Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2022, 08:02 AM

137 posts, read 100,929 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved here from Ohio a few weeks ago for his new job. Our intent was to close on our new home next Wednesday but that's been delayed due to needing a roof replaced on our old house (delaying the closings).

Right now we're staying in an airbnb in a not great neighborhood which is also way too expensive. We've been trying to a short term lease (3 months) but we're having no luck. I'm home alone all day and need to be in an area where I feel safe walking the dogs and closer to Grandview Hospital for some weekly treatments I'm getting.

The problem is that every apartment complex we find advertises a reasonable (for us) price for rent, but when we go to see it, they add on fees totaling more than $200 (trash valet, "upgraded" units that we don't want or request, short term rental fee, application fee per person, administration fee, dog fee, dog rent, etc) which makes it far too expensive considering we still have to pay our mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc at our house in Ohio until it closes.

Does anyone know where we could connect with property owners who would be willing to do a short term rental to two non-smoking middle aged professionals with excellent credit, we have no criminal or civil histories, references if needed & two well behaved housebroken golden retrievers (I'm with them all day as well)? We are quiet, very respectful of others and our current airbnb host can vouch that we've taken excellent care of his property over the past few weeks. And we do pick up after our dogs. We just want a nice, clean place to stay without all the up selling & ridiculous fees.

Areas: Pinson, Trussville, Cahaba, Vestavia Hills, Mtn Brook - essentially the suburbs or even a bit of a way out of town.

We're also in a time crunch because we have to be out of our current place by 11/29/22 (the delayed closing was a sudden & unexpected wrinkle).

We would be so grateful for any suggestions or leads on who to contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 08:06 AM

864 posts, read 587,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnSmithJones View Post
My husband and I just moved here from Ohio a few weeks ago for his new job. Our intent was to close on our new home next Wednesday but that's been delayed due to needing a roof replaced on our old house (delaying the closings).

Right now we're staying in an airbnb in a not great neighborhood which is also way too expensive. We've been trying to a short term lease (3 months) but we're having no luck. I'm home alone all day and need to be in an area where I feel safe walking the dogs and closer to Grandview Hospital for some weekly treatments I'm getting.

The problem is that every apartment complex we find advertises a reasonable (for us) price for rent, but when we go to see it, they add on fees totaling more than $200 (trash valet, "upgraded" units that we don't want or request, short term rental fee, application fee per person, administration fee, dog fee, dog rent, etc) which makes it far too expensive considering we still have to pay our mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc at our house in Ohio until it closes.

Does anyone know where we could connect with property owners who would be willing to do a short term rental to two non-smoking middle aged professionals with excellent credit, we have no criminal or civil histories, references if needed & two well behaved housebroken golden retrievers (I'm with them all day as well)? We are quiet, very respectful of others and our current airbnb host can vouch that we've taken excellent care of his property over the past few weeks. And we do pick up after our dogs. We just want a nice, clean place to stay without all the up selling & ridiculous fees.

Areas: Pinson, Trussville, Cahaba, Vestavia Hills, Mtn Brook - essentially the suburbs or even a bit of a way out of town.

We're also in a time crunch because we have to be out of our current place by 11/29/22 (the delayed closing was a sudden & unexpected wrinkle).

We would be so grateful for any suggestions or leads on who to contact.

That just not a thing, I'm doubtful you would find a short term rental anywhere that doesn't do fees

Old 11-26-2022, 08:20 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
You are not likely to find a short term retal without the associated fees. Maybe an extended stay may work for you. If memory does not fail me hotel tax does not apply for long term which starts at 31 days. Does your husband's employer work with corporate housing options?

Old 11-27-2022, 05:27 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Your best bet is to either go the corporate housing/extended stay route... or contact individual AirBNB operators/landlords and ask them about a special price for a 60 day, or 90 day commitment, or however long you end up wanting.

When I rented a spare bedroom out of my house on Airbnb, I charged $70/night but I dropped it closer to $40/night for longer term stays.

I doubt you will find a more traditional apartment that will rent to you for 3 months without quite a bit of fees.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:35 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Try furnished finder. They list what you need which is a mid term rental. A lot of traveling nurses and pros use this as well as digital nomads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: