U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM

9 posts, read 28,525 times

Advertisements

South of Birmingham is a breath of fresh air..
My family and I recently moved to VA from Chelsea, and I miss the area terrible (That would be why I surf this sight)
We are military and have lived in 8 states in 15 years. Always around a metropoliton area. My sales job while in Bham had me in and around the city in about a 50 mile radius.
I don't want to offend anyone so remember this is just my opinion. Over the Mountain area is a beautiful place and has everything you could want from a city, to include all the hassels. Chelsea, and I'll bet several other cities in this area have the true bennifit of the larger cities but have also held on to the community aspects of a small town. Trussville (just my opinion) is a giant strip mall. It has given up all resemblence to a town. Let alone the "small town" values that made this Yankee fall in love with AL.

Plus 280 (don't mention traffic, you don't know traffic till you visit Boston or DC...I could go on) is a great get away road. I loved it to get to FL. And 65 on the other side of Chelsea got us to the AL beaches post hast.

AL's tourist department doesn't do the state justice! Sorry to tell you, I'm telling everyone who will listen and some who wont, how great the area is. I hope Chelsea never losses that grass roots feel. It is a treasure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 PM

283 posts, read 1,037,985 times
If I was to guess, I would say it is because of the opportunities that exist for owners and retailers. Recreation, parks, available land, colleges, other thriving towns and most importantly access to all the above by interstates within just a few minutes travel. The decent roads in between don't hurt either.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 AM

111 posts, read 161,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melfbad View Post
Plus 280 (don't mention traffic, you don't know traffic till you visit Boston or DC...I could go on) is a great get away road.
Okay, since I have lived in DC and New York and have driven fairly extensively in Boston, I guess I do know traffic. And what I know about it is that 280 is a ridiculous mess that isn't justified by the volume flowing along it. Part of it is poor design. Part of it is irresponsible, unchecked growth that has outpaced the traffic infrastructure. Part of it is the irrational unwillingness of residents in the area to allow the right changes to the infrastructure to help traffic flow. And part of it is stupid drivers who don't drive aggressively enough to make it work. In other areas of the country you will encounter various mixtures of those elements, but rarely do you find them all working against you on one road to the extent that you see them on 280.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times
Now that I-22 is about to be finished and the Birmingham Northern Belitline is about to start construction, does anyone think that any growth will finally occur NW of Birmingham? That area has been lacking in the growth department for years.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 AM

234 posts, read 584,580 times
It's all about the quality of life and the advent of highways.

The quality of life has long been better in the southern areas of the metro. The northern areas have been very slow to catch up. Blount, Walker and Saint Clair are still in catch up mode, Saint Clair is doing better than the other two, but it's still one of them.

Highways have a lot to do with it too. The advent of 459 is a big reason, the same goes for 280.

I imagine that as soon as 22 gets finished the Northwestern areas will start booming. It might even aid in getting Birmingham out of the rut that it's been in for the past half century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area