U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Birmingham: childcare, head-start programs, daycare providers, balanced budget, welfare

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 8,815 times

Advertisements

Hello eveyone. I am relocating to Birmingham from Illinois in August. I posted a thread awhile ago (thanks again to everyone for all of your much needed, and very helpful advice). But one thing that I am trying to coordinate is childcare. What do people do in Alabama for child care?!?! In Illinois, we have a program called CCR&R, that helps to assist families pay for child care (like most, if not all states, in some way or another). If you're eligible, you simply apply, wait 10 days for approval, then, Viola! You get help paying for childcare if you're in school and/or work. To my understanding, Alabama has a similar program but there's a waitlist, that apparently hasn't moved in over 2 years!

So what do people do? How do people afford $400+/month in child care if they're a student, or work part-time? I just don't understand. Do people just simply not work or go to school until their children are school-aged? Are their any head-start programs? Half-day preschool? My son is 4 years old, so he needs to be in school during the day! I've never been more confused in my entire life! I feel like panicking ! I'm afraid to even ask about the summer........

Thanks in advice, if you have any advice whatsoever PLEASE, PLEASE, help me!

-Tray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM

28,906 posts, read 42,462,707 times
I know there are Headstart programs and the like in Alabama. However, that being said, I cannot give you any specific information. I think your best bet is to talk to some daycare providers in the area, particularly closer to Birmingham, who have more experience in that area.

Hope everything gets resolved the way you like.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:41 AM

15,569 posts, read 47,089,830 times
Go to church? Some churches have a lot of bases covered.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 PM

4,210 posts, read 7,778,801 times
Alabama has low taxes and a balanced budget. Low taxes mean fewer services. People here seem to like it that way.

You could call State DHR and see if there are any programs available, but as you seem to have discovered, State welfare programs are not as generous as other states. State budget pressures also mean that existing welfare programs are likely to be cut.

If you're a student, the University may have a child care program.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,518,790 times
Birmingham has 10% sales tax. I am surprised there aren't more services.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:35 AM

892 posts, read 1,996,369 times
I had no idea someone could pay for my childcare- i worked and paid for it myself- this was a lONG time ago- Ithought everyone else did too!!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:10 AM

629 posts, read 3,149,842 times
We pay 1200 per month in DC and Tuition! No assistance! I wish there were...........it would really help!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:12 AM

629 posts, read 3,149,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tray5485 View Post
Hello eveyone. I am relocating to Birmingham from Illinois in August. I posted a thread awhile ago (thanks again to everyone for all of your much needed, and very helpful advice). But one thing that I am trying to coordinate is childcare. What do people do in Alabama for child care?!?! In Illinois, we have a program called CCR&R, that helps to assist families pay for child care (like most, if not all states, in some way or another). If you're eligible, you simply apply, wait 10 days for approval, then, Viola! You get help paying for childcare if you're in school and/or work. To my understanding, Alabama has a similar program but there's a waitlist, that apparently hasn't moved in over 2 years!

So what do people do? How do people afford $400+/month in child care if they're a student, or work part-time? I just don't understand. Do people just simply not work or go to school until their children are school-aged? Are their any head-start programs? Half-day preschool? My son is 4 years old, so he needs to be in school during the day! I've never been more confused in my entire life! I feel like panicking ! I'm afraid to even ask about the summer........

Thanks in advice, if you have any advice whatsoever PLEASE, PLEASE, help me!

-Tray
You may need to put off your education for now and get a full time job.....I have never heard of any type of assistance! Seems that would be up to the parent to pay for that, not a govmnt agency! IMO

Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM

5,705 posts, read 14,779,634 times
The stay-at-home mom is alive and well in Alabama!

That said, there are quite a few churches - especially with African-American roots - who offer full child care. Also, home babysitters are common - place an ad in the paper to hire. And people offer childcare in their homes. Some homes are licensed by the state; some are not.

I'd suggest you start with the college, and ask about childcare resources. Sometimes the college itself offers it. Ask the women in the office...and keep asking. Most of this knowledge is word of mouth, not published or organized anywhere.

Good luck, dear!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 PM

111 posts, read 161,230 times
Child Care Resources is a non-profit that is supposed to help people find child care in the Birmingham area. You might give them a call. I don't know anything about them personally, but I stumbled across their website whilst looking for something else.

If I recall, you're planning to attend UAB. The school has a Child Development Center, but their website is a little confusing. On one page they say they provide child care for students and employees. On another page they say it's for employees only, and that there's a 1 to 2 year wait, and it costs $706 per month. You will find that this kind of confusion is typical of UAB, as the administration of the school is a ridiculous joke. My advice to you is to look at that web page, then don't believe anything on it until you have made some phone calls and verified the information for yourself. It would surprise me if they didn't have some sort of program to provide childcare for students at least at a much lower rate than for employees.

Like I said, expect confusion at UAB. When I first transferred there, they didn't bother to send me any orientation information. Nothing at all, other than a letter saying I had been accepted. When I inquired about how to register, they said that they don't send that information to their transfer students because they assume the students already know what they need to know about college life. Um, what? It might help to have some info on how to register for classes.

When attempting to register in my second year, they put a stop on my registration because they had lost my proof of measles vaccination. I had gotten the vaccination at the student clinic. Luckily I keep better records than they do, and I still had the vaccination forms they filled out.

Another semester, the registration system wouldn't let me register for certain classes because it said I lacked the necessary prerequisites. Further investigation showed that they had left classes off my transcript. Then, when I convinced them to put the classes back on my transcript, they added them as generic credits that the system didn't see as fulfilling the prerequisite requirements.

Three weeks before my last semester I tried to get in to see my adviser, only to be told that there were no appointments available for the next two months. The receptionist looked at me and said, sarcastically, "What do you think about that?"

At one point the university disabled my user ID and email access for no apparent reason. I emailed the help desk from my personal email address, then heard nothing from them. I emailed again and heard nothing. So I tracked down one of the guys who maintained the computer lab in my building to help me get back into the system. It turned out they had been sending me email responses to my university email account, which I couldn't access, because my account was suspended. They said the reason my account had been suspended was because I didn't have a valid email address on file. WTF?

There's more, but I'll be here all night if I don't stop. The school has some good academic programs, but the administration of the place is a freakin' joke. Meanwhile Carol Garrison is one of the top 25 highest paid university administrators in the country.

Sorry for the rant. Looking at that childcare web page caused my PTSD to kick in. You should prepare yourself to have patience, both in your studies and if you try to pursue this child care thing with the university. If you call and ask about childcare and get an answer you don't like, try calling somebody else, because sometimes the fine folks who run the place have no idea what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area