Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 AM
agt agt started this thread

2 posts, read 20,307 times

Advertisements

I kind of have 2 threads....We are moving back to Birmingham after living in Georgia for 15 years. Although we both grew up here, it's changed a lot. So feel like newcomers in our home search. We're looking at homes in Greystone Farms and haven't been able to find much out about the community (there's plenty of homes for sale) but wondered if it is a friendly/involved community. We have 3 kids and definitely want a good environment for them as well as a nice home. We moved from an Atlanta suburb that was a wonderful small close-knit community and would love to find the same here.

Any input would be great about Greystone Farms which brings me to my 2nd thread - I've noticed there are A LOT of homes for sale in that neighborhood and wondered if there are any "problems" or "issues" that someone new coming in would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
The Farms consists of several very diverse neighborhoods ranging from starter homes to 500k. Particularly the smaller homes have a rather quick turnaround - location!

What do you want to know about The Farms?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 AM

350 posts, read 1,312,410 times
Only problem with Greystone is there were A LOT of homeowners that were over leveraged and it finally caught up with them

You can now get some great deal in Greystone.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 13,167 times
Default Greystone Farms

Hi there - Although I live in Maryland, my parents live in Greystone Farms and we visit frequently. We have two small children and we live in an older, well established and close knit community in the suburbs of D.C. We frequently consider moving to the Birmingham area, so I've thought about this a lot. For starters, Greystone Farms does not have any sidewalks and all the front doors are set back from the street. My parents are really outgoing friendly people and they only know a couple neighbors. Also, there's no neighborhood listserv or anything to try and build community. Also, it's a 3 mile drive from the middle of Greystone Farms to get down the mountain to the nearest stoplight, so it's tough to "just run out" to the store. Oh, and the traffic is bad. I think it just says a lot about a community whether they have sidewalks or not - and it says a lot about the people that choose to live there. Oh, and people speed horrifically on the streets. I won't let my daughters play in the front yard. I do still consider moving to Birmingham, but we'll pay the same amount of money for a smaller house in an older neighborhood closer to actual Birmingham.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 AM

Pardon me. Are you confused about this neighborhood? All of Greystone Farms has sidewalks, small sitting area type gardens to chat with neighbors, an 11 acre maintained/stocked lake with walking trail and bridges, pool, the Farmhouse which cannot only be rented for a nominal fee for private parties but which also hosts a number of community affairs throughout the year from kids fishing tournaments, Christmas Parties, weekly get togethers of several groups of residents. Head scratch - I just checked the front door. It opens towards grey pavement aka street. 25mph is the speed limit. None of my neighbors have an issue with kids playing in the front yards or on the street.

It is two miles from the front gate to WallMart. Shopping list? Having husband call when he is on 280 on his way home? Most of my neighbors call when they are going grocery shopping to ask if I need something. Vice versa.

I do not know about your partents' situation. Our neighbors are a crazy mix of great people. You can hang out at the mailbox with a glas of wine and may get a refill plus the local gossip and a sunburn. The last impromptu get together had a headcount of about 35 on a Friday night. The menu was a bit interesting.

Let me know next time you are in BHam.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
agt agt started this thread

2 posts, read 20,307 times
Thanks for the input Mama2-4. We looked at some of the older homes in other areas, which we love, but don't want the maintenance of an older home - our last two homes were older and we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it again. It's not the price that matters so much as the community. We had great neighbors at our last neighborhood - we were very lucky and hope to find that again. I feel that amenities such as pools and sidewalks do seem to help community interaction. I have not been able to find a website for the neighborhood with a list of events or anything like that which concerns me a little - is there one - if so, what's the address? Continue with the information, it's been helpful.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agt View Post
Thanks for the input Mama2-4. We looked at some of the older homes in other areas, which we love, but don't want the maintenance of an older home - our last two homes were older and we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it again. It's not the price that matters so much as the community. We had great neighbors at our last neighborhood - we were very lucky and hope to find that again. I feel that amenities such as pools and sidewalks do seem to help community interaction. I have not been able to find a website for the neighborhood with a list of events or anything like that which concerns me a little - is there one - if so, what's the address? Continue with the information, it's been helpful.

Greystone is a HUGE development and I personally think that each neighborhood has it's own kind of feel. Like, on the street my parents on, you can't actually walk over to the neighbors house as they are all set back from the street a great deal.

As far as pools and community interaction, a lot of the people I know in Greystone have their own pools because the Greystone Country Club is a private club and not everyone is a member there.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

160 posts, read 290,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-2-4 View Post
Hi there - Although I live in Maryland, my parents live in Greystone Farms and we visit frequently. We have two small children and we live in an older, well established and close knit community in the suburbs of D.C. We frequently consider moving to the Birmingham area, so I've thought about this a lot. For starters, Greystone Farms does not have any sidewalks and all the front doors are set back from the street. My parents are really outgoing friendly people and they only know a couple neighbors. Also, there's no neighborhood listserv or anything to try and build community. Also, it's a 3 mile drive from the middle of Greystone Farms to get down the mountain to the nearest stoplight, so it's tough to "just run out" to the store. Oh, and the traffic is bad. I think it just says a lot about a community whether they have sidewalks or not - and it says a lot about the people that choose to live there. Oh, and people speed horrifically on the streets. I won't let my daughters play in the front yard. I do still consider moving to Birmingham, but we'll pay the same amount of money for a smaller house in an older neighborhood closer to actual Birmingham.
Not exactly sure what you observed, but your analysis could not be further from the truth. Is 3 miles such a cumbersome distance? Stay in D.C. with the incessant traffic noise in exchange for the luxury of being 2 miles closer to the stores.

You have the nerve to pass judgment on those of us that actually live here because "not having sidewalks says a lot about those that live there?" Keep your "holier than thou" attitude in D.C. Please, enlighten us with your rationale as to how sidewalks (or lack thereof) are a reflection of the people that live in a particular neighborhood. What an incredibly ignorant statement.

As for community unity, there may not be a plethora of planned events, but there definitely is a strong bond, and it revolves entirely around the children. We moved into the Milners Crescent subdivision a year ago, and we were totally blown away by Halloween. Each cul-de-sac had mini bonfires and potluck dinners made by all the neighbors, and there were hundreds of kids (and parents) just walking the streets socializing.

As for not allowing kids to go in the front yard, I have no earthly idea why that would be; you must be one of those overprotective parents, which I guess is needed in D.C. My 3 kids leave the house in the morning, come back at lunch, then go back out again, just like when I was a kid growing up in NY. I guess "speeding" is a relative term.

Now to the original poster; the Milners Crescent subdivision is one of the best neighborhoods to be in. Greystone Farms is a gated community, with a huge lake that kids can fish in, and is in the Spain Park School district of Hoover, which is awesome. The teachers at Greystone Elementary really, really care about the kids. My 4th grade son's teacher sent each kid in her class last year a post card from Europe while on vacation this summer.

As for the number of houses for sale; no reason for concern, simply due to market issues. I would recommend you keep looking at houses here, and I guarantee you will be pleased.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 AM

As for the comment about being over leveraged. In my section of The Farms every house on the market is due to marriage, pregnancy or job related moves.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
There's only one house in my parents section of Greystone that is for sale and it's an anomaly as it's listed at about 5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area