U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM

15 posts, read 45,968 times

Advertisements

Dear Tray,

I've been in Birmingham, in the Hoover area, since August. There is much to like about B'ham. I do like Homewood as well. From one mom to another, here is some advice. Seek out childcare NOW! UAB does have childcare, but I believe they have a huge waiting list.

I work part-time myself and have 2 kids. I found it a challenge to find care. There seems to be alot of half day care for preschoolers. Drop off at 9, pick up at 1. Most of these being church based preschools. These also have no summer care, if that is important to you.

We found a school in our area of Hoover/Homewood with "extended care" until 5, but there is no care in the summer. We're now on waiting list for a "daycare/preschool" but it could be up to a year before we get it.

I also find that registration for fall preschools is just about this time of year. So get ready.

Best of luck. Hope it helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM

28,906 posts, read 42,441,834 times
I'll tell you a GREAT daycare that we used: South Highlands Presbyterian Church has all-day care for kids. What's more, because it's located at the corner of Highland Avenue and Arrington Boulevard, it's incredibly convenient to UAB. I think Highlands United Methodist, Independent Presbyterian, and several other churches on Southside also have really good daycare programs. But Emmaw is totally right. Once you hit town for your initial visit, start scouring the town for daycare. In fact, I would try Birmingham Child Times as a source for information regarding day care and the what not. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 8,811 times
Thanks everyone for the great advice. As a matter of fact, childcare is a HUGE issue for me. The reason being, my classes at UAB are from 4 to 7pm, I'll also be working 3 days a week during the day. The university does this to try to convience people who work, but it only inconviences me because I need childcare. So not only will I need to find some sort of preschool, I'll also need to find some kind of evening care, but thanks for giving me the heads up. You guys are right, I'll need to start searching TODAY!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM

173 posts, read 503,699 times
My husband lived in Chicago for years before moving to Alabama and he does like it very much here, although he misses Superdawg

UA is a very nice campus. I think you will like it. As for the racial issues, Alabama is not at all like it was in the 60's. I know several professional black couples who moved here from Ohio and have chosen to stay.

Anyway, welcome to Alabama. I think you'll see it's different than what you have heard. I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay here.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 8,811 times
I am also planning to be in the Hoover area. My son is 4 years old. I'm thinking about sending him to a half day preschool, then paying for late afternoon care at a regular daycare center. What schools offer a half-day preschool program? I would like to get the ball rolling, the only thing is that I'm sure I'll need an "in-district" address before I can sign him up for a waitlist and I do not plan to sign my lease until May, and actually move-in until August so that concerns me. But I would like to look into these school ASAP. Thanks

-tray

Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM

28,906 posts, read 42,441,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tray5485 View Post
I am also planning to be in the Hoover area. My son is 4 years old. I'm thinking about sending him to a half day preschool, then paying for late afternoon care at a regular daycare center. What schools offer a half-day preschool program? I would like to get the ball rolling, the only thing is that I'm sure I'll need an "in-district" address before I can sign him up for a waitlist and I do not plan to sign my lease until May, and actually move-in until August so that concerns me. But I would like to look into these school ASAP. Thanks

-tray
Hoover is a good area of town, and I don't want to dissuade you. That being said, when you make your visit, take into account the distance between the day care and where you'll be working. You may not be comfortable with the 10+ miles between you and your son.

When is your visit? I think you wrote of March as your time to scout the area. When you get closer to that time, throw as many specific questions as you like, and we'll do our best to answer that. After all, you won't have a lot of time, and we want to make sure that your visit is as productive as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area