Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 11:12 AM

72,833 posts, read 62,209,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Yes, concealed slash open carry, my mistake.

Montreal's homicide count stands at 41 on New Year's eve, and for a population of 2,1 million. It's safe to say people here want to lower the death toll, and make it more difficult for the regular joes to make awful mistakes and turn into bad guys, as often happens.

That more guns come in illegally from the states is an obvious outcome, as it already is a problem, however, this results in aggravated circumstances and additional charges for the perpetrators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Grammatically, it’s concealed carry or open carry. Concealed open carry is ?!?

Alabama legislators recognized that bad guys don’t seek compliance with any laws, let alone gun laws. This law was signed back in July but to little fanfare. But the good news is that up north, all firearms are banned (in Montreal) so no need to worry about what, when or even how to carry.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...nada-1.4792398

Being able to own a gun isn't the biggest issue. You could ban guns in Birmingham and the murder rate would still be high. There is a subculture of violence that has permeated that city for over a century. Birmingham recorded 141 murders in 2022 (for a population of 197,000 people). Birmingham had 148 murders in 1933, while having a population of 259,000 people. Birmingham recorded 133 murders in 1913. Birmingham has had a violence problem for well over a century. Many individuals who committed murdered weren't just using guns. Murders were being committed with knives, and even dynamite.

For more on this, please read: https://www.al.com/news/2022/11/its-...irmingham.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 11:41 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,084,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Being able to own a gun isn't the biggest issue. You could ban guns in Birmingham and the murder rate would still be high. There is a subculture of violence that has permeated that city for over a century. Birmingham recorded 141 murders in 2022 (for a population of 197,000 people). Birmingham had 148 murders in 1933, while having a population of 259,000 people. Birmingham recorded 133 murders in 1913. Birmingham has had a violence problem for well over a century. Many individuals who committed murdered weren't just using guns. Murders were being committed with knives, and even dynamite.

For more on this, please read: https://www.al.com/news/2022/11/its-...irmingham.html

Definitely an acculturation to murder. I suppose it was deemed normal to settle accounts for the smallest grievance early on and continues to be the case. Short fuses, and low threshholds…

So, a change in culture, values is the way to go…

Old 01-02-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Definitely an acculturation to murder. I suppose it was deemed normal to settle accounts for the smallest grievance early on and continues to be the case. Short fuses, and low threshholds…

So, a change in culture, values is the way to go…
Exactly. Birmingham's murder rate won't drop until the culture changes. Not even prison or the death penalty seems to be much of a deterrent. Short fuses, a low threshold, and some individuals who have deep levels of anger. Not only that, a belief among some that violence is the only way to solve even low-level disputes. Until that changes, nothing will. I also think that among some individuals, there is this feeling of resignation (not so much apathy) that "we might die an early death anyway".

I'll also mention this. I drove through Birmingham a few days ago. Some of the scariest traffic I've ever seen. It felt like Mad Max. I can only describe the traffic around I-20 and I-65 as basically "violent". I wondered if the high violent crime rate and the mad max traffic might be connected.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Birmingham's murder rate won't drop until the culture changes. Not even prison or the death penalty seems to be much of a deterrent. Short fuses, a low threshold, and some individuals who have deep levels of anger. Not only that, a belief among some that violence is the only way to solve even low-level disputes. Until that changes, nothing will. I also think that among some individuals, there is this feeling of resignation (not so much apathy) that "we might die an early death anyway".

I'll also mention this. I drove through Birmingham a few days ago. Some of the scariest traffic I've ever seen. It felt like Mad Max. I can only describe the traffic around I-20 and I-65 as basically "violent". I wondered if the high violent crime rate and the mad max traffic might be connected.

I guess that describes a sort of preparedness for a war zone, a mentality that subsists on death and battle scars.

Old 01-02-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I guess that describes a sort of preparedness for a war zone, a mentality that subsists on death and battle scars.
I've noticed that places where social trust is low, there is this "battle ready" mentality going on. I remember one afternoon commuting by bus in Atlanta. I was headed to go back to the suburbs. Being a nerd and a white collar professional, my way of dealing was a bit different. I briefly had a conversation with another passenger, who was talking about women. He was really "hood". I spoke to him for a few moments. Soon after his tone turned scary. He was "where are you from, what are you doing",etc. It was like he looked at me as some kind of threat. Never mind I was dressed like someone who worked in an office. Looking back, it was apparent he didn't, or rather, he didn't trust anyone who wasn't from his environment. He sounded like he was ready to fight. I got off the bus quickly, trying to avoid a fight.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:16 PM

12,705 posts, read 9,206,510 times
Quote:
I've noticed that places where social trust is low, there is this "battle ready" mentality going on. I remember one afternoon commuting by bus in Atlanta. I was headed to go back to the suburbs. Being a nerd and a white collar professional, my way of dealing was a bit different. I briefly had a conversation with another passenger, who was talking about women. He was really "hood". I spoke to him for a few moments. Soon after his tone turned scary. He was "where are you from, what are you doing",etc. It was like he looked at me as some kind of threat. Never mind I was dressed like someone who worked in an office. Looking back, it was apparent he didn't, or rather, he didn't trust anyone who wasn't from his environment. He sounded like he was ready to fight. I got off the bus quickly, trying to avoid a fight.
Scary. Maybe Huntsville and similar shouldn't push so hard for mass transit. It's necessary in densely packed cities but maybe not in places that are largely suburban.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:25 PM

1,010 posts, read 616,329 times
Quote:
Well, if you don't at least have 2" plate body armor, a 50 cal, and a smoke generator you best just not come any further than Gardendale from the north or Moody from the east.

I prefer my flame shooting guitar and my crew of pole vaulters as my choice of pro active protection, but that's just me. You do you in your laughable display of ridiculousness.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Well, if you don't at least have 2" plate body armor, a 50 cal, and a smoke generator you best just not come any further than Gardendale from the north or Moody from the east.

I prefer my flame shooting guitar and my crew of pole vaulters as my choice of pro active protection, but that's just me. You do you in your laughable display of ridiculousness.
How would you describe a bunch of drivers doing 90 mph across 3 lanes? Or getting aggressively cut off? Or the high amount of aggressive and reckless driving in general?

Old 01-02-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Scary. Maybe Huntsville and similar shouldn't push so hard for mass transit. It's necessary in densely packed cities but maybe not in places that are largely suburban.
Actually, one of my biggest pet peeves regarding Huntsville is the unreliable public transportation. Having to drive everywhere is a pain.

As far as crime goes, I've been a victim of violent crime, in suburban areas. I got jumped/robbed in a suburban area. The thugs who did it were not on any bus. They were in a beat up car.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Yes. People who grow up on the wrong side of the tracks learn pretty fast that they don’t belong on the good side, and that outsiders don’t belong on theirs either. Pack leaders of street gangs exploit this sense of boundaries which leads to a sense of entrapment and hopelessness.
This sort of cultural trait acts as a depressor, like alcohol, and it conditions every aspect of one’s life.

I hope a smaller city like Birmingham can achieve some of what bigger cities like LA and NY have been able to in curbing the murder rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area