U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2019, 05:39 PM
 
360 posts, read 224,989 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
agree with steveklein... for me, it's all the other things that could've been done with that money (from a transportation standpoint) that seem more beneficial.
Agreed. I-65 from University Blvd to Hwy 31 in Vestavia badly needs to be repaved in each direction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh
2,580 posts, read 2,230,334 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
Agreed. I-65 from University Blvd to Hwy 31 in Vestavia badly needs to be repaved in each direction.
The type of rehab that concrete slab type of pavement for I-65 would take at least 6 months on a low end because they would have to crush and re-cement each slab in both directions along that stretch. ALDOT and RPCGB/Birmingham MPO should be prioritizing this particular corridor because this is a major freeway/gateway into the City. However, I believe both parties are sitting on this because they want to place high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes along I-65 as a way to pay for its increased capacity and providing some form of high occupancy vehicles (HOV) lanes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 11:29 AM
 
364 posts, read 278,925 times
Reputation: 225
Speaking of the beltline here are a couple of very recent articles about where it stands:
Jefferson County looks to resume work on Northern Beltline
https://www.wvtm13.com/article/jeffe...tline/28668011

Want a beltline, Jeffco? Make it a toll road
https://www.al.com/news/2019/08/want...toll-road.html

I'm not against it, but it certainly could be done better. Ideally I-422 could have a similar economic and development impact on northern and western Jefferson county that I-459 did for Hoover and Southern Jefferson county. The rub is it is much too long specifically the eastern portion between I-65 and Argo. It is going to take too long to complete at around 30+ years, and too expensive to have to wait for so long IMO. The terminus should be at I-59/I-459 interchange around Trussville/Huffman creating a contiguous beltline rather than running so far north and east. From what I recall the route was driven by Drummond and US Steel which stand to make a lot of money from land sales. However if this was the only feasible route due to ROW or land conditions (which I doubt) I understand and prefer it to happen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 12:13 PM
 
Location: 35203
1,895 posts, read 1,690,241 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
Speaking of the beltline here are a couple of very recent articles about where it stands:
Jefferson County looks to resume work on Northern Beltline
https://www.wvtm13.com/article/jeffe...tline/28668011

Want a beltline, Jeffco? Make it a toll road
https://www.al.com/news/2019/08/want...toll-road.html

I'm not against it, but it certainly could be done better. Ideally I-422 could have a similar economic and development impact on northern and western Jefferson county that I-459 did for Hoover and Southern Jefferson county. The rub is it is much too long specifically the eastern portion between I-65 and Argo. It is going to take too long to complete at around 30+ years, and too expensive to have to wait for so long IMO. The terminus should be at I-59/I-459 interchange around Trussville/Huffman creating a contiguous beltline rather than running so far north and east. From what I recall the route was driven by Drummond and US Steel which stand to make a lot of money from land sales. However if this was the only feasible route due to ROW or land conditions (which I doubt) I understand and prefer it to happen.
Too many residential and business throughout that area around.. Edward Lake Road trussville, huffman, centerpoint, apple valley, sun valley, north tarrant, carson road, fultondale, north roebuck, several other birmingham neighborhoods that are in that area. just impossible to displace that many people and business
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 PM
 
296 posts, read 287,159 times
Reputation: 163
Yep. ROW should have been acquired decades ago. WAY too late now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 03:33 PM
 
364 posts, read 278,925 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Too many residential and business throughout that area around.. Edward Lake Road trussville, huffman, centerpoint, apple valley, sun valley, north tarrant, carson road, fultondale, north roebuck, several other birmingham neighborhoods that are in that area. just impossible to displace that many people and business

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Yep. ROW should have been acquired decades ago. WAY too late now.
Agreed, that always seemed to be the big hiccup. If they could blast through Red Mountain for the expressway the rough terrain couldn't be that much of an issue so I always looked beyond that. It seems that the only feasible ROW route for the beltline to happen was up around Argo. Had this been undertaken in the 1980's after the completion of I-459 perhaps it could have been completed without going through Argo, that being said I'd prefer it happen. Hopefully the state will get serious about it and spend the money to get it completed as soon as possible and be done with it. The longer they drag their feet construction costs will continue to rise and it will get continue to get more expensive for them to complete.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,655 posts, read 1,601,384 times
Reputation: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
From what I recall the route was driven by Drummond and US Steel which stand to make a lot of money from land sales.
Archibald said this too and, in my opinion, that's an interesting way to look at it. Looks like he's trying very hard to find problems, that's why he used terms like "Fat Cat Land Owner".

I think it's much more likely that DOT would rather deal with a few land owners, rather than hundreds or thousands. That makes the land farther out, a LOT more attractive. And government always pays fair market value, it's federal law. The landowners will be made whole, as they should, but they will NOT be made rich due to some backroom deal.

There doesn't always have to be a boogeyman. Usually, there isn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 03:24 PM
 
364 posts, read 278,925 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Archibald said this too and, in my opinion, that's an interesting way to look at it. Looks like he's trying very hard to find problems, that's why he used terms like "Fat Cat Land Owner".

I think it's much more likely that DOT would rather deal with a few land owners, rather than hundreds or thousands. That makes the land farther out, a LOT more attractive. And government always pays fair market value, it's federal law. The landowners will be made whole, as they should, but they will NOT be made rich due to some backroom deal.

There doesn't always have to be a boogeyman. Usually, there isn't.
I think so too, I understand that its not the best option and its expensive but it does seem to be excessive push back towards a city/metro that could benefit from having a completed interstate system. The "Fat Cat Land Owner" comment does give it away. Totally agree with the DOT position as well. It seems that the farther out Argo route is the only feasible route at this time to get it done. The boogeyman in this case was the insistence by state government specifically Wallace that Birmingham would be the last city to have a completed interstate system (as the rumor has it) as an act of political sniping for not voting for him. That boogeyman is long gone and looking at Drummond and US Steel and the future I-422 in such a negative light over this is excessive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 PM
 
Location: 35203
1,895 posts, read 1,690,241 times
Reputation: 743
https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...ing-bills.html

And it's getting back started, hopefully for good. Maybe ALDOT can entice whoever is constructing it with a finish early bonus incentive and complete this thing under 10 years
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 PM
 
3,215 posts, read 3,356,241 times
Reputation: 4369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...ing-bills.html

And it's getting back started, hopefully for good. Maybe ALDOT can entice whoever is constructing it with a finish early bonus incentive and complete this thing under 10 years
lol? 2054 was the date set some number of years ago and there have been delays since then. So don't expect it finished before 2054.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top