Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 PM
_OT _OT started this thread

2,183 posts, read 2,393,569 times

Advertisements

HOOVER, Ala. (WIAT) - If you live in the greater Birmingham area, you've probably encountered heavy traffic on U.S. Highway 280 at some point. Some leaders hope to alleviate that in the future with a rapid transit system.

Hoover mayor Frank Brocato is a big proponent of the idea.

"We've got to start thinking about transit, mass transit in this area to relieve some of this traffic," he said.

Talking 280 traffic
If local leaders decide to move forward with the idea, it would create a new lane to replace the median on U.S. 280. This lane would be used for a rapid transit system stretching from Shelby County to downtown Birmingham. Hoover mayor pushing for rapid transit system on Highway 280 - WIAT

Last edited by toosie; 06-14-2018 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM
_OT _OT started this thread

2,183 posts, read 2,393,569 times
What are the chances of this actually going into fruition?

Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 6,935,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
What are the chances of this actually going into fruition?
Better than they were 10 years ago. Beyond that? No idea.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM

12,636 posts, read 9,142,776 times
Before I read the article, I thought he meant a rail system. A "fancy" bus would certainly be cheaper, but it's going to take a lot of thought process changes for people outside of the Northeast and Washington to use rapid transit to any great degree ... we're too married to our cars.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:17 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,731,849 times
Yeah, I'm really not sure how something like this would work. The only way I can see this having any shot at making sense is if there were park and rides at major intersections/nodes like Lakeshore, The Summit/Colonnade/459, Valleydale, 119, etc. And even then, how many people are going to get into their cars, drive 5-10 minutes to a park and ride, and then take a bus the rest of the route. This would only make sense if the commute is an hour or longer, and I'm just not sure how many people really spend that long commuting. If the population density were higher along the 280 corridor into North Shelby County (and thus traffic and potential ridership higher), I could see it. But I don't really think we are at that threshold to be honest.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Yeah, I'm really not sure how something like this would work. The only way I can see this having any shot at making sense is if there were park and rides at major intersections/nodes like Lakeshore, The Summit/Colonnade/459, Valleydale, 119, etc. And even then, how many people are going to get into their cars, drive 5-10 minutes to a park and ride, and then take a bus the rest of the route. This would only make sense if the commute is an hour or longer, and I'm just not sure how many people really spend that long commuting. If the population density were higher along the 280 corridor into North Shelby County (and thus traffic and potential ridership higher), I could see it. But I don't really think we are at that threshold to be honest.
Maybe. But when Hoover's mayor starts to talk about it, it certainly is noteworthy.

Birmingham used to have an excellent public transit system for its day. The trolley system was scrapped in the 1950s, a time when mind-boggling stupidity seemed to be par for the course in this city.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:37 PM

377 posts, read 334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Better than they were 10 years ago. Beyond that? No idea.
It certainly seems that the needle has moved a lot from 10 years ago and the mayor of a major suburb such as Hoover seemingly getting on board with the idea speaks volumes. I think once the BRT is rolled out in Birmingham in the next couple of years with a pretty ambitious route from East to West we'll see if it can live up to it's surface subway moniker and how it performs with reducing headways, actual segregated lanes, level boarding etc and if it delivers as a true rapid transit system it becomes more of a real possibility for metro transit.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM

508 posts, read 608,929 times
Here in Los Angeles, it’s $1.75 each way. It’s $7 for an unlimited day pass, $25 for the week, $100 for the month and $127 per month if you want ALL trains and buses that connect 80+ miles from the city core. With that being said, pricing will be everything.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 PM

377 posts, read 334,408 times
It is definitely important that the system stays affordable. Our prices are cheaper and for a very efficient BRT I doubt people would have a problem paying a little more per trip. I think this could be perfect for 280 especially for people that commute downtown for work and back. Less gas money, less miles on your car, faster commute both ways will definitely get some attention. I would love to see a 24 hr transit system or at least one that runs until after midnight-2AM week long or most nights that could really get Birmingham back to having an excellent and viable public transit system, they could start with the Magic City Connector.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
It is definitely important that the system stays affordable. Our prices are cheaper and for a very efficient BRT I doubt people would have a problem paying a little more per trip. I think this could be perfect for 280 especially for people that commute downtown for work and back. Less gas money, less miles on your car, faster commute both ways will definitely get some attention. I would love to see a 24 hr transit system or at least one that runs until after midnight-2AM week long or most nights that could really get Birmingham back to having an excellent and viable public transit system, they could start with the Magic City Connector.
If I lived out in Greystone or Inverness and could shave 30 minutes off my commute while reading a book or working a crossword puzzle, well sign me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area