Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 11:21 AM

662 posts, read 500,437 times

Advertisements

No one ever said white flight was a good thing. Who said that? I'm just saying it's not a recent thing. No one is surprised by it. We all know it happened but appears to have stopped by now. I'm far from a Bham apologist, I call it like it is.

Again, I think most of us agree with you so I'm not sure why you're going off on such a diatribe. White flight was and is bad for Birmingham. Likewise, Birmingham proper is far from diverse and that's a turn off to anyone thinking of moving to the city. Did you not read my other posts? However, it's also true that, as a whole metro, the % racial make up has not changed much at all in 50 years. Racial make-up has only shifted around for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 01:14 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,942,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyShekelman View Post
No city is congruent to the MSA, and vice versa.
That's a bald-faced lie. All cities in an MSA are congruent to each other, that's why they are in an MSA. How can YOU be so stupid to not understand that?

As far as the facts, you're both right. Whites are leaving B'ham, so you're right. Whites are also not really leaving the MSA, so steveklein is right.

Stop ranting and raving and trying to make this about people denying white flight. Nobody does that.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 AM

66 posts, read 77,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
That's a bald-faced lie. All cities in an MSA are congruent to each other, that's why they are in an MSA. How can YOU be so stupid to not understand that?

As far as the facts, you're both right. Whites are leaving B'ham, so you're right. Whites are also not really leaving the MSA, so steveklein is right.

Stop ranting and raving and trying to make this about people denying white flight. Nobody does that.

Perhaps you aren't familiar with the basic geometrical term "congruent" ?

The geometric term "congruent is defined essentially as basically meaning "equal"? Anyway it comes from Latin congruere, "to agree". So the "geometric shapes "agree".

In geometric analysis, shapes need to be the SAME SIZE in order to be "congruent". Additionally, please know that "angles" are congruent when they are the same size (in degrees or radians). "Sides" are congruent when they are the same length.

Generally speaking, in additional parlance, "congruent" means "in agreement or harmony".

I stated that the city (Birmingham) is not "congruent" to the MSA....Meaning it's not "equal" to the total MSA, and not in "agreement" with the rest of the MSA.

You stated curiously that "ALL cities in an MSA are congruent to each other...."

That is demonstrably false given the definition of "congruent". For instance, Mountain Brook as a city is not in "agreement" with every other city, or even Birmingham , the city....or even Homewood..

To assert "All cities in an MSA are congruent...that's WHY they are in an MSA" reflects a total misunderstanding of the word "congruent".

Accusing and labeling me as "stupid" is misplaced and very very unnecessary and "uncivil" it seems to me.

Yes, I stated "No city is congruent to the MSA, and vice versa."

Thank you.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:33 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,942,145 times
Quote:
Perhaps you aren't familiar with the basic geometrical term "congruent" ?

The geometric term "congruent is defined essentially as basically meaning "equal"? Anyway it comes from Latin congruere, "to agree". So the "geometric shapes "agree".

In geometric analysis, shapes need to be the SAME SIZE in order to be "congruent". Additionally, please know that "angles" are congruent when they are the same size (in degrees or radians). "Sides" are congruent when they are the same length.

Generally speaking, in additional parlance, "congruent" means "in agreement or harmony".

I stated that the city (Birmingham) is not "congruent" to the MSA....Meaning it's not "equal" to the total MSA, and not in "agreement" with the rest of the MSA.

You stated curiously that "ALL cities in an MSA are congruent to each other...."

That is demonstrably false given the definition of "congruent". For instance, Mountain Brook as a city is not in "agreement" with every other city, or even Birmingham , the city....or even Homewood..

To assert "All cities in an MSA are congruent...that's WHY they are in an MSA" reflects a total misunderstanding of the word "congruent".

Accusing and labeling me as "stupid" is misplaced and very very unnecessary and "uncivil" it seems to me.

Yes, I stated "No city is congruent to the MSA, and vice versa."

Thank you.
You are obviously here to argue and cause problems, so knock yourself out.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:09 PM

No, i'm not here to argue, I'm just like you: to express an OPINION.

Telling the truth should never ever be relegated or be interpreted as causing "problems". Truth should never be annoying to you or anyone else.

I took the time and interest to dispel your glaringly specious claim and assertion by explaining the language and definitions that I used......which obviously escaped you then, your lack of understanding simply annoyed you, which is unfortunate.

I will continue to attempt precision is my own expressed, legitimate posts. You are free to ignore them if you wish.

By the way, calling me "stupid" is a personal attack, but reveals more about you than me. (Based on your uniformed retort in re "congruent")

Thank you.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:58 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,181,928 times
Quote:
By the way, calling me "stupid" is a personal attack, but reveals more about you than me. (Based on your uniformed retort in re "congruent")
um... in post #17 of this thread, you literally said:

Quote:
How can you people be so stupid?

Old 01-28-2021, 01:10 PM

662 posts, read 500,437 times
Quote:
No, i'm not here to argue, I'm just like you: to express an OPINION.

Telling the truth should never ever be relegated or be interpreted as causing "problems". Truth should never be annoying to you or anyone else.

I took the time and interest to dispel your glaringly specious claim and assertion by explaining the language and definitions that I used......which obviously escaped you then, your lack of understanding simply annoyed you, which is unfortunate.

I will continue to attempt precision is my own expressed, legitimate posts. You are free to ignore them if you wish.

Thank you.
I'm still confused as to what you/we disagree on. Let's not get marred down in the definition of a word. You know what he meant by "congruent" my gawd.

What is the basic point you're wanting to make without personal attacks.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:42 PM

@TimCity, only

Yes, I DID say "you people"....by definition, using a PLURAL noun/reference was NOT a "personal attack" which should not done here on CD....again, there is NOTHING "personal" about writing "you PEOPLE" in that it was not directed to a "person/poster" ! it was obviously directed to a general "audience", NOT a personal attack on a particular poster at ALL....

Wow....no rational, literate reader would equate my statement with a PERSONAL, (MEANING INDIVIDUAL) ATTACK

Personal MEANS "personal", personal is NEVER the "collective".

Oh my my.

Thank you.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I'm still confused as to what you/we disagree on. Let's not get marred down in the definition of a word. You know what he meant by "congruent" my gawd.

What is the basic point you're wanting to make without personal attacks.
what

What? HOW would I possible KNOW what another "meant"? when they obviously don't know the meaning of the word before making a feeble, boneheaded personal attack?

I know what posters WRITE and express, (hopefully clearly), I have no way of knowing even their intent, but I CAN read and know language ignorance when I read it, but all of us make mistakes, but the smart thing to do is correct your language ignorance and not persist and stand by it.

Your attempt to "shift" the blame on me is also telling. To proclaim what I "know" what another poster "meant" seems to make you part of a difficult exchange in dealing with facts and truth.

NEVER proclaim what someone else "knew", you have no license to do so, It makes you look a bit bias and silly, frankly.

Thank you.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:32 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,726,396 times
Bro, the whole reason this started is because you appeared to say that the MSA was leaking white people. You've shown no evidence to bolster this assertion. Probably because no evidence exists.

You can talk about 60 year old topics like white flight if you want. But that's like saying the grass is green and me retorting with "No, the sky is blue". Total strawman. Just because white people left Birmingham city proper does not mean the Birmingham metro area is leaking white people.

All of your diatribes since either stem from this incorrect assertion (that whites are leaking from the MSA), or are not being disputed (that the city proper is more black now than it was 60 years ago, has different political leanings, or is labeled as "diverse" when it really isn't so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area