Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:14 PM

508 posts, read 615,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think Texas might have a chance but states like Alabama need the educated populace. Cities like Boston, Denver, Chicago, Seattle have that. It's not cost-effective for them to have to relocate 95% of the workforce to a second headquarters.
Alabama has the educated class, they're just unable to maintain them because the lack of Amazon type of opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 02:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
For the same reason(s) companies locate to various cities within Texas and to Atlanta. Birmingham is NOT Alabama.....nor are many of the cities. The rural populations are just too high.
It's not that the rural population is too large; it's that the state doesn't have a major city to help drive state politics in a more progressive direction.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
They hire them in the "cheapest" city/states doesn't mean they are the best. There are many tech jobs being moved from overseas to rural US instead of big cities because low taxes and low salaries. That's is all.

I keep getting emails from recruiters of jobs in those towns and I refuse to go because why should I take a paycut to go to a small town, even if housing and food is free it doesn't mean anything.

If it wasn't for Trump, Amazon would probably open HQ in India.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:51 PM

628 posts, read 695,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They hire them in the "cheapest" city/states doesn't mean they are the best. There are many tech jobs being moved from overseas to rural US instead of big cities because low taxes and low salaries. That's is all.

I keep getting emails from recruiters of jobs in those towns and I refuse to go because why should I take a paycut to go to a small town, even if housing and food is free it doesn't mean anything.

:tape

:

Old 10-03-2017, 03:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon didn't do this to bring red states to heel and keep the process going for the next three years. They hate those tech companies and all those liberals unless they are moving to their respective states - then they love all that money. The Trump sons ran with their dad on conservative politics then tried to open a hotel in Vancouver, BC claiming they were progressives. They were met with ridicule. They apparently thought they could open hotels in Seattle and the Bay Area too but are learning they are not likely to see the success they hoped for. Red states were attacking Amazon and then Amazon announces this new headquarters with 50,000 new potential jobs and the attacks have quieted. Amazon knows what they are doing but cities should realize that an educated workforce will be a huge issue for them, they are not looking to relocate 50,000 employees, that would defeat the purpose. Cities like Birmingham will need to really drive education hard to attract these huge companies, better to start with smaller companies and work up to that.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not that the rural population is too large; it's that the state doesn't have a major city to help drive state politics in a more progressive direction.
Honestly, outside of Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina, none of the other Southern states have major metropolitan areas that can work (together) to shift their overall policy and politics in a progressive direction. Virginia has been the only one who has remained successful in doing this because it is truly the only purple Southern state these days.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wish Houston did that for Texas...

Old 10-03-2017, 07:31 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Alabama has the educated class, they're just unable to maintain them because the lack of Amazon type of opportunities.
So you think Alabama can compete with the metropolitan Boston area?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 PM

508 posts, read 615,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So you think Alabama can compete with the metropolitan Boston area?
Problem #1: Compare cities or states.

Yes, Birmingham and also Huntsville could both compete for companies against Boston.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:44 AM

283 posts, read 375,329 times
Quote:
Problem #1: Compare cities or states.

Yes, Birmingham and also Huntsville could both compete for companies against Boston.
Not with Alabama state government as a lead weight dragging both cities down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area