Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:26 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon70458 View Post
Yes! I was just about to post about Chief Ladiga Trail. This is more what I'm looking for but would love something a bit more urban that's not so far from where people live.

What $ maintains the Chief Ladiga Trail ?
I'm not sure but it is well maintained. Once there was a collapsed portion due to flooding and there was signage and detours telling bikers what to do. They fixed it within a few weeks.

And people you see along the way are very accomodating and/or nice. For example if someone is walking or jogging or skateboarding, they make way for bikers that are going faster. It really is a very enjoyable experience from a biking standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 02:53 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times

That's the (proposed) future phases of the SCG. Basically extend it west to Wildwood and John Carroll.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
jonjon - the Chief is Alabama's premiere 'rails-to-trails' project, and along with Georgia's 'Silver Comet trail' comprises about 100 miles of trail. The Chief was funded and is maintained by ALDOT and local Counties and Cities (with Federal grants). GODOT funds the Georgia trail.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:34 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
I recall working on the Red Rock Regional Trail System prior to my relocation. Portions of the Valley Creek and Village Creek Greenway trails have been constructed. Those are on the Westside of Birmingham, and those are as close as to the Beltline in Atlanta aside from the Rotary Trail, phase 1.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 13,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I recall working on the Red Rock Regional Trail System prior to my relocation. Portions of the Valley Creek and Village Creek Greenway trails have been constructed. Those are on the Westside of Birmingham, and those are as close as to the Beltline in Atlanta aside from the Rotary Trail, phase 1.
The only images I saw of this were of grassy and dirt roads. This would take 10 to 20 years to develop into something significant in a semi urban area like the ones I mentioned. I was hoping something new had popped up that I was unaware of.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:05 PM

43 posts, read 107,986 times
If you are wanting to stay in the Birmingham area and off the roads, Oak Mtn is really your only choice here. The full loop up and around Terrace Drive and Up and down Oak Mtn Park Rd(John Findlay Dr) is right around 17 miles. I'm not a fan of being out on the "real" roads so I have always taken my road bike rides at Oak Mtn....although I prefer mtn biking and Oak Mtn is absolutely fantastic for mtn biking.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:04 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilitiger View Post
If you are wanting to stay in the Birmingham area and off the roads, Oak Mtn is really your only choice here. The full loop up and around Terrace Drive and Up and down Oak Mtn Park Rd(John Findlay Dr) is right around 17 miles. I'm not a fan of being out on the "real" roads so I have always taken my road bike rides at Oak Mtn....although I prefer mtn biking and Oak Mtn is absolutely fantastic for mtn biking.
Thanks for clarifying this mileage. Also, just to confirm, this will cost each rider $5, right?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Thanks for clarifying this mileage. Also, just to confirm, this will cost each rider $5, right?
Yes, or you can get an annual pass. I forget how much it costs, but I want to say it is about $50.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 AM

15 posts, read 13,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilitiger View Post
Thanks for your insight. Yeah I have mountain biked Oak Mountain many times but never used a road bike. My only drawback to road riding there is this:

1. Still real roads with cars and blind corners
2. Long uphills and downhills making it too much of one thing for a good ride

Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM

43 posts, read 107,986 times
We just renewed our Oak Mtn annual pass and it is now a whopping $225 for a family pass. That gives us 2 passes. I keep one in my car and my husband keeps one in his car. We can bring in 4 people on each pass any time we go in. We live here in Pelham and go to Oak Mountain A LOT for road biking, mountain biking and hiking so we do better getting the pass rather than paying the $5 each visit per person. I am really not sure how much the single person pass is but I imagine its probably at least $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area