Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 08:45 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times

Advertisements

Every single thing about the building is going to be brand new. They strip the entire facility down to the concrete walls and support structure. Everything you saw before won't be there in the new upgrade. Basically like a new built arena. I don't see how anyone can think this is just a basic upgrade. It's definitely not. They are only getting rid of 200 seats. If I was them, I would keep the inside a surprise until people come to an event there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 10:03 AM

302 posts, read 335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRWAREAGLE View Post
Here's a few from the arch's website:

https://ccrarchitecture.com/work/bjcc-legacy-arena
Good find. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2021, 03:20 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
$125M Legacy Arena renovation expected to be complete in December

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBMA) — The BJCC expects to reopen Legacy Arena in December, after a $125 million renovation project.

BJCC executive director Tad Snider says the arena should feel new when fans return.

“You’ll have brand new seats, double the number of women’s restrooms, more men’s restrooms too, more points of sale, better food and beverage options,” said Snider.

There will also be upgraded seating options, including a row of suites and a club area.

“That’s the club level,” Snider showed us. “You can just stand there. There will be a drink rail, barstools, up against a rale and then seats behind it if you want to stand at a high boy table.”

The renovation project is about 70 percent finished.

The infrastructure work is complete. That included boilers, chillers, electrical work, plumbing, additions of new restrooms and moving concession stands.

Now the focus is on finished materials. Snider says visual progress will move rapidly now.

“Everything that was a finished material before-restrooms and all the seats are replaced,” he said. “Everything goes down to the bare concrete and gets rebuilt. The building needed it after 45 years.”

Snider says his team is monitoring COVID-19 to determine what its impact may be on future events.

“We want to make sure the environment here is safe, that people feel comfortable attending events in the building and that we’re hosting them responsible, so we’ll make sure we stay on top of that,” Snider said.

Dates are already being booked. In addition to concerts, Birmingham's new NBA G-League team is expected to play in the arena in January.

That's a year earlier than originally planned.

Birmingham's NBA G-league team, which has not yet unveiled its new name yet, will begin its season in November. The early games will be played away.

"The plan is to start those games in January and play the better half of the season here in Birmingham and we’re looking forward it," said Snider.

The team plans to play 24 home games this season.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:52 PM

346 posts, read 265,316 times
Wow the G-League starting up in January would be a big surprise. I think people on this forum have talked about it plenty, but I don't think the average Birmingham resident has realized the impact the renovated BJCC complex is going to have on the whole city. Conventions and events are going to go way up. That helps everyone.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:14 AM

401 posts, read 536,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
Wow the G-League starting up in January would be a big surprise. I think people on this forum have talked about it plenty, but I don't think the average Birmingham resident has realized the impact the renovated BJCC complex is going to have on the whole city. Conventions and events are going to go way up. That helps everyone.
Most assuredly. Of the Protective Stadium / BJCC Reno project, the BJCC is the prize.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:53 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post

There are always the boneheads. It's never a bad idea to keep your spaces like this up to date. Just the lodging taxes alone pay for it.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:23 AM

1,017 posts, read 639,673 times
That's pretty cool. The fact that Snider said they were taking it down to the slab to redo it ia very reassuring considering it's 70's fall out shelter decor. Can't way to see it.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
https://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/bi...ena-basketball

Old 06-02-2021, 08:23 AM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
I just wish we could see some interior renderings.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:50 PM

162 posts, read 180,177 times
Will it have lighted signage saying Legacy Arena?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area