Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:47 PM

12,797 posts, read 9,298,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Huntsville has a good tech sector, fed primarily by defense and aerospace. I don't think anybody's questioning that. But, gotta say it, there's a little bit of neediness and insecurity on the part of the Huntsville peeps who keep popping up when Birmingham tech gets mentioned and saying, "But what about meeeeeeee?"

It's also not the point of the article. It's about how Birmingham has put together a public/private partnership to create a tech industry where it hadn't existed before, and how it has enjoyed some success. It didn't say that Birmingham was the next Seattle or Austin. It simply points out the effectiveness of the effort.
Really? Haven't noticed that. The only insecurity I've seen, if you want to call it that, is the refusal of the state, particularly AlDoT, to adequately address transportion needs for north Alabama. I don't think anyone in Huntsville is worried about Birmingham siphoning technology functions that are here or will be in the future. Some Birminghamians seem to be insecure about losing the "distinction" of being the largest city in the state, but we all know that's virtually meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 03:53 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,328,663 times
Roads are obviously being built where they are needed. More whining from the lead of the choir.

Minivan hit it on the head but we still don't understand the insecurity from an otherwise nice growing little community. Maybe if the city ever matures and loses its suburban character it will be less envious of what happens in the rest of the state.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:17 PM

12,797 posts, read 9,298,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Roads are obviously being built where they are needed. More whining from the lead of the choir.

Minivan hit it on the head but we still don't understand the insecurity from an otherwise nice growing little community. Maybe if the city ever matures and loses its suburban character it will be less envious of what happens in the rest of the state.
Haha. Hilarious.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:33 PM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Really? Haven't noticed that. The only insecurity I've seen, if you want to call it that, is the refusal of the state, particularly AlDoT, to adequately address transportion needs for north Alabama. I don't think anyone in Huntsville is worried about Birmingham siphoning technology functions that are here or will be in the future. Some Birminghamians seem to be insecure about losing the "distinction" of being the largest city in the state, but we all know that's virtually meaningless.

Climb on a Reddit board every once in a while. Jesus on a minibike. Those guys are just like gnats.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,475,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Truthfully, I want both Birmingham and Huntsville to continue to prosper as these are the only areas of the state that have the ability to shift the political equation into more moderate to slightly progressive direction. Furthermore, I don't Huntsville should have any worries about anything except the infrastructure needed to support its population. ALDOT is the bane of both cities existence in the modern

However, it is very curious when questions and odd inquiries are raised that comes off as if Birmingham is not doing something. Birmingham has a political equation that Huntsville does not contend with that is multiple jurisdictions and demographic diversity that includes 30% black population. Regardless, of how we want to be optimistic about things, there are still prejudiced white people in Alabama, even in the Birmingham area. Many of them don't want to see Birmingham prosper because it is a led by a young, educated black male at the moment. There is a pervasive and instilled perspective of black people in general as 'not good enough'. I'm in Atlanta at the moment this city has HORRIBLE black leadership at the moment because of this "keep things black" mentality. Ironically, Birmingham does not possess that view for its betterment and sometimes its detriment.

Birmingham will likely remain the largest municipality and region in the long term because of its infrastructure and logistics. It has basically stopped its population loss and the only thing that may decline will be North Birmingham because of the recent environmental problems because of basically political sabotage of an EPA Superfund designation of the area and the parts of Southwest Birmingham that are north of Red Mountain. Otherwise, Birmingham will likely see a massive amount of gentrification in the next few years because of the desire for people to live as close as possible the City Center.

What I am saying, Birmingham and Huntsville are in very different tiers and lanes. Tech in Birmingham will be combination of startups, data infrastructure, biotechnology, and high tech manufacturing, but much of the startup will come from local and outside investor and venture capital. As result, it will likely be on a higher and more prominent platform than other Alabama cities when it comes to tech because venture capital is "sexy" in economic world. Hence, why Forbes has this article on the city's tech sector. Huntsville will be fine and it should because of the long term federal investment of Redstone Arsenal, Cummings Research Park, high tech manufacturing facilities, and the recent investments of several TIFs throughout the city. If you going to speak on Birmingham in its subforum, speak on it with nuance so that others like myself, do not get the impression of the "pick me" sentiments. Most people I know on the ground in Birmingham are not checking for Huntsville because they know it is in a different tier and lane.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 PM

1,180 posts, read 978,297 times
When did Birmingham climb over the other southern cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, and Raleigh to even be considered for this title?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:09 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,475,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
When did Birmingham climb over the other southern cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, and Raleigh to even be considered for this title?
Well, you would have to read the article in Forbes in the initial post and that will tell you how and why. While others have attempted to dismiss the city, it has been working hard in silence. Apparently, Birmingham is not allowing itself to the red-headed stepchild of other Southern cities.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM

302 posts, read 333,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Provocative headline. But the article highlights a number of strategic efforts and regional wins that affirm Birmingham's commitment to becoming a southern tech hub.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:10 PM

2,439 posts, read 2,206,560 times
yeah, it's a good article, but that headline is definitely a bit of hyperbole.

still, I think the average non-Birmingham resident might be a little surprised at some of the companies/startups that have sprung up here over the last few years.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM

302 posts, read 333,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
yeah, it's a good article, but that headline is definitely a bit of hyperbole.

still, I think the average non-Birmingham resident might be a little surprised at some of the companies/startups that have sprung up here over the last few years.
This. The amount of local press the article has already generated is remarkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area