Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:06 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times

Advertisements

I would ignore the Cahaba Heights tornado information.

That kind of thing is totally random. Cahaba Heights could go 100 years without a tornado while the Riverchase area which hasn't been hit for decades could get 3 major ones in the next 10 years. You just don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianb View Post
OK, a few more questions. We have seen a house in River Chase we really like as well as two in North Pelham right next to River Chase and are looking along the Valleydale Corridor between 31 and 280. Should we be looking on both sides of Valleydale or mostly north of it?
Just east of Caldwell Mill or both sides? My thinking is I would prefer to stay closer to 31 because of less traffic and that is the area we know (Old Hoover and quicker to get to Vestavia). Should I throw those ideas out?
Can't really go wrong anywhere, but remember that re-sale depends a good bit on school zoning. Most all these areas have varying degrees of 'good' for the most part. And remember that traffic gets worse the closer you get to 280, for obvious reasons. Being on the other end near I-65 is a good thing IMO.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I would ignore the Cahaba Heights tornado information.

That kind of thing is totally random. Cahaba Heights could go 100 years without a tornado while the Riverchase area which hasn't been hit for decades could get 3 major ones in the next 10 years. You just don't know.
There is data to suggest that storms historically have followed similar paths.

Tornado History Project: Jefferson County, Alabama

Two pretty distinct tracts in Jeffco area.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:04 PM

That's like 50 years of data. For something as rare and random as tornadoes, that's a laughable sample size. It would be like flipping a coin 3 times and determining heads probably comes up more often than tails because it came up 2 of the first 3 times.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
OK, a few more questions. We have seen a house in River Chase we really like as well as two in North Pelham right next to River Chase and are looking along the Valleydale Corridor between 31 and 280. Should we be looking on both sides of Valleydale or mostly north of it?
Just east of Caldwell Mill or both sides? My thinking is I would prefer to stay closer to 31 because of less traffic and that is the area we know (Old Hoover and quicker to get to Vestavia). Should I throw those ideas out?
East and West of Caldwell Mill are both fine, and you won't see a significant difference in traffic between them. Same goes for north/south of Valleydale (though obviously you will be closer to downtown Birmingham north of Valleydale as opposed to south).

Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Most of the crime anywhere throughout the BHM Metro area is from people coming to the suburbs from BHM city or Bessemer.
Damn...really...just those two, huh....smh....people these days

Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Damn...really...just those two, huh....smh....people these days
He said most, not all.

He might not be THAT far off when you actually crunch the numbers. At least for certain types of crime.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,352 times
My apologies for the slow response. Between packing and home showings, it has been pretty hectic around here. I really do appreciate everyone offering their help with suggestions!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
There is data to suggest that storms historically have followed similar paths.
I actually agree with both statements. We currently live on the Georgia coast and people told us "Don't worry about storms, we haven't had a Hurricane in 125 years and be sure and buy a house with huge oak trees all around it." Haha. Well, after two Hurricanes in twelve months, we are a little tired of no storms.

We are still considering Ballantrae and Chelsea. Trying to keep all our options open but they do seems so far out. Never imagined they would build anything past Green Valley Elementary. That was out in the country Haha.

We already own a beautiful home but one of the main reasons we are moving is because there is just no sense of community here. The churches are empty as well which is very sad. Also, if you want to do any shopping, you have to drive to Jacksonville or Savannah.

Commuting is not a problem for us because I work at home. The real question is how is the sense of community out there and what are the shopping options? It doesn't have to be super fancy. For that we can drive into Birmingham. Just some nicer stores that my mother can go to when she needs to get out of the house would be great. Walmart, Dollar General and Winn-Dixie don't count Haha.

Last edited by toosie; 10-15-2017 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Edited references to deleted post

Old 10-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I actually agree with both statements. We currently live on the Georgia coast and people told us "Don't worry about storms, we haven't had a Hurricane in 125 years and be sure and buy a house with huge oak trees all around it." Haha. Well, after two Hurricanes in twelve months, we are a little tired of no storms.

Georgia, specifically the Georgia coast, while still being at risk to hurricanes, is statistically going to see far fewer landfalling storms than south Florida or the outer banks just due to the curvature of the coast and the direction hurricanes typically move as they approach North America.

So there is actual reason for that, but differentiating the tornado risk between Cahaba Heights and Gardendale and Hoover and Montevallo and Pell City? Not so much.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:05 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Georgia, specifically the Georgia coast, while still being at risk to hurricanes, is statistically going to see far fewer landfalling storms than south Florida or the outer banks just due to the curvature of the coast and the direction hurricanes typically move as they approach North America.

So there is actual reason for that, but differentiating the tornado risk between Cahaba Heights and Gardendale and Hoover and Montevallo and Pell City? Not so much.
Well, in the southern suburbs, sure. The poster who raised the question makes it sound as if we have to dodge the things during our morning commute. An F2 and F1 spread over 30 years isn't exactly that. On the other hand, NW of town seems to be a magnet for the powerful long-track tornados.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area