Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

Better not go into B'ham to buy beer MonaLisaVito with your kids unless you can get them a fake ID!!!!

If they asked for my ID that would make my day!!!

I think someone at Walmart misunderstood the rules for checking IDs. I can understand if the person was 21 and buying only beer with an underage teen with them but someone who bought $250.00 in groceries isn't in there buying beer for an underage teen.

Besides if this is there practice you know teens are well aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
The general rule is to check both, I suppose with the thought that they both might be drinking it. Like I said, it is a bit extreme, but that is Wal-Mart for you.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Pretty crazy in my book.
I work at Wal-Mart and though the issue of a "third party" purchase was mentioned, nothing was mentioned about having to check BOTH people's IDs.
I just have to look for signs that might lead me to believe that an older person is buying beer for a younger person.
Thank goodness I can't sell alcohol anyway...I'm 18.
Most managers probably won't check BOTH people's IDs....they are just trying to get through with your transaction.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 PM

172 posts, read 609,240 times
I believe that is a Walmart policy. They've had a lot of problems with alcohol being purchased for minors or illegals (illegals don't have an id to show in order prove thier age).

Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Better not go into B'ham to buy beer MonaLisaVito with your kids unless you can get them a fake ID!!!!
I wonder if their county pool passes will work!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy246 View Post
Yesterday my daughter (age 17) and I went to WalMart for our weekly trip. I spent over $250 on groceries, etc. I was buying an 18 pack of beer for hubby and a 6 pack for me - in addition to the full cart of groceries. The cashier said he had to see both mine and my daughter's i.d. Said it was a new law - - if anyone is purchasing alcohol and an underage person is accompanying that person, then both must be carded. I have never heard of this nor has anyone I've mentioned this to since it happened. Has anyone heard of this? When was this enacted? Is it just WalMart? I would hate that I couldn't get my child to help me with my grocery shopping just because me and my husband want to buy beer.
Ya gotta love the bible belt. Enjoy !!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 16,789 times
Default also refused beer with minor present

Yes, I have had it happen to me too, with my daughter present-new Wal-Mart in Eastwood, cart full of groceries one 6 pack of beer. Also, had it happen in Portland, Oregon a few years back at a posh Hagen grocery store-although nothing Portland does surprises me...

Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,167 times
I think walmart needs to have a taste of their own medicine the next time they ask the person that is with me to see their ID and they are not even buying beer they better get ready to put everything back on their shelves. This happen to me at the walmart in Alma Michigan I spoke with the manager and he said they were told by the state police to do this and it is a new law does anyone know when this law came in to effect I can not find it anywhere. But they sold beer to me two weeks ago when my granddaughter was with me isn't that a HOOT!!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 AM

112 posts, read 183,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralexander1956 View Post
I think walmart needs to have a taste of their own medicine the next time they ask the person that is with me to see their ID and they are not even buying beer they better get ready to put everything back on their shelves. This happen to me at the walmart in Alma Michigan I spoke with the manager and he said they were told by the state police to do this and it is a new law does anyone know when this law came in to effect I can not find it anywhere. But they sold beer to me two weeks ago when my granddaughter was with me isn't that a HOOT!!

Stupid indeed...I am not aware of any State statute that restricts this type of purchase...that said, a store is not "required" to sell you anything.

It's stupid because it's bogus not to sell it...you can send your child to the car before checkout and buy the crap...it's moralistic and primitive reasoning to refuse the sale, but WalMart has gotten sued for getting into the personal lives and even dating lives of its own employees....years ago they fired a new executive who moved to the Bentonville area and was building a house....his supervisor exec thought the house was "ostentacious" and "too big"....they trumped up justification to separate the newly hired exec and he returned to the NE......

A manufacturer's rep who lived in a suburb of Memphis had WalMart as a customer...it was let known that the buyers did not want to "see" reps calling on them, driving highline, expensive cars such as Caddy's BMWs and Mercedes....the rep who I know well said he had to "drop off" his Benz at the dealership for "service" and pick up a "rental type car" to drive and park it on WalMart's parking lot....
These WallyWorld idiots had no business attempting to dictate what a free hard working person drives, but they purposefully tried to intimidate outside suppliers.....imagine that.....and this really happened !
It amounts to coercion and bribery (in reverse), I might have told them it was none of their business what I "drove"....for all they knew, I could have inherited a fortune or a car or two, own my own manu/rep firm and work harder than their own low-paid buyers...Screw them and the horse they rode in on....who cares what someone "drives" ...hell it could be one cheap-azz company paid LEASED BMW for 399/mo.....lol.....stupid stupid crap they are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area