U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 AM

5,771 posts, read 4,100,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamster View Post
But...the Northern Beltline is part of the ADHS and that money can only be spent on ADHS projects. Not wherever you want.
It is going to keep coming back to this no matter what. Other pressing projects ARE ongoing. People still drive cars. Pinson, graysville etc will benefit and prosper as will the entire metro. Saying those towns cant afford to build anything to take advantage if it is silly. Private enterprise handles that.

Last edited by Tourian; 08-27-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 PM

AL reports that the army corps of engineers has approved the permit for the first segment of the NB - a small segment between 75 and 79 out in Pinson.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 AM

1,755 posts, read 1,012,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
AL reports that the army corps of engineers has approved the permit for the first segment of the NB - a small segment between 75 and 79 out in Pinson.

Actually they reiterated their approval based on needing to verify coming back in for more land did not introduce new issues.
This section includes a strip of my land by Marsh Mountain. They came back and bought more land at the end of last year due to increasing the number of lanes from Trussville to Gardendale.

The original study was so wide that in most places the increased land did not fall outside the original approval. All a technicality.

raj

Old 10-01-2013, 05:26 AM

It figures that the story I read wouldn't have any finer details like that. It could change the perception of the project in some people's minds if they knew that kind of thought and prep were going into it. Trussville and Gardendale are the two biggest cities on that end and will undoubtedly appreciate having the extra lanes on their section of the bypass.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM

1,755 posts, read 1,012,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It figures that the story I read wouldn't have any finer details like that. It could change the perception of the project in some people's minds if they knew that kind of thought and prep were going into it. Trussville and Gardendale are the two biggest cities on that end and will undoubtedly appreciate having the extra lanes on their section of the bypass.
I make this trip on Black Creek Road fairly often, and it is the best route. It is somewhat like a winding country road, very pretty in most places, but is filled with people's homes. I am sure that these home owners will be glad when traffic such as mine is off their road. I will be able to make this twenty minute drive in five minutes on 422 and have access to services and help if a problem arises. On my current route there are no services and only praying for help will get you any.

You are correct. What you do or don't say does paint a certain image of the project. Such as if one person on a street does not want it, they say the neighborhood is against it. (they don't mention that the person against it is elderly and does not drive.

One can skew a story any way you want. Getting the facts helps. I just say to people; look at 459 and how well it moves traffic, how beautiful the drive is and how much economic growth it encouraged and ask what is not to like about that. The people in north Jefferson pay taxes at the gas pump weekly too, why shouldn't they have a road system from this century and for the future.

raj

Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM

2,339 posts, read 3,109,350 times
I have a question regarding the funding. Posters here have frequently stated that its paid for by the Feds. However this article states:
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/10/...line_to_b.html
Quote:
Until funding rules changed on Oct. 1, 2012, Appalachian system projects received dedicated funding. On that date, the current federal transportation bill became law. ALDOT has about $160 million remaining, ALDOT Director John Cooper said.

The money will be used to finish paving Interstate 22 (formerly known as Corridor X) and Alabama 24 (also known as Corridor V).

There will be enough remaining to build the first Northern Beltline segment without the department having to seek additional funding, Cooper said.

Harris said Monday that projects approved prior to September 2022 are eligible for no-match federal dollars.

Asked whether building the beltline's cost will require delays on other projects, Cooper said all projects compete for funding.

"This is a mega project," Cooper said. "It has huge overriding significance to the longer-term well-being of this area. We have to find a way to fund it."
Does this mean that only a portion of the highway is covered? How much?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM

25,279 posts, read 27,422,500 times
Here's my question. Why will the damned thing take 30 years to build?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I have a question regarding the funding. Posters here have frequently stated that its paid for by the Feds. However this article states:
Bentley: Northern Beltline to be built 'the most environmentally responsible way possible' (updated, photos) | al.com

Does this mean that only a portion of the highway is covered? How much?
Seems ambiguous to me. They way I understand it is that Bachus or Shelby whoever got the funds allocated from the Feds prior to the new law. We being a donor state means we only have to put in so much to get a multiple number of that amount back. That may be why they claim it will take that long to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
financing? Sink hole abatement? Blasting? I believe they want the segment between 65 and 59 to be done in 10.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,047,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Look at the route and the terrain challenges builders will face. That might answer your question.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM

227 posts, read 178,443 times
i with both sides on this i mean nothing but good can come from building this road and at the same time that money which is federal dollars if you don't take it could be given to another state, but 5 billion could do wonders in this state for other projects as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area