being open to allowing a huge number of multi-family residential developments in the city. Again, I just don't see how the mayor will convince Hoover residents to accept something that most of them have been against for so long.
I don't think they'll be adding many multi-family residences, at all, if the people I know are correct. They might refurbish a few, maybe. Hoover is going to continue to be a subdivision-bedroom type community. I just think that there is plenty of industry that could fill up that territory I alluded to in the original post, and make it cool.

Bike lanes are very doable. If they work in Destin, FL, along Highway 98, they'll work in every highway in Hoover without an "I" in front of it.

Hoover's in a good spot. The urban renewal in Birmingham is great, but families aren't going to be living there long term. They are attracting singles, who, once married and pregnant, are headed back out to Hoover (unless they can afford Mountain Brook, Vestavia or Homewood).

Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 PM

902 posts, read 829,873 times
Well, I hope it all goes great. I honestly do.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Exactly. There was that whole scheme to drop bus service because all of a sudden that was too expensive. So i am not surprised that no more apartments are being developed but rather more homes. However if they were to build a couple of multi use office/trendy loft towers right up under 459 and price them accordingly and put a few new to market restaurants and retailers in the bottom of them they could have that urban style environment and price out the "undesireables" at the same time

Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Exactly. There was that whole scheme to drop bus service because all of a sudden that was too expensive. So i am not surprised that no more apartments are being developed but rather more homes. However if they were to build a couple of multi use office/trendy loft towers right up under 459 and price them accordingly and put a few new to market restaurants and retailers in the bottom of them they could have that urban style environment and price out the "undesireables" at the same time
No way, Hoover needs football players! Joking, joking...

I think those type apartments could do well right behind Whole Foods. Clear out the old crappy apartments and build those. Combine it with some green spacing or something like that, to take advantage of that natural terrain. Walking/biking distance to the Galleria, Patton Creek, comedy club, the offices down 31, office space in Riverchase, and Chace Lake. I bet even a couple low-key bars would spring up here and there in those shopping centers.

I don't know, it all seems so doable to me.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:57 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post

I think those type apartments could do well right behind Whole Foods. Clear out the old crappy apartments and build those. Combine it with some green spacing or something like that, to take advantage of that natural terrain. Walking/biking distance to the Galleria, Patton Creek, comedy club, the offices down 31, office space in Riverchase, and Chace Lake. I bet even a couple low-key bars would spring up here and there in those shopping centers.

I don't know, it all seems so doable to me.

You understand that the "old, crappy" apartments have owners, right? And tenants, right? You can't just "clear them out".

Old 02-10-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Ha...uhhhh....yeah - I get that you are kidding, but I really think if that was all who was moving into those apartments (or holding leases on empty ones) that there wouldn't be have been an uproar.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ha...uhhhh....yeah - I get that you are kidding, but I really think if that was all who was moving into those apartments (or holding leases on empty ones) that there wouldn't be have been an uproar.
I assume you are talking about the hispanics. And no, the residents shouldn't be so upset about them. Personally, when you talk about 'undesirables', I'm talking about thugs who rob, steal and car-jack, whoever they may be.

What a lot of people don't understand too, is that with the recent passing of the immigration bill a few years ago, many illegals have left Alabama.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I assume you are talking about the hispanics.
Well partially yes, but anybody who doesn't bring a star football player to the team and has the nerve to live in an apartment was targeted when they talked about taking away the school busses and the uproar about renters not paying their fair share. I am sure those that would hand out free leases to apartments to kids' families who played football would find a way make arrangements for them if they rode the bus.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:59 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,198 times
For what it's worth re: Hoover City School bus service... the school system has been operating in a deficit for a few years now. Anyone who thinks dropping bus service was just a plan to get apartment kids out of the school system should check the city and school system's budget over the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area