Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:16 PM

56 posts, read 119,768 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was hoping some of you could help me out. My wife and I are planning on moving to Brook Highlands in Birmingham. I have a friend that moved there last year, and he is happy he moved there. Although he still is getting adjusted to everything (culture, lifestyle, location ect), as we are both from Rhode Island (a very small state).

I'm a little worried about the crime stats that i've read about. Although it seems that in Birmingham the community is more "segregated". It just seems that most black people live in certain parts of the city, while most white people live in other parts (am I wrong)?

Like in RI, most of the violent crime is perpetrated in the inner city of Providence, and most of the perpetrators are of minorities. Would it be accurate to say the same for the Birmingham area?

When I visited Alabama (for 2 months), I went to Gardendale, Dodge City, Warrior, and Brook Highlands, Cullman, Centerpoint, and also some of the "rougher areas" along 31. Overral my experience in Alabama was positive, so i'm not too worried.

Bottom line, I want to make sure my wife is going to be safe. She can't drive currently (she's an immigrant from Australia) and will be using public transport at times. So could anyone please give me some honest opinions? Also I hope I haven't offended anyone, but i'm just trying to be honest.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel*Faith View Post
Hi, I was hoping some of you could help me out. My wife and I are planning on moving to Brook Highlands in Birmingham. I have a friend that moved there last year, and he is happy he moved there. Although he still is getting adjusted to everything (culture, lifestyle, location ect), as we are both from Rhode Island (a very small state).

I'm a little worried about the crime stats that i've read about. Although it seems that in Birmingham the community is more "segregated". It just seems that most black people live in certain parts of the city, while most white people live in other parts (am I wrong)?

Like in RI, most of the violent crime is perpetrated in the inner city of Providence, and most of the perpetrators are of minorities. Would it be accurate to say the same for the Birmingham area?

When I visited Alabama (for 2 months), I went to Gardendale, Dodge City, Warrior, and Brook Highlands, Cullman, Centerpoint, and also some of the "rougher areas" along 31. Overral my experience in Alabama was positive, so i'm not too worried.

Bottom line, I want to make sure my wife is going to be safe. She can't drive currently (she's an immigrant from Australia) and will be using public transport at times. So could anyone please give me some honest opinions? Also I hope I haven't offended anyone, but i'm just trying to be honest.

Thanks!
Are you talking about Brook Highlands, the subdivision down Highway 280? Or a different place with the same name? If I'm thinking about the same place, that's about as safe as mother's milk--as long as it's a house and not an apartment.

All that being said, good luck with the public transportation. I don't mean to be flip about matters, but she's going to have to learn to drive to get around. It's just not very good in Birmingham. Oh, that I could tell you otherwise.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM

I'm moving to Brook Highlands near 280. Although it is going to be at an apartment complex that i've visited.

Yea i'm worried about the public transportation. We've done some research, and there is a bus line near where we want to move. I'm just surprised the public transport isn't better, considering it's a big city.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I'm moving to Brook Highlands near 280. Although it is going to be at an apartment complex that i've visited.

Yea i'm worried about the public transportation. We've done some research, and there is a bus line near where we want to move. I'm just surprised the public transport isn't better, considering it's a big city.
I'm afraid it's a complicated matter.

Before you rent there, really look at the caliber of people living in the complex. There was a serious gangland killing in an apartment complex in that area, basically Latinos killing one another over drug territory. It's very strange that it happened there, too, because the rest of that area is whitebread suburbia. Maybe it was an isolated incident.

Overall, Birmingham's a pretty great place to live. But I don't want to sugar coat it for you either. Personally, if she doesn't drive, I would feel better with an apartment in the Forest Park section of town or Highland Avenue near Rushton Park. A very safe area, and much more convenient for people who walk or bike to get to the grocery store, etc. Brook Highlands is out in the burbs, which just isn't a pedestrian friendly area.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM

Yea the murder was at Cahaba heights I believe, which is only down the road from Brook Highlands. My friend lives at The meadows of Brook Highlands, and has nothing but good to say about it, although he wasn't sure what it would be like to rely on the public transport.

This is the only issue that is preventing me from making a final decision. I was assuming that such a large, and nice city would have a good public transport service. I'm going to look at those areas you mentioned online, I imagine the rent prices are similar to the Brook Highlands area?

Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: I'm not finding Forest Park in Birmingham? Is it near Rushton park?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yea the murder was at Cahaba heights I believe, which is only down the road from Brook Highlands. My friend lives at The meadows of Brook Highlands, and has nothing but good to say about it, although he wasn't sure what it would be like to rely on the public transport.

This is the only issue that is preventing me from making a final decision. I was assuming that such a large, and nice city would have a good public transport service. I'm going to look at those areas you mentioned online, I imagine the rent prices are similar to the Brook Highlands area?

Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: I'm not finding Forest Park in Birmingham? Is it near Rushton park?
Yes. It's the area of Birmingham near Rushton Park along Clairmont Avenue. That and the area around Highland Avenue has a lot to recommend it, and is pretty safe--as long as you exercise common sense.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 PM

24 posts, read 164,795 times
The public transportation to the 'burbs is not for the average person getting around, mainly for people getting from the city who work for people/businesses over the mountain (what we locals call the area of town you are referring to). It really only runs during the day and not much on the weekends. The lack of public transportation has nothing to do with B'ham being a big city, but more with the way the city grew. I have lived in various parts of Birmingham all of my life (more than 30 years) and I have never once taken a city bus or have known someone who has regularly used it. Also, to add to something else in your post, the city is somewhat segregated, but it is mainly based on economics, not race (although race and economics do somewhat go hand in hand), so don't be surprised if you have middle -class minority neighbors.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Taking into consideration of what you have said, my wife and I looked at the areas you mentioned. We also looked at some areas close to the ones you mentioned.

What do you think of the Southside/ Five Points South area of Birmingham? It seems like a really nice, and convenient place to live. My wife is also a skilled culinary chef and there is some very nice restaurants in this area she could work at. She also discovered that there are a lot of bus lines that run through the Southside area.

Any feedback concerning this area? Thanks.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Taking into consideration of what you have said, my wife and I looked at the areas you mentioned. We also looked at some areas close to the ones you mentioned.

What do you think of the Southside/ Five Points South area of Birmingham? It seems like a really nice, and convenient place to live. My wife is also a skilled culinary chef and there is some very nice restaurants in this area she could work at. She also discovered that there are a lot of bus lines that run through the Southside area.

Any feedback concerning this area? Thanks.
My wife and I lived in that area for 15 years, raised three kids, and never had a bit of trouble. We only moved to Mountain Brook when private schools were becoming too steep.

It's really a beautiful part of town, convenient to everything, and is considerably more diverse. Plenty of artistic types, nightclubs, really great restaurants, music venues, etc. You have UAB right down the road, downtown, parks, etc. etc.

As far as crime and safety is concerned, we never had a problem at all and we lived 1-2 blocks from the 'hood. That being said, the characters of neighborhoods can change quickly, so you really need to investigate the character of the area. However, if you're around the Highland Avenue area, particularly east of the Red Mountain Expressway, you really cannot go very wrong.

If your wife is a chef, then it's really Ground Zero for a number of great establishments. Highlands Bar and Grill was named by Gourmet as one of the Top 5 Restaurants in the United States. There's also Bottega, Hot & Hot, Chez Fon Fon, Ocean, Little Savannah, and quite a few others concentrated in a relatively small part of town. I really think that's the area for you, given your wife's needs. I think she would be miserable in the other locales if she didn't have a drivers' license.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Serious question - Dodge City, AL?

Why does your wife not drive? Your post reads like it has to do with her being Australian. She is not the only Australian in BHam:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area