Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 02:37 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,982,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Happy to have it? Yes

Will it prove to be a good investment? I believe so

Is it yet another example of Bhm / AL not daring to dream big enough, to fail to manifest a truly game-changing development when the opportunity was in-hand? Absolutely.
Dumb.

Birmingham finally did the RIGHT thing in this instance.

You prove that no matter what you do, there will be haters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 03:42 PM

401 posts, read 535,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Dumb.

Birmingham finally did the RIGHT thing in this instance.

You prove that no matter what you do, there will be haters.

Yeah, I've casually made note of your posts on this forum over the years. Many big comments from such a small mind. You don't really strike me as a particularly informed or serious individual. Good luck with unemployment though.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:02 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times
some pretty good close up / detailed shots from their FB page today:

https://www.facebook.com/protectives...59598281460964

Old 11-20-2020, 08:23 AM

346 posts, read 264,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
some pretty good close up / detailed shots from their FB page today:

https://www.facebook.com/protectives...59598281460964
Man this is going to be so good for the city. Too bad the AAF couldn't have worked out, they would have been packing that place out.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:22 PM

69 posts, read 70,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
Man this is going to be so good for the city. Too bad the AAF couldn't have worked out, they would have been packing that place out.
Maybe we can swing a Falcons preseason game every once in a blue moon.. or Alabama could play A-Day there one year (they let everyone in for free anyway so it's not like they'd be missing out on a profit)... or even better yet, an XFL team if the league actually starts back up. This stadium is huge for Birmingham... many people don't seem to understand. I have noticed that there is lots of apathy from the black community in Birmingham towards anything with "white dollars" attached to it... especially Protective Stadium. I think it's stupid but oh well.....

Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times
i do think the stadium is a very good thing for the city, and i love that it is downtown and surrounded by amenities (which will likely increase with the redevelopment of carraway). i only wish the design was a little more inspired (i'm fine with it not being a dome).

Old 11-21-2020, 05:33 PM

302 posts, read 335,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmullen99 View Post
Maybe we can swing a Falcons preseason game every once in a blue moon.. or Alabama could play A-Day there one year (they let everyone in for free anyway so it's not like they'd be missing out on a profit)... or even better yet, an XFL team if the league actually starts back up. This stadium is huge for Birmingham... many people don't seem to understand. I have noticed that there is lots of apathy from the black community in Birmingham towards anything with "white dollars" attached to it... especially Protective Stadium. I think it's stupid but oh well.....
Not sure I'm following...

Old 11-21-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i do think the stadium is a very good thing for the city, and i love that it is downtown and surrounded by amenities (which will likely increase with the redevelopment of carraway). i only wish the design was a little more inspired (i'm fine with it not being a dome).
Same. Thrilled it's here. But I don't see that design aging well.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Same. Thrilled it's here. But I don't see that design aging well.
Because the design was built with UAB in mind. Instead of making a modern day Legion Field capacity (70K), they had a UAB football quality design in mind. They didn't want to build a huge stadium for the primary tenant (UAB football) that look mostly empty like LF. When they was in the development process of this stadium, they should have did what was best for the city and built the capacity for huge events. That's why MCC won't ever be at the new stadium. Not enough seats or space.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Because the design was built with UAB in mind. Instead of making a modern day Legion Field capacity (70K), they had a UAB football quality design in mind. They didn't want to build a huge stadium for the primary tenant (UAB football) that look mostly empty like LF. When they was in the development process of this stadium, they should have did what was best for the city and built the capacity for huge events. That's why MCC won't ever be at the new stadium. Not enough seats or space.
I'm actually ok with capacity design (given its ability to expand)... speaking more so about aesthetics. A lot of modern amenities were unfortunately value engineered out due to the relatively low budget. But that said, I'm ok with the end product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area