Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 10:39 PM

880 posts, read 803,152 times

Advertisements

The Tuskegee-Morehouse Classic could be relocated to Birmingham! If it happens, the city of Birmingham needs to nurture, support, and grow this classic to attendance numbers that rival the Magic City Classic. Maybe Birmingham can become known as HBCU classic capitol!

https://www.wtvm.com/2020/02/13/tusk...ving-columbus/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 08:05 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,118,732 times
Both of those schools has some major alumni's, including our own mayor (morehouse)..

New stadium already paying dividends and hasn't been built, yet.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 AM

10,494 posts, read 6,930,454 times
That's fantastic news. Whenever I hear about something like this, I always think about those idiots who complained about the price of the stadium. Total lack of imagination and short term thinking.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's fantastic news. Whenever I hear about something like this, I always think about those idiots who complained about the price of the stadium. Total lack of imagination and short term thinking.
Well, people only think present time, not future time around these neck of the woods, mini. Folks around here might not believe in the city because of past failures, but outsiders have a different feel about Birmingham. It's total different now. They see all these national publications and stories about the revitalization going on and wants to be a part of it. If only the city had a more aggressive PR department (*cough..GCVB of Bham and BBA), who knows what could happen for the city. I imagine this won't be the last of news about events coming to the new stadium.

The two biggest investments coming to the city is the new stadium and legacy area remodel. Both will be HUGE for bringing in people and dollars to the city in future events..

Old 02-14-2020, 08:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,944,796 times
Larry Langford's plans don't seem so crazy now.

It's amazing how the tide can change, albeit very slowly. People just need something to believe in.

And it's not like those dome plans were THAT crazy anyway, I mean it's just common sense to rebuild that area around the BJCC, which Langford wasn't originally planning on doing, just needed some guidance. Birmingham just had (and still has more to do) to get rid of the EXTREME negativity that so many had for it. I don't understand that line of thinking.

I'm still hopeful my current city can do the same things. If Birmingham can rise above where it was in the 2000s, then it can be done just about anywhere.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 6,930,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Larry Langford's plans don't seem so crazy now.

It's amazing how the tide can change, albeit very slowly. People just need something to believe in.

And it's not like those dome plans were THAT crazy anyway, I mean it's just common sense to rebuild that area around the BJCC, which Langford wasn't originally planning on doing, just needed some guidance. Birmingham just had (and still has more to do) to get rid of the EXTREME negativity that so many had for it. I don't understand that line of thinking.

I'm still hopeful my current city can do the same things. If Birmingham can rise above where it was in the 2000s, then it can be done just about anywhere.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Larry Langford has a zillion ideas and most of them were unworkable. Remember he was the one who boasted that we could land the 2020 Olympics.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,944,796 times
Quote:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Larry Langford has a zillion ideas and most of them were unworkable. Remember he was the one who boasted that we could land the 2020 Olympics.
World Games. Scaled down, but you have to dream. Someone always has to be sacrificed for the greater good.

Sad thing is he won't be given any credit for the change he invoked. Short, short memories people have.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I think people took what he vision the wrong way. He wasn't saying the olympics could happen. He was just gauging the interests of people (locals and outsiders) to invest into the city beforehand. No different then today. Someone make a claim to develop or bring some form of entertainment to the city (if impossible), it generates conversation and interest from people. The "let me get in before it happens" crowds invest so they can reap the benefits once (if) it happens. Atleast he threw ideas out there to keep the city name generating buzz and conversation at a time when it was sitting at rock bottom.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:51 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,730,209 times
Quote:
Whenever I see comments like this, I think of the idiots that ignore the mountains of evidence that show publicly financed stadiums are not good investments for the cities in which they are built. Total lack of comprehension.

https://www.johnlocke.org/policy-pos...nded-stadiums/

Old 02-14-2020, 11:41 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,187,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Whenever I see comments like this, I think of the idiots that ignore the mountains of evidence that show publicly financed stadiums are not good investments for the cities in which they are built. Total lack of comprehension.

https://www.johnlocke.org/policy-pos...nded-stadiums/
to be fair, the entire thing is not publicly financed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area