Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 04:17 PM

666 posts, read 515,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
When you think about it; not a lot of people are traveling to cities for outdoor activities, maybe LA and Miami, but it’s not really common as you may think. Not even Austin or Nashville.
I agree. Maybe Denver, Ashville/Charlotte for the smokeys, and of course parts of CA and Miami for obvious reasons. Which is why I say it's not good to try to promote it when it's not very promotable. I would say the same about 90% of cities in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 10:54 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
When you think about it; not a lot of people are traveling to cities for outdoor activities, maybe LA and Miami, but it’s not really common as you may think. Not even Austin or Nashville.
I disagree. Thousands come every year for Nashville's lakes and hiking. Middle Tennessee is very outdoorsy.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:18 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I disagree. Thousands come every year for Nashville's lakes and hiking. Middle Tennessee is very outdoorsy.
Statiscally, thousands go to Birmingham for outdoor activities, that’s still doesn’t mean Birmingham is a tourist spot in regards to its outdoor activities; same for Nashville.

It’s not normally a draw for either Nashville or Birmingham. If you go out to LA, and you spark a random conversation about Nashville’s Tourist Attractions, you know, and I know what’ll exactly be brought up the most, and it doesn’t involve outdoor activities. In this case, same thing goes for Birmingham.

If someone is going to spend $$$ to go to a lake and go hiking, especially in Tennessee, why go to Nashville?

Old 12-20-2018, 07:30 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
Forgive me, but as one who works in the secondary education system I would believe you've got a bit of a bias towards the magic bullet to fix the metro. Nothing wrong with that, but I would just disagree. Skilled workers and educated workers are not one in the same.

I have a hard time believing clubbing residents over the head with more college is hardly an answer to attract businesses here. The residents leave here chasing high paying jobs available elsewhere because many of the other metros have more to offer.
My impression was the Superintendent and Chancellor were talking about education in general and how it needed to be improved at all levels, but the specific meetings with manufacturers who were considering moving to Alabama were disappointed with the lack of basic skills (not college level) among potential employees. This is anecdotal, as they didn't give any specific examples.

I absolutely agree that college is not an answer for everybody. Two year schools can help many, since they offer a lot of skills-based programs; however, you still have to be able to communicate and do basic math to succeed in those areas as well.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
Quote:
Statiscally, thousands go to Birmingham for outdoor activities, that’s still doesn’t mean Birmingham is a tourist spot in regards to its outdoor activities; same for Nashville.
I could see the outdoor activities in Nashville being a secondary draw for things to do if someone visits for a few days. My wife and I like to mix up city stuff and outdoor stuff when we visit places that offer both. However, I agree that outdoorsy stuff isn't really a primary draw for tourists in either Nashville or Birmingham.

I absolutely think Birmingham's setting should be a major selling point for recruiting new employees. The city doesn't take advantage of its natural beauty. Why don't we have more restaurants and bars where you can sit out and look over the city lights, for example?

Old 12-20-2018, 07:52 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I could see the outdoor activities in Nashville being a secondary draw for things to do if someone visits for a few days. My wife and I like to mix up city stuff and outdoor stuff when we visit places that offer both. However, I agree that outdoorsy stuff isn't really a primary draw for tourists in either Nashville or Birmingham.

I absolutely think Birmingham's setting should be a major selling point for recruiting new employees. The city doesn't take advantage of its natural beauty. Why don't we have more restaurants and bars where you can sit out and look over the city lights, for example?
Many of the newer restaurants are taking advantage of the scenery. Especially, the newly developments do include outdoor elements such as patios with great views of the City and Red Mountain.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:01 AM

157 posts, read 153,474 times
Quote:
I absolutely think Birmingham's setting should be a major selling point for recruiting new employees. The city doesn't take advantage of its natural beauty.
This x100

Old 12-20-2018, 08:10 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:

It seems that pretty much everybody I've ever encountered who comes to Birmingham for the first time remarks on its beauty. As in, "I kind of thought it would just be flat." Mind you, it's not Asheville or Denver. But it does speak to the fact that no one really is aware that the surrounding area is quite graceful.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,805 times
Are there going to be people outside the region to know about birmingham nature scene. Probably not. I highly doubt it if the city is running radio and tv ad's about red mountain and ruffner mountain and other amenties in other cities media market. Most tourist spots in this country that people know off hand has been popular for many decades. Is the city using social media and the internet to promote spots around the city, more than likely.

There are websites dedicated to both mountains area, vulcan park sit on top of red mountain. Everyone visits vulcan. Their are many people that comes in town on business or school tours and make their way to different spots in town every year, all year. Just because the majority of us don't see it, don't mean it's not happening.

When people think of alabama, they think of it as portrayed thru television and movies. So of course they are suprised when they make a trip and see tall buildings, paved streets, entertainment options, diversity of people, mountains, etc. because backward, stuck in the past image is what's been market thru the entertainment media companies.

Alabama is a poor state to begin with. So wanting things to be like florida, california, new york, texas, and others are just unrealistic. Birmingham has what it have from local people wanting to make change and invest time and effort into bringing more things to the city. Can it happen at a faster pace. Maybe, perhaps. That would be great. But it is what it. is right now.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:26 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:

It’s not normally a draw for either Nashville or Birmingham. If you go out to LA, and you spark a random conversation about Nashville’s Tourist Attractions, you know, and I know what’ll exactly be brought up the most, and it doesn’t involve outdoor activities. In this case, same thing goes for Birmingham.

If someone is going to spend $$$ to go to a lake and go hiking, especially in Tennessee, why go to Nashville?
No it's not the same for Nashville. This includes outdoor parks and festivals. Not even close.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ties-nashville

https://www.visitmusiccity.com/visit...odo/outdoorfun

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ent...est/417450002/

https://www.cmaworld.com/cma-fest-so...-year-history/

https://www.nashvilleshores.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area