Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 03:22 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,798,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Oooh... did any one hear that? Very high pitched almost inaudible and as subtle as a grenade in a punch bowl?

When I'm traveling through rural Alabama, I can almost immediately tell when I'm in meth country. I don't need a fancy FBI listicle to point it out for me. They hardly ever do because they are spread out in broad areas in small municipalities or unicorporated areas so no trendy lists at all, but they are just as dangerous.

It's ironic for someone from elsewhere to talk about "those areas" keeping them from caring or going somewhere and then saying they have one in their town.
Well I wasn't really trying to be all that incognito. It doesn't matter what race you are.....white, black, asian, hispanic or whatever......we all inclusively avoid the black ghetto's unless or course you are black and live in the ghetto. lol

As for the meth heads, yep we all know where they are and they are easy to spot. There will be **** piled in the yard all around the house and old grills and appliances that were picked up off the side of the road torn all to pieces everywhere along with all the stolen lawn mower. However, they are not dangerous. They are opportunists who commit low grade property theft for the most part. Usually at night they wander around and look for things in back yards, open sheds or unlocked garages and cars.

"Those areas" in Huntsville are rather small and the violent crime rate is relatively low. We can drive right through those areas and stop at the gas stations in Huntsville. Usually strike up a conversation while we are there. It is nothing like Birmingham. I will be honest though. If Huntsville starts to devolve into a crime riddled hood at some point, I will limit my time there to pretty much only daytime business like I do a few other cities.

I guess this will devolve into another one of those defending Birmingham and trying to pick statistics apart threads now. It was bound to happen. I tried to stay out of it because I knew there were some watching it lurking in the shadows just waiting for someone else from North Alabama to chime in. I bit my tongue as long as I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 06:20 PM

1,010 posts, read 616,329 times
It doesn’t have to devolve into anything... your contradictory statements handle your hypocrisy quite nicely.

Birmingham has its rough spots like "pretty much anywhere" like you said and smart reasonable people can avoid them and carry out their lives with no issue. People visit here all the time and don't have a problem. So all this "we don't go stuff" is funny because "we" know people from out of town use our airport, visit our restaurants, get the best healthcare in the state, and attend events here. It is a fact not open to discussion. We even see more than a few "47" tags among the visitors. That's cool, nothing out of the ordinary.

But I get it. You don't like our city. You take lame shots at it every chance you get, but it isn't indicative of reality. Regular people that have a shred of common sense can come here and have a good time and manage not to stiff a drug dealer or get in a violent domestic with a local... just like they do when you go to Nashville which also has "those people in those areas." You just choose to ignore it and deal with it for a place you love to talk up. A Huntsville guy talking down Birmingham is nothing new and not particularly interesting or germane to this topic. You can stay home and kick it with the harmless methheads.

Last edited by OldBankhead; 11-02-2022 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-03-2022, 12:54 PM

2,083 posts, read 2,125,871 times
https://birminghamwatch.org/crime-st...an-go-outside/

Old 11-04-2022, 07:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,952,412 times
It's funny. I've lived in both and had my car broken into twice in Huntsville, and also had 2 instances where people were trying to scope out my house and knocked on my door trying to force their way in. Never had a single problem in Birmingham.

I'm just one person, though. And I've also lived in Jackson, MS. To me, when you go 'out' into the world, if you keep your wits about you and good situational awareness, your chances of being a victim of violent crime are low, whether you're in Providence in Huntsville or in East Lake in Birmingham. But when people come up to my door and mess with my house - screw that noise.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:49 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,880,752 times
Folks, in case you haven't been paying attention, the last two years (Wink! Wink!) have seen tremendous rises in CRIME, INFLATION, BORDER CROSSINGS, FENTENAL DEATHS ETC. Everywhere!! If you want more, vote Democrat.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:05 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,002,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
This article explains why the crime and violence in Birmingham is more spread across the city than say…. Huntsville. The Northern section of Huntsville is where most of the (few) murders occur. What’s different is that downtown Huntsville is much safer than say, downtown Birmingham.

Even in broad daylight, you’ll see passed out drug addicts in Birmingham. Was walking to an appointment near the Dentist school and the dentist students were looking at a passed out guy to see if he was breathing. On my way back to the car, he was “awake” and demanded money. Oh but he wasn’t shooting at anyone. No thank you. Clearly the “broken windows” concept isn’t understood in downtown Birmingham. Another appointment in Homewood is a different story. Sure Homewood is nice and walkable but it’s a suburb away from Birmingham.

Whole reason in starting this thread was another section of CD was calling out Birmingham as one of 3 cities with high crime rate and initially found that surprising.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:32 AM

That's weird. Usually the sunlight sends them back into hiding so that honored guests like you don't have to be subjected to seeing them. Are your pearls okay? How hard did you clutch them during this traumatic encounter?

45k+ people came to see Garth Brooks (not Lil Wayne, not Kevin Hart, but GB for those of you "concerned" about "demographics") in downtown Birmingham. None of them got murdered or attacked or anything close to being news worthy. Oh yeah, it let out well after dark too.

Live Nation, a multi billion dollar company, wants to leave Pelham and spend 50M on a new venue in North Birmingham. They have the backing of the state to do so. Now, I wonder why these people don't have access to all this great knowledge some of you provide to know that this just has to be a terrible mistake? Why would these people with means and money do this? Unless...

Last edited by OldBankhead; 11-09-2022 at 04:42 AM..

Old 11-09-2022, 07:16 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,002,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
That's weird. Usually the sunlight sends them back into hiding so that honored guests like you don't have to be subjected to seeing them. Are your pearls okay? How hard did you clutch them during this traumatic encounter?

45k+ people came to see Garth Brooks (not Lil Wayne, not Kevin Hart, but GB for those of you "concerned" about "demographics") in downtown Birmingham. None of them got murdered or attacked or anything close to being news worthy. Oh yeah, it let out well after dark too.

Live Nation, a multi billion dollar company, wants to leave Pelham and spend 50M on a new venue in North Birmingham. They have the backing of the state to do so. Now, I wonder why these people don't have access to all this great knowledge some of you provide to know that this just has to be a terrible mistake? Why would these people with means and money do this? Unless...
GB as you call him, played in B’ham on June 4th. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-2022-1261915/

Surprisingly I know, there was a murder on June 4th.

Full list of all the 130 murders (as of November 8th) with details:
https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_B...icides_in_2022

If you map out these murders, there are spread all over Birmingham from downtown to Bessemer, to the Far East side, strange.

June 4th:
Rayshod Goldthwaite, 18, was found shot to death behind the wheel of a car that crashed into Dinkey's Auto Collision Center at 608 2nd Avenue North in Smithfield. Martez Willearl Jefferson, already jailed in another shooting, was charged with capital murder. Dinkey’s is now closed. GB was playing at the stadium less than 3 miles from Dinkey’s. https://www.al.com/news/2022/11/19-y...-shooting.html

Last edited by johnsonkk; 11-09-2022 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-09-2022, 07:33 PM

Unrelated crime happening elsewhere is unrelated. There will be violent crime in America in major cities. It will not stop people from visiting this city or enjoying living here no matter how hard people like you try to paint the picture otherwise. Three miles might as well have been 30 miles or 300. No one at the concert was affected or cared that it happened. Nor has it stopped Protective from booking events or people coming to the BjCC or Uptown or made LiveNation change their plans for an amphitheater.

Cool that you know how to Google though. Real impressive feat. Maybe have a point to go along with it next time and you'll be elite.

Last edited by OldBankhead; 11-09-2022 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-09-2022, 08:19 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,194,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
GB as you call him, played in B’ham on June 4th. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-2022-1261915/

Surprisingly I know, there was a murder on June 4th.

Full list of all the 130 murders (as of November 8th) with details:
https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_B...icides_in_2022

If you map out these murders, there are spread all over Birmingham from downtown to Bessemer, to the Far East side, strange.

June 4th:
Rayshod Goldthwaite, 18, was found shot to death behind the wheel of a car that crashed into Dinkey's Auto Collision Center at 608 2nd Avenue North in Smithfield. Martez Willearl Jefferson, already jailed in another shooting, was charged with capital murder. Dinkey’s is now closed. GB was playing at the stadium less than 3 miles from Dinkey’s. https://www.al.com/news/2022/11/19-y...-shooting.html
3 miles?? So basically the equivalent of a murder occurring near UAH on the same day as a concert at the Von Braun Center. Would that stop you from going to downtown Huntsville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area