Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 AM

666 posts, read 516,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i wonder if this includes construction jobs?
I don't see why it wouldn't as long as the construction firm is a Bham based company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
^ i guess i meant construction workers on various projects around town. the 20/59 reconstruction, for instance. if the subcontractor is from out of town but the workers are in birmingham doing the work, where do those numbers get counted?

Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
^ i guess i meant construction workers on various projects around town. the 20/59 reconstruction, for instance. if the subcontractor is from out of town but the workers are in birmingham doing the work, where do those numbers get counted?

I would imagine the statistic are pretty straightforward, namely people who are actively working inside the metro. Plus the fact that Ted's is an awesome meat and three.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:49 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I would be one of those that says there is NO real growth without respectable job growth. You have to have something underneath to sustain revitalization. This certainly looks good to me.

But, i still dont understand how this number could increase so much and population NOT increase proportionately.
If I told you that most of the time the US Census estimations are just mathematical forecasts based on a quantitative analysis formula would you believe me? Yeah, a mathematical forecast equation, throw in building permits (i.e. certificates of occupancy from municipalities and counties that have home rule/local governance/municipal government functions) and you get US Census annual ACS (American Community Survey) estimates. I've said for YEARS they are trash, but most want to live and die on that hill. It's the reason why some cities numbers were horribly off over the years compared to the decennial count. *cough* City of Atlanta *cough* which was off by nearly 100K between the 2009 estimate and actual 2010 count.

Birmingham has either balanced its population (not growing nor shrinking) or grown by approximately 1-2K residents. 2020 will be a turning point count for the City of Birmingham.

Last edited by jero23; 05-10-2019 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 10:07 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
the latest population estimates definitely point to a major slowdown in the "hemorrhaging" of residents from the previous decades. hope you're right that we'll see an uptick soon.

the question is whether the obvious population growth in downtown, five points/southside, avondale, etc is enough to offset potential losses elsewhere.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
the latest population estimates definitely point to a major slowdown in the "hemorrhaging" of residents from the previous decades. hope you're right that we'll see an uptick soon.

the question is whether the obvious population growth in downtown, five points/southside, Avondale, etc is enough to offset potential losses elsewhere.
Good point. It depends honestly on how fast those areas are and (going to be in the next 12 months). As the City gain more and more publicity as a "diamond in the ruff" yet affordable place to live the growth rate of those and several more neighborhoods are going to accelerate. Another point that is overlooked is how many Hispanic people are popping up throughout Birmingham proper. The percentage of Hispanic/Latino residents in the next few years is going up as well citywide.

Last edited by jero23; 05-10-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 10:11 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Simply stating that everyone is hiring is not an indication of great jobs, just jobs.
What kind of jobs are they and does anyone want them?
There has not been any advancement in wages or benefits, so nothing has changed.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM

81 posts, read 71,086 times
Quote:

the question is whether the obvious population growth in downtown, five points/southside, avondale, etc is enough to offset potential losses elsewhere.
Yes I concur with the first part. I really think we will look back on 2010-now as the period where the city stopped the bleeding, people stopped leaving in droves, people had renewed interest in the city, and a lot of stigma around the city has been repaired and the narratives changed. I see the 2020 decade as the one where we could see a nice uptick in citizens. Not at Nashville or Atlanta levels by any means, but good consistent growth that we can all feel good about.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbirmingham View Post
Yes I concur with the first part. I really think we will look back on 2010-now as the period where the city stopped the bleeding, people stopped leaving in droves, people had renewed interest in the city, and a lot of stigma around the city has been repaired and the narratives changed. I see the 2020 decade as the one where we could see a nice uptick in citizens. Not at Nashville or Atlanta levels by any means, but good consistent growth that we can all feel good about.
Nashville population is slowing down already... Birmingham can aim more towards the type of growth of Charlotte, Richmond, Norfolk, and Raleigh.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Simply stating that everyone is hiring is not an indication of great jobs, just jobs.
What kind of jobs are they and does anyone want them?
There has not been any advancement in wages or benefits, so nothing has changed.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Wage growth is doing just fine, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area