Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 12:40 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
I think Hoover is on the right track with their 12/3 deadline to ALEA to release the pertinent information to the public or they will. Hoover needs to be as transparent as possible or this could turn into a serious and long term issue that will negatively define Hoover for decades if not handled properly and they seem to know that (think Sanford Florida).With their ambitious master plan, SEC tournament, SEC media days, and their rank as the biggest and among the best Birmingham suburbs on the line, this a loss they cannot afford to take. Releasing the officer's name and video footage regardless of it's content (if it shows the officer acted recklessly or committed a crime and should be charged, or not) will help Hoover rehabilitate its image in the short term and will be noted as proper protocol and fair action in the long term. Birmingham and Greater Birmingham so far have escaped the glaring media scrutiny and Hoover is taking the full brunt of the negative media attention since it happened in Hoover. That's good news for metro Birmingham as a whole that only Hoover is in the spotlight for such a negative story. If handled well and in a transparent manner, Hoover will be beyond the negative association within a years time, and Birmingham will not be affected at all. If they fail to do so, Hoover for sure and Greater Birmingham potentially will be categorized as a very racist and unsafe area in the long term and a brand new stigma like that will remain and be costly for years.
All because some black guys got into a shoot out at a mall during TG. This is the ultimate example of what has happened in this country especially, but the world in general.
I remember when one of the most important lessons when growing up was taking responsibility for one's actions. Perhaps the blame should stop with the instigators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:00 PM

377 posts, read 340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
All because some black guys got into a shoot out at a mall during TG? This is the ultimate example of what has happened in this country especially, but the world in general.
I remember when one of the most important lessons when growing up was taking responsibility for one's actions. Perhaps the blame should stop with the instigators.
Absolutely. It is wise to do the due diligence and investigate this fully and to be as transparent as possible since an innocent man from a good family was wrongfully killed. At this point it is premature to consider the young man killed by Hoover PD an instigator until the footage of the incident is revealed to the public,and as far as we know he had nothing to do with any altercation or shootout. What we do know with surety is that the wrong person was shot and killed by a police officer. The wrong thing for Hoover or ALEA to do right now would be to adopt the "stop snitching" stance (blue wall of silence) police so often rail against when investigating crime when it comes to a fellow officer. As a story of national significance now that is the concern. If it seems that the witness statements and video/audio evidence shows the officer is guilty of a crime then the blame should certainly not stop with the instigators, rather all culpable parties in the incident should be held accountable. As you said one of the most important life lessons is taking responsibility for one's actions.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,164,659 times
"Some black guy got into a SHOOTOUT at a mall during TG"...smh

Old 12-03-2018, 05:57 PM

377 posts, read 340,314 times
SMH indeed...

Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
21-Year Old US Army Veteran
Shot from behind
In the head, neck, and back
While Leading shoppers to safety

Forensics reports officer should be charged with a crime.
Hoover also won’t release footage

Oh boy, it’s not looking pretty for Hoover and HPD.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 PM

9 posts, read 4,347 times
I don’t live in Birmingham anymore, or the US for that matter but I have talked about this issue and heard a lot about it from pretty much everyone I’ve known my entire life.

What should this event change? Everything.
What will it change? Sadly I think very little.

From what I’ve seen/heard most people are not very concerned with galleria safety as much as discussing the police issue. I’ve kept people from every walk of my life on my Facebook feed, even those I disagree with, especially those, and especially now that I moved away because I want to keep in touch with how people feel. I’ve seen posts about this issue every day since it happened.
Type A : SHOW THE TAPE SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE JOIN OUR PROTEST
Type B: our police are just doing there job!!! If you put your hands up you wouldn’t get shot.Black hoodlums etc.

I do think that this even will be another straw on the back of poc in Alabama, which has serious racism issues that if you haven’t seen is your fault, and poc across the US.
How many straws until the back breaks? I sincerely hope there aren’t anymore straws.
Watching the US, especially Alabama from afar the past few years has been one of the most eye opening experiences of my life.

In practical measures, his parents ar suing and they have a lot of support. I think overall this will contribute to overall change.

Yes, we should “wait until all the facts are in” but 1. The police didn’t wait until all the facts were in before they shot him in the back or announced, wrongly and everywhere, that he was the killer.
2. The facts are the Hoover police said he was the shooter, then said he wasn’t the shooter but brandishing a gun, then later admitted he was just holding a gun, and then the autopsy showed he was shot in the back.
3. Due to these facts and testimony from people I know who were there, I do believe, like the recent security guard in Chicago this will be another “good guy with a gun” who was in the wrong place and the wrong skin.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 AM

666 posts, read 515,527 times
Well I thought the fall out wouldn't be a huge deal but it looks like people are making it a big deal by protesting local businesses like the Galleria (who is not at fault). People illegally marching in the streets hurts local businesses and they're calling for others to go to other nearby cities to get gas, eat, and do business.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Right, I don't think there's enough information to be doing so much damage to Hoover and the Galleria. I didn't think it would have too much of an effect nationwide. But the protesters are ensuring that the nation look negatively on Hoover now and they're taking down the Galleria and local businesses while they're at it. Genius.

I also think HPD release too much information too soon. While it's tragic, it's a FAR CRY to say this cop just wanted to shoot a black guy. There are much easier and less publicized ways to shoot someone so it's a hard for me to see this being a race thing.

So if anything is damaging to the brand and name of Birmingham, it's the people protesting and ruining their own city.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Right, I don't think there's enough information to be doing so much damage to Hoover and the Galleria. I didn't think it would have too much of an effect nationwide. But the protesters are ensuring that the nation look negatively on Hoover now and they're taking down the Galleria and local businesses while they're at it. Genius.

I also think HPD release too much information too soon. While it's tragic, it's a FAR CRY to say this cop just wanted to shoot a black guy. There are much easier and less publicized ways to shoot someone so it's a hard for me to see this being a race thing.

So if anything is damaging to the brand and name of Birmingham, it's the people protesting and ruining their own city.
Ironically, Birmingham has not come across at all in any of the news publications across the globe about this story. The closest is "a suburb of Birmingham" or "in the Birmingham metropolitan area", which is not directly tied to the City of Birmingham. It looks like that is not likely the case.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Ironically, Birmingham has not come across at all in any of the news publications across the globe about this story. The closest is "a suburb of Birmingham" or "in the Birmingham metropolitan area", which is not directly tied to the City of Birmingham. It looks like that is not likely the case.
Yeah I know, it has not been widely publicized mainly because of the other news going on right now.. Everything with Trump and of course GHW Bush. This would probably be 2nd page news but it looks like the protestors are not satisfied with that..

Don't misunderstand me, i feel for the people and agree with their voices/concerns being heard loudly! But, they're going to ensure that negative news land in Hoover/Bham and that's not good.

Maybe this is a good time to think more about regional cooperation and annex hoover into Bham ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area