Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 AM

946 posts, read 775,379 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as classifying a city primarily white collar or primarily blue collar? I was discussing this with someone the other day trying to compare Birmingham to some other cities like Pittsburgh. To me, Birmingham seems primarily white collar. Pittsburgh seems more blue collar. I could be totally wrong on this. It's just my opinion and not based on any hardcore facts.

I'm not saying this is bad thing or good thing. I'm just trying to describe the city based on the number of jobs in white collar versus blue collar.

I'm curious what others would have to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
I would say Birmingham is decidedly blue collar as opposed to white collar by whatever measure you want to use.

Incomes are below the national average, college degree obtainment (as well as graduate degrees) are below the national average... what makes you think of Birmingham as white collar?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I would say Birmingham is decidedly blue collar as opposed to white collar by whatever measure you want to use.

Incomes are below the national average, college degree obtainment (as well as graduate degrees) are below the national average... what makes you think of Birmingham as white collar?
Probably because the people he comes in contact with on a daily basis are white collar. Many people make this assumption.

To me, it isn't a necessarily flawed assumption, because all cities have a mix of all types. So, to answer your question OP, I don't think you really can classify unless you're just talking numbers.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:47 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,231,492 times
Certainly grew up as a blue collar city. So in that way, it's more white collar now than in years past.

But I don't think of it as a particularly white collar city. Maybe pretty evenly split, to be honest. For all the jobs in banking and medicine, we still have quite a few in manufacturing and automotive, for example.

I'm sure somewhere you could find a rough breakdown of jobs in the city, at least by service sector.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Mixed.

It's not really a bad thing either, means a more diverse Job Market.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:15 PM

946 posts, read 775,379 times
Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe it's just my feeling that Pittsburgh is more blue collar than B'ham.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:36 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:

Well, let's look at the statistics:

https://birminghambusinessalliance.c...data/industry/

Using 2013 numbers the total workforce was 507,300. Total employment in healthcare, finance, business services, and tech were somewhere around 262,300. That's more than half by a wide margin. So more white-collar than blue-collar.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:08 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Using 2013 numbers the total workforce was 507,300. Total employment in healthcare, finance, business services, and tech were somewhere around 262,300. That's more than half by a wide margin. So more white-collar than blue-collar.
Do you think a janitor that works at a hospital is white collar?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Do you think a janitor that works at a hospital is white collar?
You realize that works both ways, right? I have a couple of manufacturing clients. A large percentage of employees in those places never get dirty, working in executive, management, sales, IT, and financial. Meanwhile, I think it's pretty safe to assume that financial is almost exclusively white collar, as is education.

I mean, if you want to be tedious about matters and break it down by position-by-position description and do a headcount then knock yourself out.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 08-22-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 02:28 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I think you misinterpreted the information on the page. The orange highlighted areas are key components to the three major sectors. Total employment for those 4 categories are 181,600; about 36 percent of the total.

Here is an updated economic summary from the BLS, the same place the BBA got their information
https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeas...birmingham.pdf

As of June 2017, the four categories you mentioned total 189.4k, of 528.9k jobs; or roughly 36 percent of job force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area