Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 AM

410 posts, read 362,275 times

Advertisements

So a couple years ago I was trying to buy home in homewood or mountain brook....couldnt find anything in price range so rented apt for a while. Hate it and fortunately lease is coming up. This time would like to find more success. real estate market has changed a little though in that edgewood(one of the areas I was looking in) has gotten a lot more expensive, at least in the better parts of edgewood. There are now 3 bedroom *tiny*(I mean 1250 sq ft) houses on the better streets seeling for 425...thats 400 dollars per sq ft. 1600 3/2 houses are selling for 499-535. I may still buy one of those, but if I'm going to spend 500+ part of me wants a little bigger/nicer house. And honestly the look of the surrounding neighborhood still is lacking....just at times has a little bit of that run down feel. Even on the 'better' streets.

So now thinking more Hollywood...dont want a 3000-3300 sq ft house like a lot of the homes though. So more 1700-2200. Something like these

309 Le Jeune Way, Homewood, AL 35209 - realtor.com®

323 La Prado Cir, Homewood, AL 35209 - realtor.com®

Also Hollywood is such a small area as to what I would consider actual hollywood. I don't want to live on Windsor or Rumson or Hampton or whatever....would have to be one of the streets immediately off Hollywood Blvd(laprado, parts of Poinciana, Laplaya, Lajeune, etc). The other streets don't have the same look at all imo.

If I could buy something like those above for 550ish, why would I spend 500 for something smaller and more cottage looking and a more run down area in edgewood? I dunno....it just seems hollywood is still a bit nicer in aesthetics for less money per sq ft by a decent amount now.

Or I could buy a little cottage in crestline village deep in crestline village for maybe 500(3/2, maybe 1300 sq ft)....so similar price to best parts of edgewood now, but nicer area. The downside of course is the property taxes are much much higher. So that drives up the price.

The choices frankly just arent that good. Realize I could get something in a different section of mountain brook or most all of vestavia where I get a *lot* more house(you can buy really nice houses in lots of mb for 400-450 once you get out of crestline village or old mb...which gets you a rinky dinky house in edgewood for that) but just don't want to live in either of those areas.

So my choices because of my budget(really wanting to spend only 550 or so) are pretty limited. I guess the good thing is I only need/want 3 bedrooms.

Ideas to make situation seem more hopeful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 PM

270 posts, read 531,568 times
Go to Crestwood or Forest Park and there will be plenty of options to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area