U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2008, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times

Advertisements

I am a 32 year old mother of 2. I presently live in Tuscaloosa. I am attempting to leave an abusive relationship. I want to leave here and get away to Birmingham. I never finished college and I dont have that option now. I have no family to help. My credit is very bad. I have worked over the years in offices for $8-9 an hour, but I've always had my husband's income too. How hard is it to find a decent job with no degree in Birmingham? How much is rent for a decent 2br apartment? What are the areas i need to stay away from? What is the average pay for secretarial/clerical positions there? Am I just kidding myself or is it possible for me to make it on my own there?

Last edited by dogball88; 10-23-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM

253 posts, read 419,674 times
Here's a link to a listing, courtesy of the B'ham Public Libraries, of various shelters for abused women and children, as well as other social service agencies: Birmingham Public Library - Virtual Library - Subject Resources

If you're in a truly abusive relationship, you need to get yourself and your children out immediately, and then deal with finding a job and apartment. The folks who work at the places linked above can help you in your job and apartment search, too.

If you check the website for the local newspapers, al.com, you'll find a job listing link where you can search for jobs and even apply online. You'll also find a search page for rentals. I can't answer your questions about pay or rent, but if you check out the al.com website you'll find those answers. Once you get to B'ham, you can pick up apartment guides at any convenience store and most grocery stores. If you make $8.hr., I'd guess that you'd be looking for an apartment that rents for no more than $400/mo., and preferably more like $350. You may want to look into govt. assistance programs for low income families.

The most important thing is to make sure that you and your children are safe. Then you can deal with the rest. Best wishes.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM

25,262 posts, read 27,388,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogball88 View Post
I am a 32 year old mother of 2. I presently live in Tuscaloosa. I am attempting to leave an abusive relationship. I want to leave here and get away to Birmingham. I never finished college and I dont have that option now. I have no family to help. My credit is very bad. I have worked over the years in offices for $8-9 an hour, but I've always had my husband's income too. How hard is it to find a decent job with no degree in Birmingham? How much is rent for a decent 2br apartment? What are the areas i need to stay away from? What is the average pay for secretarial/clerical positions there? Am I just kidding myself or is it possible for me to make it on my own there?
I think there are any number of ministries that help women and families in your situation escape this kind of situation. They provide a place to stay, food, compassion, and job opportunities--without screeching at you about God all day.

Try this listing for a beginning: Women Shelters Alabama

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area