Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM

30 posts, read 71,221 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be staying in Birmingham the weekend of July 7 - 9 and I am trying to find hotels in good areas along with information on which areas to avoid. I most likely will be using Priceline for such a short stay and they gave me the following areas where hotels are available:

1. Bessemer
  2. Airport
  3. Central
  4. Gardendale - Fultondale
  5. Hoover
  6. Inverness
  7. Irondale
  8. Leeds
  9. Oxmoor - Homewood
  10. Pelham
  11. Trussville

I remember we stayed in Birmingham a few years ago but I cannot remember the area that we stayed in during that trip. I do remember that we had an excellent restaurant not too far from our hotel called The Dixie Fish Co. which now closed but that is all I truly remember.

So, I am hoping people with experience in the area can offer me some areas that are safe and perhaps have some things the family can do during the day as well.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 kid aged 8, 1 kid aged 4). We will be coming in from Memphis so it will be via I-22 and are heading toward Florida via I-65 but we do not mind going out of the way for this stop.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 AM

946 posts, read 768,512 times
You really should go to Trip Advisor.com Great place to research when traveling and when most of the information needed is about hotels. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,205,986 times
If you stayed near Dixie Fish Co., then you were on Highway 280. Likely in Inverness. Fine place to stay for a family, but definitely out in the suburbs... which may be what you're looking for. What types of activities is the family wanting to do?

Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
You really should go to Trip Advisor.com Great place to research when traveling and when most of the information needed is about hotels. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. This forum has been absolutely great for traveling questions though because it seems like locals give some great information. Have used it several times in the past and it has never failed me.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
If you stayed near Dixie Fish Co., then you were on Highway 280. Likely in Inverness. Fine place to stay for a family, but definitely out in the suburbs... which may be what you're looking for. What types of activities is the family wanting to do?

The activities do not need to be anything extravagant. Something small that an 8 and 4 year old can do. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-19-2017, 09:03 PM

302 posts, read 333,521 times
Consider downtown or southside. #3 on the map. Worth noting, that Priceline area includes some hotels/motels on the lower end that you may want to pass over. Generally speaking, anything near the 20th Street spine is more than adequate.

Downtown activities: McWane Center, Pizitz Food Hall, Railroad Park, Birmingham Barons home games at Regions Field (Friday is Fireworks night), Rotary Trail (take some ZYP bikes along the route), Alabama Theatre (Finding Nemo on July 6. Edit: Just noticed the weekend you're in town... Grease Sing Along on the 7th if that interests the family), Farmers Market on Pepper Place on Saturday morn.

All within walking distance (sans Pepper Place... best via bike or car).

I'm sure there are some events or activities I'm missing.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:45 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,981,908 times
Also, DO NOT MISS the Barber Motorsports Museum. Largest motorcycle museum on the planet. I am not a motorcycle buff, but we were looking for something to do when my SIL and her family came to town to visit. We were amazed.

The Barons are out of town, which is too bad. That's a fun and easy night for the kids. Vulcan is great. The Birmingham Museum of Art is good and completely free. The Civil Rights Museum is outstanding.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 AM

302 posts, read 333,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Also, DO NOT MISS the Barber Motorsports Museum. Largest motorcycle museum on the planet. I am not a motorcycle buff, but we were looking for something to do when my SIL and her family came to town to visit. We were amazed.

The Barons are out of town, which is too bad. That's a fun and easy night for the kids. Vulcan is great. The Birmingham Museum of Art is good and completely free. The Civil Rights Museum is outstanding.
Glad you pointed out the Barons are away. Recommended that earlier (looked at June, not July). Would have been a great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area