Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 07:20 PM

666 posts, read 515,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Eh, I disagree with this. Tons of new homes have been built in the last 15 years down thatway. While neighborhoods like Greystone, Eagle Point, Mount Laurel and Highland Lakes were established a long time ago, new construction continues to this day in each of those communities. There are also other newer communities (not as large) such as Brock's Point, Dunavant Place, and others off of highways 41 and 43. Not to mention Chelsea.

Even closer in but not right off of 280 you will find quite a few homes within the last 10 years off of Caldwell Mill Rd, Valleydale Rd, and Highway 119. In many cases, these are being built where terrain was not very friendly to build on when land was so cheap but as lots have gotten smaller and the price per acre has soared within a 20-30 minute drive of downtown, building on those once unforgiving lots now makes sense. The rising cost of land is also why so many older homes in places like Homewood and Bluff Park that are on decent sized lots are getting significant renovations.
I agree there are some new homes, but I wouldn't call it a boom by any means. I'm looking more at the retail environment. 280 boomed a while back.. Lloyds was the only thing on the 2 lane road. Then the explosion happened, since then, nothing too special.

It boomed and sometime around 2000 it's crept along. Brook Highland still struggles. Lee Branch - another struggle. One decently nice restaurant (Chucks).

The development that would have made me not post this was Tattersall Park. It had big dreams but turned out to be another flop. Tattersall does nothing for the prestige of the area.

So, I fail to see anything of significance happening down 280 over the last 20-30 years other than some decent houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 06:15 AM

41 posts, read 27,808 times
Birmingham is a city full of History, Industry and civil rights.
I read several positives projects were taking roots before Covid ...
I just to adress one thought about a poster who was angry about the fact that Birmingham city, Al lost many "non-blacks", Now Birmingham is 73% Black, where is the diversité? And, hello, they're demo(n)carats, yadidada ...
Sometimes People vote with their feet !
I have one question
"Was Alabama more diverse in 1900 with 45% blacks, and a democratic controlled state, or in 1990 with 25% blacks and a republican controlled one ?"
Have a Laugh !

I want cities like Birmingham, Montgomery to thrive not to die. If the current is good => support him, if he's bad => dire him ! Simple as that. The beauty of democracy is to convince more citizens than your opponent.
Chill it's only a conversation

Old 02-22-2021, 06:32 AM

36 posts, read 42,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsheikh971 View Post
Birmingham is a city full of History, Industry and civil rights.
I read several positives projects were taking roots before Covid ...
I just to adress one thought about a poster who was angry about the fact that Birmingham city, Al lost many "non-blacks", Now Birmingham is 73% Black, where is the diversité? And, hello, they're demo(n)carats, yadidada ...
Sometimes People vote with their feet !
I have one question
"Was Alabama more diverse in 1900 with 45% blacks, and a democratic controlled state, or in 1990 with 25% blacks and a republican controlled one ?"
Have a Laugh !

I want cities like Birmingham, Montgomery to thrive not to die. If the current is good => support him, if he's bad => dire him ! Simple as that. The beauty of democracy is to convince more citizens than your opponent.
Chill it's only a conversation

Interesting point of view. My opinion is that the term 'diversity' has become twisted and a catch-all term used by political leftists. If any city (the CITY) is populated by 73% blacks, there is no diversity (meaning of course racial delineation), if any city is populated with > 73% Democratic Party voters, there is no diversity (meaning political thought/policies). So is Birmingham a diverse city?? well, NO it is no such thing.....if you deem diversity a desirable attribute. No sober person should claim that Birmingham is trying to achieve diversity in these terms, but that's how the leftists intentionally re-define and shift language. Leftists do that all the time if you're paying attention. (Leftists, not liberals).

Look for yourselves about mayoral races and see who's been in, and who are candidates today. If you're awake, you can see exactly what Birmingham has become, and will continue to be for its political future and cultural future.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:01 AM

Is diversity overrated? What if we made Birmingham perfectly diverse. Races and political affiliations in line with national averages. Then, what if we did the same thing to Mountain Brook, Vestavia, and Homewood? Do people want more diversity there? Doubtful.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:28 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
i imagine even the most truly diverse (racially) cities still aren't terribly diverse at the neighborhood level. there are exceptions, of course. if i had to guess, i'd venture that southside / five points is birmingham's most "diverse" area.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:14 PM

43 posts, read 31,274 times
White flight is definitely reversing. South side is basically a white colony at this point and the only black people I see walking around most of the days at 5 points are the homeless or FED ex workers. Ditto for Avondale...young white latte drinking women running around in booty shorts or if it’s cold ugg boots galore.

Definitely some kind of white flight reversal trend.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachadoo92 View Post
White flight is definitely reversing. South side is basically a white colony at this point and the only black people I see walking around most of the days at 5 points are the homeless or FED ex workers. Ditto for Avondale...young white latte drinking women running around in booty shorts or if it’s cold ugg boots galore.

C'mon mods, do your job. That is a "wtf" post right there...

Old 02-28-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachadoo92 View Post

That's been the case for a long time. There have always been great hang out spots around downtown that were predominantly white. 5 points, Bell Bottoms (RIP), Innisfree, Morris Ave, etc etc etc.. But that doesn't mean they live there or are moving there.

Your best argument would be to look at who's renting apartments around Railroad Park, Avondale, and other parts. Who's moving in? I think mostly white which definitely supports your argument that white flight is reversing. The main downfall of that though is that it's single folks, not families. You don't find white families flocking to Bham.

MC, why do you want mods to delete everything you dislike. He's just saying what he sees.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:19 PM

69 posts, read 70,009 times
Well.... this thread went to hell and went off topic quick. Folks shouting at each other. 1). Woodfin is going to get reelected in 2021 and then run for higher office after that. 2) Birmingham proper has become noticeably more white in the last 10 years as the 2020 census will reveal. Aside from the white young singles/couples in Southside, Avondale, Crestwood etc... I actually know of a few who have moved to the Roebuck Springs, East Lake areas. I forgot how nice the houses are out around Woodcrest and Cloverdale in Roebuck until I visited a friend out there. He has a VERY nice home and all his neighbors do as well. Also, some young white singles moving to the Bush Hills area. I'd bet the 2020 census sees white Birminghamian percentage increase by 3-4% which would probably be the first net positive white population change for Birmingham proper since at least 1970. I also think the overall population of Birmingham goes near 215,000.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:04 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
i wish i was as optimistic as some of you when it comes to the 2020 census showing (relatively) significant gains. 2010 census had us at 212,000 and recent estimates indicate that the hemorrhaging has stopped and somewhat flatlined, but i don't know that it's reversed completely yet.

this is definitely an area i would love to be wrong in, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area